What can a friendly 150 pound donkey do?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Meet toto the Jenny:

toto.jpg

We've had her for a while now - I had posted about her before. Today I saw her do something that definitely surprised me. Now meet flame the brangus bull:

brangusflash.jpg

The Jenny has been in the same paddock as this bull for about a month now. The kids and I stopped by today and gave them a bucket of feed to brighten their day:

totonflash.jpg

To my surprise, the little Jenny backed up and kicked the bull until he eventually moved back from the feed. I found it hard to believe that a 150 pound donkey could keep this 2000 pound or so bull from feed, but she did. The bull went to the round bale to eat hay. Kind of amazing to me, anyone ever witness a donkey show off it's dominance?

Just for the record, we gave the bull some feed away from the donkey (poor little bull)

I haven't seen as donkey do that to a bull, but horses will generally steal food from any cow/bull/calf, etc. Horses can be just down right mean to cattle in my experiences.

Oh yeah. Jack don't play around. He is as much a nuisance at times as not.

Your donkey is weighing better that 150 pounds.

Wewild":8hg477hl said:
Your donkey is weighing better that 150 pounds.

Your right, I think her head and ears weigh that alone :lol2:

If you look close at the first picture. you can see the Jenny's ears above the topline of the bull. Now that's ears.

greatgerts":xldvq47s said:
Jenny could be used to halter-break calves! And, I'd agree that she looks more than 150 lbs.

+1 Tie a fair calf to a donkey, the donkey will kick the snot out of it till it leads around where ever the donkey goes. You will be able to lead that calf anywhere. Scott

Donkeys have a couple of good uses when it comes to cattle
1. preditor control for calves...only one donkey in the pasture. The donkey does not like cyotes or wolves or such
2. keep bulls from fighting. One donkey can keep a couple of bulls in their place pretty good. When we go shopping for bulls, you can see a difference in ranches who have a donkey in the bulls and a ranch that does not

rockridgecattle":3qfmyrw0 said:
One donkey can keep a couple of bulls in their place pretty good. When we go shopping for bulls, you can see a difference in ranches who have a donkey in the bulls and a ranch that does not

RR,
Since July I've had the brangus bull with my angus plus bull - both very big boys in a small paddock, and I can't think of one fight that they got in besides the occasional head butting. Perhaps toto has an added value?

I agree with beefy donkeys do whatever they want. We have three of them in two different pastures we bought them to protect our cows from coyotes and dogs but they more of an nuisance than an help. A lil Story.. I was fixing some fence in on one of our places and I heard this awful noise, of cows bawling and hollering and then I see our jack chasing this lil bull calf and a chain of bought 15 cows chasing after the donkey. The donkey was trying to bite the calfs neck always wondered what set him off. It was a sight for sure. For the kicking thing when we feed our cows away from the donkeys separate, they will take over all the feeding places and kick and bite to stay that way.

cypressfarms":3iyw2eg7 said:
Now meet flame the brangus bull:

brangusflash.jpg

The Jenny has been in the same paddock as this bull for about a month now. The kids and I stopped by today and gave them a bucket of feed to brighten their day:

That is one well fed bull. That bucket must be pretty big. :D

SFFarms said:
The donkey was trying to bite the calfs neck always wondered what set him off. It was a sight for sure.

Was it intact?
If so it was rutting season :)

Need to geld donkeys

I had one in our pasture- we turned loose a new bull(that was in a BAD mood)
-it caught sight of that donkey and full out charged it. The donkey just kept grazing(I figured it was a goner). As the bull got to it ,it calmly turned and kicked it about three times in rapid succession . The bull left and the donkey went back to grazing.

john250":xg2vdppo said:
That is one well fed bull. That bucket must be pretty big. :D

Nope,

This brangus was bought by me but spends his breeding time at my dads. This past season I moved him into a paddock with an angus plus bull and the donkey. Nothing but grass for the big fella. I don't like him expecting something (feed) whenever people show up. He's way too big to be friends with. Maybe that's what the jenny was thinking.

I have two calves we are feeding out with my mini donks and I have to pen the donks away from the calves during feeding time because they will run them off from the feeder. I am talking 700 pound tiger striped calves that let 200 pound animals intimidate them.

Donkeys are little piggies when it comes to feed. To their credit, the calves will chase the donks away from the mineral bucket.

SFFarms":1rh8bnr8 said:
I agree with beefy donkeys do whatever they want. We have three of them in two different pastures we bought them to protect our cows from coyotes and dogs but they more of an nuisance than an help. A lil Story.. I was fixing some fence in on one of our places and I heard this awful noise, of cows bawling and hollering and then I see our jack chasing this lil bull calf and a chain of bought 15 cows chasing after the donkey. The donkey was trying to bite the calfs neck always wondered what set him off. It was a sight for sure. For the kicking thing when we feed our cows away from the donkeys separate, they will take over all the feeding places and kick and bite to stay that way.

Never keep an in tact jack with calves. They will run them to death. Use a jennet or a gelding. Jacks aren't good for anything but making other donkeys.

Toto has a nice color, BTW. I would love to find a red hersire like that.

The only Jack we've had don't mess with the cows, calves or bulls. He loves horses and open gates. He has been her for 10 years or more.

Latest posts