What Breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

ERIK

Reaction score
I own dairy cattle and i would like to get 6 or 7 beef cattle i was wonderingwhat breed or breeds you would suggest buying.

There are several things to consider when determining what breed to chose.

First of all, where do you live. If you live in the deep south you will likely want a breed that has some Brahma influence (i.e. Beefmaster, Santa Gertrudis, Simbrah, Brangus, etc.). If you live in the north, you will want to avoid these breeds.

Second of all if you are just wanting to raise a few cattle for freezer beef, I would go with good crossbred cows, and would want the cows to be half Angus (Red or black Angus) and the balance being Hereford, Gelbvieh, Simmental, or Braunvieh.

If you are wanting to breed club calves that are competive in the shows, you likely want cows with some Chi and/or Maine in them, and the balance being Angus.

There are other things to consider but these are a few quick thoughts.

Good luck and enjoy your beef cows. It is a wonderful sideline business.

If you are wanting a breed that is extremely easy to handle, has high weight gains from birth to finish just on pasture without any expensive creep feeding then I would suggest American British White Park. This breed is very versatile and can create the characteristics desireable to you thru cross breeding. They are very gentle and maternal. Calving problems and respiratory problems are practically unheard of in this breed. Very good carcass results which can be obtained at the http://www.whitecattle.org website. We have been very happy with ours. There is some confusion about this breed as there are 2 associations because of a split many years ago. The American British White Park and the British White are really the same and many are from the same lines. The cattle from both of these associations are not to be confused with the Ancient Horned White Parks. There are very few of those here in America. We went with the ABWP breeders for our cattle as the costs to get started were much lower and the breeders treated us well. All in all, a very cost effective, well dispositioned all around breed. Hope this helps. Thanks, Sylvanglades Farm

ERIK":1qdzz4jo said:
I own dairy cattle and i would like to get 6 or 7 beef cattle i was wonderingwhat breed or breeds you would suggest buying.

I would go with a breed readily available in your area. So you don,t have to drive all over to find good stock.

This is pretty sound advice. Remember, we (purebred breeders) all have an agenda. Promote our own breed. If we didn't think they were the best, we wouldn't be breeding them (at least, I hope not!). You have to buy a breed that you enjoy looking at, has the temperament for your operation, and will produce a final product that you want.
Of course, I think SIMMENTAL is the breed to choose, but let me tell you, I AM VERY PREDUDICE!!! Next would be Simmental cross with Angus. Absolutely the best cross, and it is extremely a very popular cross - high dollar - right now.

UG":1zaao4ag said:
There are several things to consider when determining what breed to chose.

First of all, where do you live. If you live in the deep south you will likely want a breed that has some Brahma influence (i.e. Beefmaster, Santa Gertrudis, Simbrah, Brangus, etc.). If you live in the north, you will want to avoid these breeds.

Second of all if you are just wanting to raise a few cattle for freezer beef, I would go with good crossbred cows, and would want the cows to be half Angus (Red or black Angus) and the balance being Hereford, Gelbvieh, Simmental, or Braunvieh.

If you are wanting to breed club calves that are competive in the shows, you likely want cows with some Chi and/or Maine in them, and the balance being Angus.

There are other things to consider but these are a few quick thoughts.

Good luck and enjoy your beef cows. It is a wonderful sideline business.

I would recommend a Romagnola bull with just about any breed of beef cows. The Romagnola breed has been tested for the Tenderness Gene and has tested highest of all the Continental Breeds in the United States, even higher than Black Angus. The Romagnola has black skin, but white hair. They are smallish at birth, but grow VERY FAST! They seem to do especially well with an Angus and 99.9% of the time the calves will turn out black, but with more muscle and tender meat. You can look at our website to see what the Romagnola breed looks like--- http://www.duckriverromagnola.com or go to the American Romagnola Association website at http://www.americanromagnola.com and look at some of the pictures in the photo gallery where there are some Romagnola cross calves. These cattle do extremely well in extreme heat/cold conditions. If you want any more info just contact us on the e-mail link from our website!

Oh I have been on Jury duty and have missed all the good conversations. I hope you guys have a good holiday weekend and new years. (Yeah I have Jury Duty through the first two weeks of January too! Oh how lucky I am! Jury Duty every day except Sunday, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day! Yahoo! ) I have done my good deed as a citizen once more and am glad it is nearly over! Have a good one, and keep the cattle warm and well fed!

Here we go again at the used car salesmen convention, son find a reputable breeder in your area resonably priced. Go to the sale barn look for gray haired old men in bib overalls and see what they are selling, these guys will look dead broke. Each one is carrying enough money in his pocket to burn a wet mule. These are the Cattlemen you want to be aqainted with.

Caustic Burno":3d1zoh6p said:
Here we go again at the used car salesmen convention, son find a reputable breeder in your area resonably priced. Go to the sale barn look for gray haired old men in bib overalls and see what they are selling, these guys will look dead broke. Each one is carrying enough money in his pocket to burn a wet mule. These are the Cattlemen you want to be aqainted with.
He's right about the old men in overalls and their money. Several years back one such individual that I knew carried a great big walking stick. His stick got away from him at the auction barn one day and he became exceedingly upset. No one could understand why he was so upset over a walking stick. He finally recovered his stick, and come to find out, it was hollow. He had $50 grand stuffed in that stick. I guess that was his 'walking around money'.

Then there was another man that went to buy a bulldozer. But that's another story....

Latest posts