What can a friendly 150 pound donkey do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Wewild":2r4vc9lh said:
The only Jack we've had don't mess with the cows, calves or bulls. He loves horses and open gates. He has been her for 10 years or more.

Oh yeah. Leave the gate open, just for a second, and all my donks will be out.
I had a jack that was good natured and never bothered cattle. The one I have now will run anything to death if he gets a chance. Neighbors asked me the other day why I keep him in his own little pasture. It's because he really is an Ass.

I'm comteplating getting the jenny pictured bred this coming spring. She has a fairly good "personality" and friendly with the kids. I think the kids would like to see a baby donk. I like toto's color - perhaps she would throw the same. If it were a jack, it would be gelded immediately - but she is protective of almost all of the animals around the farm. I'd seperate them after weaning and send the baby to a paddock with cows to learn the ropes on protecting them. We've been having a larger prescence of coyotes lately, and a protective donkey might just be the ticket.

cypressfarms":3uzw32i6 said:
I'm comteplating getting the jenny pictured bred this coming spring. She has a fairly good "personality" and friendly with the kids. I think the kids would like to see a baby donk. I like toto's color - perhaps she would throw the same. If it were a jack, it would be gelded immediately - but she is protective of almost all of the animals around the farm. I'd seperate them after weaning and send the baby to a paddock with cows to learn the ropes on protecting them. We've been having a larger prescence of coyotes lately, and a protective donkey might just be the ticket.

See if you can find another sorrel jack to breed her to. If she's bred to a grey dun, she;ll throw grey. That is why we got a spotted jack. Threw several spotted foals and then two of them were solid grey duns this time. Grey is the dominant color and they will throw greys sometimes no matter what.

Baby donks are the best. We are just thrilled every time we have one here. They are just so cute ane cuddly! Your kids will love it.

Never keep an in tact jack with calves. They will run them to death. Use a jennet or a gelding. Jacks aren't good for anything but making other donkeys.

Thanks Lammie.

Ive always heard that but the donkeys is my moms lil project the jack was a rescue project of hers. He's not to much to worry about though hes way up in age and barely gets around. But we had our first baby donkey this spring and we were suprised of the old jack. :eek: :D

Latest posts