What bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a real menagarie of cattle. They are more pets/hobby for me and my family. I have two 'Belties, 5 Holsteins, and my son and daughter were just given a jersey and guernsey as pets from their grandparents dairy. What would be a good bull to use on all of these for calving ease for the smaller cows and still be good to cross with my holsteins. My dad said a Hereford. Any thoughts? thanks

[email protected]

I think that a good Angus bull can do more for a calf crop from a diverse set of cattle than any other breed. You'll get a uniform color (black), Angus maternal traits are second to none, sale barns and feedlots like them. Good luck...

> I have a real menagarie of cattle.
> They are more pets/hobby for me
> and my family. I have two
> 'Belties, 5 Holsteins, and my son
> and daughter were just given a
> jersey and guernsey as pets from
> their grandparents dairy. What
> would be a good bull to use on all
> of these for calving ease for the
> smaller cows and still be good to
> cross with my holsteins. My dad
> said a Hereford. Any thoughts?
> thanks

[email protected]

> I think that a good Angus bull can
> do more for a calf crop from a
> diverse set of cattle than any
> other breed. You'll get a uniform
> color (black), Angus maternal
> traits are second to none, sale
> barns and feedlots like them. Good
> luck... Angus ...or maybe a gelbvieh, they make really good crosses with holstiens from what I've seen and they have great claving ease and are really good mothers. jane

Not meaning to be a heretic, but have you considered Murray Grey? They cross very well with dairy breeds, I've seen a couple crossed with Galloways and it worked, and they are very docile. Calves (purebred) average around 75lbs for bulls and 70lbs for heifer calves. Crossbreds are usually smaller when bred dairy. If you want more information, visit the website indicated below!

Murray Grey International

As a Murray Grey breeder, I have to agree with Vicki. Take a look at the breed. I, too, think a Murray Grey bull with good epd's would be a great choice.

Our Murray Greys have been crossed locally with everything from Jersey's to Milking Shorthorns to commercial cattle and the only calving difficulty has been the rare backwards calf. Otherwise, the owners say the calves just "popped out." It's not only the low birthweight but the fact the Murray Greys have sloping shoulders that slide out easily during calving that make them a good choice.

Here's another resource for Murray Grey information.

You might also contact the Australian Murray Grey Society for a nice packet of information.

> Not meaning to be a heretic, but
> have you considered Murray Grey?
> They cross very well with dairy
> breeds, I've seen a couple crossed
> with Galloways and it worked, and
> they are very docile. Calves
> (purebred) average around 75lbs
> for bulls and 70lbs for heifer
> calves. Crossbreds are usually
> smaller when bred dairy. If you
> want more information, visit the
> website indicated below!

http://www.murraygrey.com

Thanks for the help. Ill probably "borrow" one of my uncles Angus bulls. My wife now wants to buy a Shorthorn heifer she saw in the paper. Will it ever end? LOL

[email protected]

Latest posts