What bull would you put with brangus cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":187f8pd2 said:
Mister flying g that bull may get by on little or nothing but anybody can see he needs something.

:nod: :nod: if he was mine id pour some feed to him.

Just because my picture is of him the day after I bought him doesn't mean I haven't fed him since. I will take a new picture of him so you can see what a little hay and cubes have done for him. I am not implying I want to keep a thin bull by saying he can get by on little to nothing. I am simpling stating that he is not a 1800lbs fed out bull that I have to keep pouring feed to in order to keep him right. I bought him mid January so I have had him about two months now.

TexasBred":2b986s5f said:
DAYMON":2b986s5f said:
I have a six brangus cows and was wondering what kind of bull you would put with them to make the best calfs. They were bred to a herford bull when I got them and they all had good calfs that are really growing fast. I was just wondering what would have the same fast growth but give me black calves so I might get a little more when I sell.

thank you

Daymon

I"m assuming you want calves that are ALL black.. Right??? Bred them to an angus. Will knock a bit of the ear off them and still have a very growthy calf. (Ultra-Black)....or you can always just breed them to a brangus bull but only if you are hoping for some replacements. Personally I'd keep breeding to a polled hereford.

I would roll the dice and breed em to a Hereford just like that Simmi I want to purchase. Not much difference in my opinion. Big stout Mamma cow........and some good Hereford Bull should produce a good calf even though it ain't going to be black........

Flying G":dvh7kbz3 said:
Yeah I really don't mind the ear but the charolais bull should clean all that up. These pictures should show the mommas a little more, I don't have a picture of the brangus bull unfortunately but he has was your typical 1600lbs type brangus bull that came out of Georgia.

The charolais bull I bought out of south Texas from a man known for producing hearty type bulls that can perform under harder than normal conditions. I expect him to really grow this spring with good grass to eat, I don't want to ever have to cube him to keep his condition up. The pictures of them eating cubes is a once a week treat they get to keep them cube broke.

396a09f3.jpg

e8c66913.jpg

Are you down by Gonzales? Nice slick cows!

TexasBred":zl0pcguv said:
From what I can see "I like those brangus ladies"....doggone you can find a better bull tho...just my two cents worth.
He sure does have some good grass.......I wonder what those girls would push on a decent Hereford Bull?

Flying G":3iptvj91 said:
I am new to the cattle business and breeding game so I asked as many people as I could about what type of bull to buy and settled on a Char bull that is out of a line known for working and getting on by with little no pampering. He is 22 months old in the picture.

c6d0ea5b.jpg

Calves off of my cows and Brangus bull
72674245.jpg

a96b8386.jpg

That is a 22 month old Charlais Bull? He don't look too big or tall but maybe its the picture. We have a limousine bull that is tall but has taken over 24 months to start filling out. He seems to be doing his job though :) I like your momma cows even if they are black.......:) Thanks for posting.

I like the calves, do not like the bull....Take a good set of black cows and " well it takes generations to get rid of that color problem" . I guess it does not matter if they are terminal... I would of use a Hereford.....

I appreciate the compliments on the cows and comments on the bull. As I have said before I am not an authority on the subject, just learning as I go. The cows were purchased from a friend in east Texas and I keep them in Milam County between Calvert and Cameron. I almost went with am angus bull but decided on the Charolais and I will stick with him and see what kind of calves he produces. The next set of cows I buy I will likely buy a Hereford bull to put with them and see how try turn out. This is a small operation with 14 momma cows and I hope to expand to around 35 mommas this year and to around 45-50 with good rain and grass. My ultimate goal is to gain some lease pasture and have around 100-125 head that look just like these.

Flying G":17211cru said:
Just because my picture is of him the day after I bought him doesn't mean I haven't fed him since. I will take a new picture of him so you can see what a little hay and cubes have done for him. I am not implying I want to keep a thin bull by saying he can get by on little to nothing. I am simpling stating that he is not a 1800lbs fed out bull that I have to keep pouring feed to in order to keep him right. I bought him mid January so I have had him about two months now.

Just out of curiosity, what do you expect a mature charolais bull to weigh in BCS 6?

I think if I had went to Thomas in Raymondville and bought a conditioned 2yo bull he would have weighed around 1800-2000lbs. I didn't want to do that so I bought a 1300lbs bull that when filled out and matured will weigh 1600-1700lbs. Again, I'm no expert and if you try a little will probably get me to say something incorrect :)

what kind of health program do they have those unpamperd cattle on?? to me a unpampersd animal should be able to flourish to some degree, to truly be upamperd material... he looks like he might have failed the criteria

Flying G":3ulkem1g said:
I think if I had went to Thomas in Raymondville and bought a conditioned 2yo bull he would have weighed around 1800-2000lbs. I didn't want to do that so I bought a 1300lbs bull that when filled out and matured will weigh 1600-1700lbs. Again, I'm no expert and if you try a little will probably get me to say something incorrect :)

That's not the intention at all, I just think your expectations are unrealistic or you've been had.

A mature charolais bull in BCS 6 should weigh no less than 2200lbs minimum, otherwise he's simply not worth it. Actually I'd like to see a charolais between 2400 and 2600lbs as an ideal terminal sire.

BTW, 2200+lbs that is what a good moderate well muscled hereford or angus bull should weigh.

KNERSIE":25ichjb6 said:
Flying G":25ichjb6 said:

That's not the intention at all, I just think your expectations are unrealistic or you've been had.

A mature charolais bull in BCS 6 should weigh no less than 2200lbs minimum, otherwise he's simply not worth it. Actually I'd like to see a charolais between 2400 and 2600lbs as an ideal terminal sire.

BTW, 2200+lbs that is what a good moderate well muscled hereford or angus bull should weigh.
I agree 100%. but just so he understands. 22 months is no where near mature. A char bull reaches it's mature weight between 4-5 years of age. The only reason I run Charolais is for terminal purposes. That bull would never make the cut. Just because it is a Charolais don't mean it's good. I've seen em throw the best calves I have ever had. And I've seen others that couldn't compete with Demetrious.

F.G. I think that bull will look a hole lot different in a few weeks , with you taking care of him...and I bet he will be beautiful next year...

I also think you know that, YOUR COWS AND CALVES SPEAK FOR THEMSELF...I never could see how people can judge cattle size or quality from a picture....I have to walk in there among them.

Put him on some good grazing, feed or both if necessary and post another pic in 90-120 days....he should be 300 lbs. heavier. if you haven't already done it give him a hel of agood worming. Maybe he'll look better then but from the pic you posted (and that's all we have to go on) there isn't much there to be proud of... as presented.And there's no excuse for him to be so thin.... Let's blame it on camera angle and poor lighting. Will wait for next pic. I've been wrong many times before.

KNERSIE":rv8swp8i said:
Flying G":rv8swp8i said:

Just out of curiosity, what do you expect a mature charolais bull to weigh in BCS 6?

I had the same question pop into my head. I suspect the bull has popped on some weight in the last two months....or at least I hope so. Mr Flying G, you have some nice brood cows. Please don't short change those mamas (and ultimately yourself) with a cheap bull. Not only is he way too light, but as I envisioned what he might look like after filling out some, I can say I don't think I would personally care for his length, legs, and certainly not his hips. I think a Char bull would be a good choice for a bull, but not really that particular one. the cows and calves look good though. :)

There's one other thing to think about when using a Char bull on Black cows.....Rat tails. At the sale barn here you will get docked for that mouse color and rat tails. I got the T- Shirt for that but not any more.

Flying G":t4esm6my said:
I appreciate the compliments on the cows and comments on the bull. As I have said before I am not an authority on the subject, just learning as I go. The cows were purchased from a friend in east Texas and I keep them in Milam County between Calvert and Cameron. I almost went with am angus bull but decided on the Charolais and I will stick with him and see what kind of calves he produces. The next set of cows I buy I will likely buy a Hereford bull to put with them and see how try turn out. This is a small operation with 14 momma cows and I hope to expand to around 35 mommas this year and to around 45-50 with good rain and grass. My ultimate goal is to gain some lease pasture and have around 100-125 head that look just like these.
I am new to the cattle business and breeding game so I asked as many people as I could about what type of bull to buy and settled on a Char bull that is out of a line known for working and getting on by with little no pampering. He is 22 months old in the picture.

c6d0ea5b.jpg

Calves off of my cows and Brangus bull
72674245.jpg

a96b8386.jpg

Yeah I really don't mind the ear but the charolais bull should clean all that up. These pictures should show the mommas a little more, I don't have a picture of the brangus bull unfortunately but he has was your typical 1600lbs type brangus bull that came out of Georgia.

The charolais bull I bought out of south Texas from a man known for producing hearty type bulls that can perform under harder than normal conditions. I expect him to really grow this spring with good grass to eat, I don't want to ever have to cube him to keep his condition up. The pictures of them eating cubes is a once a week treat they get to keep them cube broke.

396a09f3.jpg

e8c66913.jpg

Flying G...Makes me sick to see a bull like that in with your nice set of cows....Sure he "hasn't been pampered" that is obvious. But I don't see where 500 lbs of fat (pampering) is going to add muscle either. Take time to visit this web page and look at lots 86 -102 http://www.southerncattlecompany.com/cattle-sales.html even better would be to head to Caldwell (36 S. of your neck of the woods) tomorrow and pick up the puniest one there which I think would be better than the one you have now. Yes they have been "pampered" but they also have muscling for that fat to ride on. Course you could call it an experiment to see if your bull has the genetics to produce beefy cattle even when the does not show the potential himself...could be he has no muscle because he couldn't develope any and stay alive too but I wouldn't bet a calf crop on it at $1.48 a lb for 650 lb. calves. :nod: I doubt yours will ever look as good as lot 92 or 99, the two I think are at the bottom of the group.

Really you don't even need to go to Caldwell...Just register as an online bidder. Sale starts at 2PM (more or less :D )

BTW...these are 15 - 19 month old bulls.