what breed

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was formerly a dairy farmer in Wisconsin and have moved to Missouri. Think I want to get some Beef cows. Where should I start (bred older cows or calves or bottle calves)registered? What breed ?

[email protected]

How much time to you have to spend with your cow herd? We raise registered Angus. We're tied pretty close to home during breeding season because we AI everything. And at calving time we need to weigh everything within 24 hours. (So much for "retirement.") And bottle calves are really demanding of your time. If you choose the commercial route, I'd look at some heavy bred older cows so you could have a payday this year. As for which breed, consider how you plan to sell your calves. If you'll sell them at the local sale barn, visit and see what seems to sell best there. If you're planning to feed them out yourself, consider using a performance tested bull with a high average daily gain. See if there's a marketing program or alliance in your area that requires certain genetics. However you plan to market, there are good Angus cattle that will work for you. Good luck...

> I was formerly a dairy farmer in
> Wisconsin and have moved to
> Missouri. Think I want to get some
> Beef cows. Where should I start
> (bred older cows or calves or
> bottle calves)registered? What
> breed ?

[email protected]

What area of MO are you located in, that's just a nosey question. Frankie provides some solid advice, but I would look at as many different breeds as possible and determine if there is one breed that really floats your boat. If you don't want to stay invloved nearly year round, stockers or feeders may be a viable alternative.

dunmovin farms

> breed ?

Hello Bill, My name is David Maguet, Rendezvous Farms from Ste Rose du Lac, MB, Canada.

We have a nice selection of open Simmental, Fleckvieh influenced heifer calves. They are really looking good! We're from Canada & so your American dollar is worth a lot in Canada. These heifers are very feminine, thick butted & long. Check out our website for more details about Sires & Females. We also have a good selection of bulls for sale also. Simmentals always bring a premium, we sold about 15 steers 2 days after 9/11 & we got a $1.5050 & they were weighing about 720-750 lbs. Just an example of what Simmental Genetics can do for you.

Good Luck &, hope to hear from you & I hope you choose Simmental cattle from Rendezvous!

Sincerely,

David B. Maguet

<A HREF="http://www.rendezvousfarms.com">http://www.rendezvousfarms.com</A>

I was formerly a dairy farmer in
> breed ?

Rendezvous Simmental Farms
[email protected]

Real Mature, Jack Ass! I see that you're too scared to post any imformation. Easy to see that you are very incompetent when it comes to cattle! Simmentals may have had a bad name because of their height in the US. But we've bred them low set, moderate frame and very fleshy. Remember, animals sell by the pound!

Congratulations for showing your ignorance! Oh yes, do you have something against French speaking people?

What do you breed, Buffalos?!!

Hey Frenchie, nobody down here wants your giant SLIM N' TALLs

[email protected]

>If you want my advice as a rookie to the cattle business, listen to dunmovin. He has answered some of my questions and has always been right on with his answers. He takes this very serious in my opinion and is very knowledgable. Good luck to you and all you do.

Jay B Biggs

What area of MO are you located
> in, that's just a nosey question.
> Frankie provides some solid
> advice, but I would look at as
> many different breeds as possible
> and determine if there is one
> breed that really floats your
> boat. If you don't want to stay
> invloved nearly year round,
> stockers or feeders may be a
> viable alternative.

> dunmovin farms

[email protected]

We do not need people like you on this board. Please go elsewhere. I also, breed Simmental, and you are really in the dark ages. Open your eyes. Jeanne
> Hey Frenchie, nobody down here
> wants your giant SLIM N' TALLs

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

>As far as COWS go, I like to stick with an English base, like angus (red or black) or herefor. If you want to add some growth, you could breed them to the exotics like simmentals, limosines, gelbviehs, or etc. I would reccomend staying away from rhones, though What area of MO are you located
> in, that's just a nosey question.
> Frankie provides some solid
> advice, but I would look at as
> many different breeds as possible
> and determine if there is one
> breed that really floats your
> boat. If you don't want to stay
> invloved nearly year round,
> stockers or feeders may be a
> viable alternative.

> dunmovin farms

David,

The response from "P" was pretty unprofessional I agree but unfortunately you decided to stoop to his/her level in your response so you can not say too much. Something to keep in mind is that this bulletin board is for the exchange of ideas and information, not for advertisements. I am sure that you have great cattle and Bill may very well be interested in them but it probably would have been better to contact him directly by e-mail. If you want to promote your stock, take out a classified ad with the webmaster. I do not know if they charge for this, but if they do, it is a small price to pay for getting your message out. Think of it this way ... if every farm that visits this site were to start advertising like you did, can you imagine how crowded it would get. If you want to promote your breed and your animals, offer good advice to questions that are posted and prove to everyone that you know the cattle business and what it takes to succeed. When people get to know your name they can feel comfortable contacting you about your cattle. I am surprised that the Webmaster has not already contacted you about this as most sites do not allow any obvious advertising and delete all messages that include it.

[email protected]

Well, if you used to dairy you understand the hard work involved with cattle... Beef cattle should be much easier! Missouri has some of the top registered Hereford and Angus farms in the country. Can't speak to the Simmentals, though I know there's quite a few of them in our area too. (We're on the east-central side of the state.) Frankie's suggestion about visiting your local sale barn is a good one. (Consider visiting the county fairs in the summer too if you're looking for registered cattle.) Up until recently the black-hided cattle had been selling better at the sale barns, but we're seeing a comeback by the Hereford folks as they have set up special feeder calf programs and sales to help gather potloads and increase payback. If you don't want to run registered animals, or maybe just want to dabble in the registered stock, Missouri's number one combination is the Hereford-Angus cross (black baldy). You'll find good sources for both breeds throughout the state to lend you a hand with that. (Do an internet search on Missouri Hereford Angus- you'll get a good sized list!) Their progeny do well at the sale barn and you could AI for registered calves and then use a different bull for your cross cattle. Best of luck to you- Missouri is a great beef state with good folks in it- glad to have you here with us!

> breed ?

[email protected]

VERY good advice........can't say about your state but in FL Black Baldies are WAY up in price.......people LOVE them.

> Well, if you used to dairy you
> understand the hard work involved
> with cattle... Beef cattle should
> be much easier! Missouri has some
> of the top registered Hereford and
> Angus farms in the country. Can't
> speak to the Simmentals, though I
> know there's quite a few of them
> in our area too. (We're on the
> east-central side of the state.)
> Frankie's suggestion about
> visiting your local sale barn is a
> good one. (Consider visiting the
> county fairs in the summer too if
> you're looking for registered
> cattle.) Up until recently the
> black-hided cattle had been
> selling better at the sale barns,
> but we're seeing a comeback by the
> Hereford folks as they have set up
> special feeder calf programs and
> sales to help gather potloads and
> increase payback. If you don't
> want to run registered animals, or
> maybe just want to dabble in the
> registered stock, Missouri's
> number one combination is the
> Hereford-Angus cross (black
> baldy). You'll find good sources
> for both breeds throughout the
> state to lend you a hand with
> that. (Do an internet search on
> Missouri Hereford Angus- you'll
> get a good sized list!) Their
> progeny do well at the sale barn
> and you could AI for registered
> calves and then use a different
> bull for your cross cattle. Best
> of luck to you- Missouri is a
> great beef state with good folks
> in it- glad to have you here with
> us!

[email protected]

Wow...........I am in FL......about as far from Canada as you can get and that is ROUGH talk folks.......

> Hey Frenchie, nobody down here
> wants your giant SLIM N' TALLs

[email protected]

Latest posts