What bull should I use on my heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

shortybreeder

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post so it might take me a little while to get used to how all this works... Here's the situation: I have 2 registered shorthorn cows that both gave me BEAUTIFUL Creole 135 calves this spring/summer, one bull calf and one heifer calf, and I am trying to find a good calving ease bull for my heifer that I will definitely be keeping as a replacement. I would like it to be a registered shorthorn bull so that I can register the calf, but I would also consider a black bull that will give me a calf that can be registered as a ShorthornPlus, however if I go that route the bull would need to be one that throws good show calves so that I can sell the resulting calf as a show steer or as a show heifer at the State Sale. One of the most important traits for me is good feet/legs. JSF Capiche is a calving ease bull available through Genex, but I haven't heard the greatest things about the JSF feet/legs. We are strictly A.I., haven't had a bull on the farm since the 70's. Any suggestions of bulls to look at would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Here is the heifer's pedigree:
Sire: Homedale Creole 135
Dam: RF Dazzy
MGS: Homedale Blizzard 820

Welcome to the board.
I think I would lean heavily towards the black bull for her first calf and then go back shorthorn in future breedings.
If you do decide that you want her bred shorthorn cattle visions has the best selection of calving ease shorthorns that I know of.

What are your thoughts on Hot Commodity, Jake's Proud Jazz, and Sull Payday 1507 ET?
Any suggestions on a good black bull?

Thanks!

Jakes proud jazz might work on CE. Payday is the bull I would use if I were going to use one of those three and I'd still probably use him on cows.
Shorthorns will average a little over five pounds bigger than an angus calf so that -2.whatever jakes proud jazz is is actually not that calving ease when you compare it to an angus.
I'm not at all into show cattle so I won't try to give you a recommendation on a black bull but I know you stand a better chance of getting a live calf on the ground without tearing up your heifer that way. I also know you can do it without giving up much other stuff for the calving ease. Then your heifer is all geared up and ready for round two and you can breed her to whatever you want and she'll be ready to do it for you.

I really like the Payday bull, and I've heard good things about his sire, KL Prime Time Paymaster. I am thinking about going angus with her to make a calf for finishing out and direct-marketing. Any thoughts on a good CE angus bull that will also make a nice carcass animal? My heifer's sire, Creole 135, measured a 13.5 sq in. ribeye at 8 months of age if that helps. We typically use Genex for our breeding, so a bull out of that catalog genex.crinet.com would be best. I'm relatively very new to the breeding side of things, but I still find the sire selection process to be quite fascinating, and I get excited about every calf that is due.
Thanks!

Genex carries a good calving ease red simmental bull, Amigo (if you want to keep the calf red). One of the gals that works there (in Strafford, MO) raises shorty and she puts Amigo or JPJ on all of her heifers. We have used Amigo on our heifers and had no problems with CE on him. Amigo will add rib shape, might not add a ton of muscle. We raised and sold a really nice red bull calf sired by him.

JSF Caphice is at Select Sires, I like calving ease and looks of JSF Gauge a little better he is also at Select. If you could find Jake's Proud Jazz semen tho that would be a safe bet.

We've been using Shorthorn sires for several years over AngusXSimAngus cows. Strictly commercial, and breeding with the resulting heifer/cow as the prime goal, but wanting their steer counterparts to be as good or better than Angus or Simmental-sired calves in the herd. NOT into the show deal, so what I'm using may not work in that world.

Waukaru Gold Mine 2109 and Waukaru Gold Card 5042 - both available from Origen/ABS. Gold Mine has one of the highest CED epds in the breed; we've used him on 2-yr olds for several years, and feel comfortable enough with him that I'm using him on all but the smallest virgin Angus heifers here. First Gold Card calves here this fall were out of 3-yr olds, but they're slender and easy-born - but are growing off well. Don't have any doubt that he'd be safe on a well-grown heifer. Gold Mine is a sure bet for a live calf.

Cattle Visions has several good calving ease SH bulls - we have used A&T Captain Obvious and the Rob Sneed 034 bull; Will be using DRC 101VM(Dover) next year, and probably Coalpit Creek Leader 6th, as well. There are several other solid red SH bulls at CV with decent CE/BW data that are in the running for use on heifers and 3-yr olds.
JSF Guage - his MCE is so far below breed average that I'd never consider using him with any intention of keeping daughters as replacements.

Latest posts