What breeds do you cross?

Help Support CattleToday:

Uncle Dude

Reaction score
I was just interested in what breeds people crossed and the reason behind it. Some use breeds for growth, some for the climate, weaning weights, low birth weights and I can appreciate all the various reasons.

We are registered Red Angus breeders so we don't, and most of our customers don't either. They breed Red Angus to Red Angus and sell straight Red Angus calves. Most do it for convenience and for the marketability of the heifers. Most of them sell their heifers for replacement and they get steer price or better. The ones that do crossbreed will use either Charlais or Simmental. The ones that use Simmental will ussually use a half blood or 1/4 Simmi bulls so they can sell either 1/2 or 1/4 blood calves. It seems like when the calves go through the ring up here whether they are steers or heifers, the ones that have a continental look to them except for Char, get discounted. I am sure it is made up with the little bit of increased weaning weights they get from cross breeding but their they are ussually discounted a couple buck/cwt.

Currently, I have a mixed herd, and I cross them with a black angus bull. I sell straight to the barn and here, angus crossed bring a premium. Not to mention the fact that the buyers know what most angus crosses look like whether it's a black baldy, angusxCharolais, or others. Eventually, I want to direct market meat, so I am going to be using Limousins crossed with Red Polls.

brandonm_13":2yveyt4k said:
Currently, I have a mixed herd, and I cross them with a black angus bull. I sell straight to the barn and here, angus crossed bring a premium. Not to mention the fact that the buyers know what most angus crosses look like whether it's a black baldy, angusxCharolais, or others. Eventually, I want to direct market meat, so I am going to be using Limousins crossed with Red Polls.

Limi / Red Poll should make a great cross. :D

I would love to do some cross breeding myself but with the high demand for our Red Polls I will continue to raise registered seed stock for now.

BrangusXAngus
AngusXBrangus
BrangusXHereford
HerefordXBrangus
HerefordXAngus
AngusXHereford
CrossbredXAngus
And when a neighbors bull jumped the fence BrangusXCharolais
:roll: And when my bull got over to a neighbors, HolestienXHereford :oops:

1982vett":909bqp0q said:
BrangusXAngus
AngusXBrangus
BrangusXHereford
HerefordXBrangus
HerefordXAngus
AngusXHereford
CrossbredXAngus
pretty much sumed mine up

Jovid":1el7hr6u said:
brandonm_13":1el7hr6u said:

I would love to do some cross breeding myself but with the high demand for our Red Polls I will continue to raise registered seed stock for now.

Yeah, originally I had planned on using a Limousin bull on Red poll cows, but with the shortage of good red poll cows out my way, I may get a good Red Poll bull from out your way one of these days and use on a Limousin. Of course, I may just run a herd of each and cross the offspring to create my terminal product.

1982vett":3popae42 said:
BrangusXAngus
AngusXBrangus
BrangusXHereford
HerefordXBrangus
HerefordXAngus
AngusXHereford
CrossbredXAngus
:roll: And when my bull got over to a neighbors, HolestienXHereford :oops:
Forgot the reason why, because it works here and they sell good.

Wouldn't mind doing the HerefordXBrhama to an Angus, but I'm just not as young as I once was.

brandonm_13":1v7nn9tw said:
Jovid":1v7nn9tw said:
brandonm_13":1v7nn9tw said:

Yeah, originally I had planned on using a Limousin bull on Red poll cows, but with the shortage of good red poll cows out my way, I may get a good Red Poll bull from out your way one of these days and use on a Limousin. Of course, I may just run a herd of each and cross the offspring to create my terminal product.

You need to come to our National Sale in Sedalia MO on October 25th and buy my bull along with some good females. :)

Many a cross out there that work for various reasons. Right now, the Limousin on Angus is injecting growth, style, and MUSCLE. It could also help me with marketing my calves. However, Hereford on Angus are still, in my mind, the very best maternal cross out there.

Angus x Hereford from full blood Black angus down to 3/8 angus x5/8 hereford and everything in between... I love the true F-1 white faces..... crossed with a good Black bull (angus) nices calves, tame , and what the salebarn likes...

santa-gertrudis crossed with red angus. makes a good growthy calf that stands the heat & insects & doesn't get sick much. also sell good with the red angus crossed in.

I have a registered Brahman herd and cross them with: South Devon,Hereford,Black Baldy, SD Hereford cross, Charolais,Gelbvieh.
I have a registered South Devon herd and cross them with the same cows as above. This British breed compliments the tropical very well,adds softness and fleshing.
Also use an Angus every now and then to produce black baldies. Also use them over some heifers and sometimes in the South Devon herd.

Piedmontese on swedish reds
piedmontese on heintz57
blonde daquitaine on swedish red
limousin on swedish red
piedmontese on sr x bld
pied on lim x sr

jerry27150":3d5ial5v said:
santa-gertrudis crossed with red angus. makes a good growthy calf that stands the heat & insects & doesn't get sick much. also sell good with the red angus crossed in.

I am not using this in my breeding program, but have bought some that had been bred up from 1/2 Gert 1/2 RA. Wonderful females.

Latest posts