What bull would you use on brangus cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Newcutter

Reaction score
I am in the process of purchasing a set of brangus cows and was wondering what breed of bull to use on them either a Hereford or Angus bull.

I think either would cross well with them. Both would make nice replacements or feeders whichever route you were wanting to take. The Hereford would give you the most bang for your buck with the Heterosis with the calves. You might get some red calves now and then and possibly some horns depending on if your cows were red carriers and the horn genes on the bull. The Angus bull would give you some nice solid black calves with less leather.

Ask your market buyers what they want.

If you are selling to the local sale barn, call them and ask them what cross they recommend. If you are selling replacements, look at what people are buying. If you are selling to the 4H / FFA kids, ask the extension agent what they need.

Some areas, at the sale barn the stocker / feeder buyers prefer Brangus Baldies. Other areas prefer smokies (Brangus - Charolais). Others prefer red baldies. Ask who are plan to sell to what they want.

Cattle with "ear" tend to get discounted at the sale barn. I like the charolais idea.

You have been given some great advice. I would lean toward a Hereford but would also consider Charolais, Simmental or Gelbvieh.

As for asking buyers what they want, they will tell you make them good and castrate the bull calves because their customers don't have the labor to do it anymore.

Latest posts