What can we do to improve the hereford breed

Help Support CattleToday:

hereford obsesed

Reaction score
How can we improve the hereford breed to be so called "As good as the Angus." WHat can we breed them to without makeing them a mix of something any answers. [/quote]

Hereford beef is already good the Angus people have done a better jod of marketing. What are your bloodlines there is some kick butt blood lines out there. My personal favorites are Feltons, Vindicator, and number 1 favorite is Braxton Giant 1 .

No offense to the good Angus people I have met, I would rather raise goats. I have ran a lot of different breeds in thirty years everything has its place. I have ran angus I have one left , replacing with British Whites. The BW's meat quality is as good or better than Angus, and they are smart enough to know what a fence is for. But till the day I die I will be a Hereford man. As I said before it's like the little boy who kissed the calf in the butt everyone to their own taste.

More careful selection criteria, diminish the extremes, pay more attention to production the show. Cull the bloodlines that have prolapse problems and eat them rather then pass them on as breeding stock.
The association os doeing a good deal on the marketing end but they have a long way to go to catch up with blk Angus in that regard. But so do the other breed associations. Rather then trying to make them the same as Angus, they need to be marketed as what they are, an alternative to them with a very positive position in a crossbreeding program.

dun

hereford obsesed":556goh0k said:
How can we improve the hereford breed to be so called "As good as the Angus." WHat can we breed them to without makeing them a mix of something any answers.
[/quote]

As everybody in the world probably knows by now, I'm a very strong proponent of Herefords. And believe it or not, I do try to provide solid well thought out answers. But sometimes I get my back up or just have to poke a stick into something.
I wish Shorthorns had stayed more production oriented instead of the show ring so I could find a good solid EPD bull with decent accuracy. I really like SHorthorns too, but the Angus and Hereford gene pools are just so much deeper. I hate seeing these FS 7 plus Herefords that some of these folks are so proud of.

dun

Campground Cattle":2vs295o0 said:
Dun about time you jumped in. Thanks this boy got me stirred up.

Campground Cattle":2cg61ntz said:
Dun about time you jumped in. Thanks this boy got me stirred up.

By "boy" I guess you were referring to me. Hard to take that as a compliment, but allow me to expand on my statement. Angus X Hereford are excellent compliments to each other. They are typically both made better than their parents by the cross.

dun":kdn3i093 said:
As everybody in the world probably knows by now, I'm a very strong proponent of Herefords. And believe it or not, I do try to provide solid well thought out answers.

Yeah, we know, but most of us don't hold that against you. Since you are still a rookie at the cow business, we figure after you get a few years experience raising cows, you'll come around to the Angus way of life.

LOL :D

HUH??? Are you nuts I thought your name was Hereford obessessed??? Herefords are good the way they are they just need to be breed to other herefords from different blood lines to make them look better. Like around here they probably are all related somehow. Look we just need to make them popular.
Ellie May

Jake ,
You may not remember however there was a time not so long ago that the angus breed won the Chicago fat show always, Then the T O ranch got to winning some with Herefords and soon you couldn't give an angus bull away. Now Angus cattle are making their third or fourth lap through popularity. Does that meen that anything that has been popular will be popular again? No. I can tell you one thing for certain nothing stays the same. Just because your on top now dosen't give room for conciet ar comfort. Keep trying to improve them just as the original post is suggesting that this breeder is trying to do. Success isn,t the difference between you and the person behind you it's overcoming the person in front of you.If you are the supreme angus breeder in the world congratulations if not try to get better and try to help others at the same time.

Ollie,
I'm just a little commercial producer that uses angus bulls on angus/hereford cows. Grant it most of the cows have enough angus in them to get rid of the white face but when herefords brought more that's what we raised. When colored cattle sold best around here we used charlois and gelbvieh bulls. As a comercial producer I'll continue to raise what will bring the most money come sale time. There is nothing wrong with herefords and I wasn't trying to imply that. My cattle aren't the best in the country and I'm not going to say that because there is always some cattle that I'd like to have the money to be able to get a hold of and have the pasture for them. Give me a few years so I can get done with my education and I'll invite you out to look at some of my stuff. They will keep improving because there is always something that can be improved in a herd.
Sorry i was so long winded
Jake

Let me congratulate you early on your success. You take criticism well and seem eager to learn. You will be successful. Now what would they have to do in the hereford breed to make you use them. How much money they bring isn't the only thing that makes money in your pocket.

Well thank you. I personally think that the udder quality in the herefords I have looked at needs improved drastically. There are a few nit picky things that I could come up with but its not anything that everybreed needs to work on in some aspect or another. I understand that there are more economics to the buisiness than just how much money they bring. There are a lot of tangibles and intangibles that go along with the business but that's what makes it worth while.

DR the boy comment was to the original poster no disrespect intended. I have read your post its plain that you are an expeiranced cattleman. I think everyone brings something to the table . I just get a little passionate defending the Herefords

hereford obsesed":1uviak9n said:
How can we improve the hereford breed to be so called "As good as the Angus." WHat can we breed them to without makeing them a mix of something any answers.
[/quote]

"as good as the angus"? herefords already are better in certain traits than angus. if you're asking for a way to improve the hereford breed as a whole, there are plenty of things to breed & look for (& not just the hereford breed)......fertility, structural soundness, maternal traits (milk, good udders), pigment, consistent carcass traits. we should not be chasing any one trait because we've been down that road from the short & fat to the tall & thin. personally, i think some of the angus are single-trait selecting a little too much lately chasing imf......yes, that is definitely a plus for the breed & for CAB but not at the expense of everything else they've been breeding for. it's not easy breeding the "complete package" but i think that's what we should all be reaching for regardless of the breed we choose.

Straight Hereford COWS will never be popular again and they shouldn't be. There are many problems with a hereford cow and i understand that they have been culling against these defects for a few years now. Cancer eye, sunburned tits, pinkeye, turbo tits, poor milking ability. There are simply other breeds of cows that have less problems, seems to be in two areas for the Herefords, UDDERS AND EYES. The herefords carcass merit and it's forageability make it the logical choice for crossbreeding. Hereford BULLS are where it's at. HEREFORD BULLS ANGUS COWS, even the Hereford Association admits this is where their market is headed in their ad marketing campaign.

Latest posts