What business are you really in?

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas PaPaw

Reaction score
Recently a person I had just met asked me what business I was in. I replied that I was in the cattle business, a rancher. Wasn't completely accurate but that is what folks expect to hear and can at least somewhat relate to. A few years ago it finally dawned on me that I'm really in the business of converting feed resources into dollar$ and cattle are just a tool I use. Has changed the way I approach things now.

What business are you really in?? Would like to hear your take on this.

Texas PaPaw":3592t0si said:
Recently a person I had just met asked me what business I was in. I replied that I was in the cattle business, a rancher. Wasn't completely accurate but that is what folks expect to hear and can at least somewhat relate to. A few years ago it finally dawned on me that I'm really in the business of converting feed resources into dollar$ and cattle are just a tool I use. Has changed the way I approach things now.

I am a grass farmer converting grass to cash using bovine.

Caustic Burno":1if4hbwy said:
Texas PaPaw":1if4hbwy said:

I am a grass farmer converting grass to cash using bovine.
What CB said!

It changes from day to day

Right now we are lambing heavy so I am a sheep farmer

In about a month we are calving and I will be a cattle guy.

In about two months I will be doing some other stuff and I will be in the military

Later this year I will be finding a job for about 40 different veterans and I will be a "human resistance" guy

Essentially I am a jack of all trades and master of few

Bez__

Engineer. Benefitting from cattle on a sideline. I hustle some stone from time to time. Weld a little. Engineering is my mainstay.

I'm like Bez because it changes. At the moment my main concern is the chicken biz. Not the "sell me something that will squat an egg type of chicken", but the ones these preppy stay at home moms will pay through the nose for that looks pretty in their backyard flock. Seems to be working, too.

my business is to make a decent living and be happy. Roofing supply pays the bills and allowed me to invest in a few cows. The lifestyle on the farm makes me happy and the cows pay for that.

Construction, specifically residential remodel, is what pays the bills. I wear a different hat every day. Business manager, marketing, sales, designer, project manager, carpenter, painter, grunt laborer. Whatever is needed on any given day.

Raising food for farm to consumer sales is what I do because I love it. Well, I've been doing it until this year anyway. Still hope to make it my real business one day.

Surviving cancers.
Doing pretty good at it too.
Also feeding cats

well like CB said im a farmer 1st.as you have to have grass to feed the cows.and thats my only business.

Tree service / Landscaping / Excavation / Concrete
Grown up baby sitter as well since thats how my employees act
Row crop farmer
Used farm equipment sales
Cattle/grass farmer

Actually I am retired wore out oil patch trash that likes to look at cows.

This infectious disease was caught at an early age and I became infected at 14.
This was diagnosed as incurable. Symptoms can be fits of cussing followed by prayer,
high blood pressure,insomnia talking to inanimate objects.
Seeking advice from a K-9 for the current FUBAR situation is a sign you have a full blown
case and will die with the disease.

Totally retired and run cattle because I love it. Hope to make a profit but seems all I really do is try to hold the loss to a minimum. Do some volunteer work one day a week.

It's looking more and more like I'm retired from commercial fishing. My youngest son is doing real well fishing without my help. I'm going to grow some corn, raise some calves and just enjoy my time in the woods.

A teacher/coach, I also have a small lawn mowing business.
My cows are paying off a tractor, hay baler, and hay mower, hopefully.
Trying to get everything in order so I can retire from teaching in 7 years.

Latest posts