What Breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

sewall

Reaction score
Just wondering what kind of bull to use on a herd of 9 heinz 57 cows on 50 acres? Their is 6 angus influenced cows and 3 hereford influenced. We currently have a chiangus bull that is getting pretty old and I just don't think he is the right fit. Current weaning weights range from 450-500 lbs and all they get is grass and protien tubs. Would like to have something that wouldn't take a hit at the salebarn. Located in central texas. Don't plan on spending a sh*t ton of money since there is only 9 cows but just wondering what you guys would recommend.

IF you are not keeping heifers, go with a big, thick, beefy as all get out Charolais. IF you think that these 9 cows are the nucleus of a herd you will be building for the rest of your life.......visualize the kind of cows you really want to have and then buy the bull that does the most to get you there. I would probably go with a Herf.

Gelbvieh, good disposition and will put some meat on those calves. Plus you will have some good replacement heifers.

I'd want to get some brahma influence in Central Texas. I use a beefmaster bull and I'm very happy with the results.

id go with the beefmaster on those cows.youll add growth an pounds to your calves at weaning time.an will have some heifers to keep if you want.

Seeing you're in Texas I'll agree with BigBull and Skyline...anything that will put a little "ear" on them and increase heat tolerance and feed efficieny. Beefmaster, Brangus, Braford...all will work well for you down here.

gelbvieh or limo noting as in upper post gelbvieh have good dispositions and boy how they grow. if you had a mixer of simmental i might say a limo bull would make a nice fit.

Latest posts