What bull to put on Santa Gertrudis x Hereford Cross Cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

Pineywoods230

Reaction score
I am looking at trying a small herd of F1 Santa Gertrudis x Hereford cross cows in East Texas. Curious what bull you would recommend putting on them? I am leaning towards Red Angus but not sure I want that high percentage of Angus in replacements. What would you do?

I am looking at trying a small herd of F1 Santa Gertrudis x Hereford cross cows in East Texas. Curious what bull you would recommend putting on them? I am leaning towards Red Angus but not sure I want that high percentage of Angus in replacements. What would you do?
If your going to retain heifers,personally I'd go back with Hereford..or maybe even a Beefmaster on those..then add a red Angus later..F1 cows are best for raising terminal calves ...you'd be trying to make a 3 way cross into producers..which ain't an ideal start..go In one breeding direction .get some consistency bred in first ..then change gears..

If your going to retain heifers,personally I'd go back with Hereford..or maybe even a Beefmaster on those..then add a red Angus later..F1 cows are best for raising terminal calves ...you'd be trying to make a 3 way cross into producers..which ain't an ideal start..go In one breeding direction .get some consistency bred in first ..then change
If your going to retain heifers,personally I'd go back with Hereford..or maybe even a Beefmaster on those..then add a red Angus later..F1 cows are best for raising terminal calves ...you'd be trying to make a 3 way cross into producers..which ain't an ideal start..go In one breeding direction .get some consistency bred in first ..then change gears..
thanks for answering. I am just playing with a change, wanting something different from my neighbors all having all black cattle. BWF on one side, Sim/Angus on one wide, Brangus on the other. It's very boring.

Gert x Herefords are a pretty good cross. Depending on what your goals are, there are a lot of options that would work. Going back with a good Hereford bull, would be good if you don't mind high percentage Herefords. Another option would be going back with a Gert bull, and getting high percentage Santa Gertrudis, then using a Charolais over them for a terminal cross.

C
Gert x Herefords are a pretty good cross. Depending on what your goals are, there are a lot of options that would work. Going back with a good Hereford bull, would be good if you don't mind high percentage Herefords. Another option would be going back with a Gert bull, and getting high percentage Santa Gertrudis, then using a Charolais over them for a terminal cross.
I am curious why beefmaster? What specifically about them would be benefital to that cross.

Red Brangus or Angus if you want to stay red.

Black Brangus or Angus Plus or Angus if you want black.

Have to decide how much Brahman you want to keep in them.

I would not go back Hereford or Gert because that defeats the purpose of the cross IMO. Might as well just buy straight Herefords or Gerts at that point.

Very varied answers. I'd like to keep Brahman to roughly 1/4th and mostly avoid black. Keep the answers coming and I'll see what the overall consensus ends up being.

Very varied answers. I'd like to keep Brahman to roughly 1/4th and mostly avoid black. Keep the answers coming and I'll see what the overall consensus ends up being.
I'd go with red angus on them, but since it sounds like you want a little more ear then red brangus seems like the way to go.

I'm in Australia and Santa-Hereford cross is quite popular. Normally they go to Black Angus bulls in my area.

The Santa-Hereford to Red Angus sounds good if that's what your market is happy with and works for your area.

If you want to breed replacements I'd put a Beefmaster or Bonsmara over the Santa-Hereford cross. Similar make up for consistency.

Bonsmara is a great breed for a heifer bull also good for heat tolerance without the drawbacks of extra Brahman blood.

If it were me probably do a 3 breed rotation with Santa, Hereford and Bonsmara.

Because Your cattle have all the breeds that are in The Beefmaster..Beefmaster and Angus is a heck of a cross..but you can go in a lot of directions using Beefmasters

Are you producing this Gert X Her from your own Herefords and Santa Gertrudis? Or are you buying these F1's? If buying them, then I agree with @BC .... buy your replacements. These Gert X Her are a good choice for momma cows, and the best bull to use on them would be Brangus or Ultra Black. You'd still have a pasture full of red cows to contrast with the neighbor's cows, but you'd end up with calves that would be worth some $$$$$. IF you are dead-set on raising a 3-way cross for some replacement heifers, and did not want any to be black, then look at using a Braford or Beefmaster bull.

Others are pointing to this and I would have to agree. That cross is designed to go with a terminal bull... BA Char etc... and on to the packer.

If you like making your own replacements you might consider buying beefmaster cows/ heifers and putting a Hereford bull on them to make replacements. They will produce a good heifer, basically what you are buying now, and the steers will probably sell good also.

After that you could decide if you need a terminal bull at some point or not.

I'm not a fan of bringing Beefmasters back in over the Gert x Herf. Your basically just re-arranging the chips and more likely to bring some thing bad out of the genetic wood pile than good... in my experience... especially with Gert and BM.

The point of out crossing is to bring some thing new to the table to better the animal. I think you will have to go to Angus, Char, etc or their composites to get that.

Look at what one of the largest Gert breeders is doing... they are breeding out to Red Angus and Gelbvieh. There is a reason for that.

Akaushi bull and sale all calves to Heartbrand beef.

M
I am looking at trying a small herd of F1 Santa Gertrudis x Hereford cross cows in East Texas. Curious what bull you would recommend putting on them? I am leaning towards Red Angus but not sure I want that high percentage of Angus in replacements. What would you do? Murray Grey bulls

Others are pointing to this and I would have to agree. That cross is designed to go with a terminal bull... BA Char etc... and on to the packer.

If you like making your own replacements you might consider buying beefmaster cows/ heifers and putting a Hereford bull on them to make replacements. They will produce a good heifer, basically what you are buying now, and the steers will probably sell good also.

After that you could decide if you need a terminal bull at some point or not.

I'm not a fan of bringing Beefmasters back in over the Gert x Herf. Your basically just re-arranging the chips and more likely to bring some thing bad out of the genetic wood pile than good... in my experience... especially with Gert and BM.

The point of out crossing is to bring some thing new to the table to better the animal. I think you will have to go to Angus, Char, etc or their composites to get that.

Look at what one of the largest Gert breeders is doing... they are breeding out to Red Angus and Gelbvieh. There is a reason for that.
Good advice. Another alternative would be to buy the best non-black momma cows there is, f1 Br x Her., and use the Gert bulls on them. This should produce calves with plenty of high bread vinegar that the steers would sell well even with the dock for red. Plus, if he did decide to retain some heifers, those Gert x Braford would make a pretty good cows for what he wants to do. After that, though, he needs to look at terminal crosses. Best to use would be Angus, Brangus, Ultrablack. If he just doesn't care about the sale prices, and is just adamant about not wanting to see a black calf in his pasture then I'd use Char, Simm, or Red Angus.

suggest going with red angus

Good advice. Another alternative would be to buy the best non-black momma cows there is, f1 Br x Her., and use the Gert bulls on them. This should produce calves with plenty of high bread vinegar that the steers would sell well even with the dock for red. Plus, if he did decide to retain some heifers, those Gert x Braford would make a pretty good cows for what he wants to do. After that, though, he needs to look at terminal crosses. Best to use would be Angus, Brangus, Ultrablack. If he just doesn't care about the sale prices, and is just adamant about not wanting to see a black calf in his pasture then I'd use Char, Simm, or Red Angus.
I'm not a Gert fan at all. Its really hard to find quality Gerts who have adapted with the times and if you do you are going to pay a price that does not justify itself, IMO. You have to just want them to want them. Ive watched Gerts across the fence all my life and they aren't doing any thing any other breed isn't. In fact it could be debated that they are behind for the times.

Hello.
First, remember that for the most part black AND Angus sell the best by far. Especially in the midwest. Kroger will contract with you if you have enough calves. I would stick with black Angus: you will have tighter lines and less leather. Also, calving ease and probably higher probability of energetic and thriving offspring. Many ppl are attracted to white faced babies.
Remember as well that you cannot eat leather so breed for less extra skin.
Happy breeding!
Vanessa

I'm not a Gert fan at all. Its really hard to find quality Gerts who have adapted with the times and if you do you are going to pay a price that does not justify itself, IMO. You have to just want them to want them. Ive watched Gerts across the fence all my life and they aren't doing any thing any other breed isn't. In fact it could be debated that they are behind for the times.
You are right, it seems like it is hard to find good Gerts. They have been the most numerous ear cattle around here, there are getting to be a few more Beefmaster herds nowadays. I've always like what a little Brahman influence can bring to the table, and had a few Gert cows over the years. Most were culled pretty quick. I think a lot of them around here are bred for the show ring more so than the pasture. The Hereford Gert crosses I've had have been pretty good. My first introduction to Santa Gertrudis was with a baby calf that I bought to go on a Charolais cow that had lost a calf. That Gert steer calf grew like a weed rivaling the growth of some of my Chars. That got my interest started in them and other Brahman crosses.

Latest posts