What Breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

What breed of cattle would you raise in South Central Texas?

• 1. Hereford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Charolais

• 3. Angus

• 4. Limousin

• 5. Simmental

• 6. Other

• Total voters
Caustic Burno":79gomavp said:
1848":79gomavp said:
I would think the Brahman crooses to be your best bet. Specifically the F1 Hereford x Brahman (tiger stripe), but as some have already indicated, they are not for the faint heart or beginner!

Good advice them Brindles pretty ruff for a green starter outfit.
If you do decide to go to the Tigers might think about selling tickets for the first couple times you pen. :idea:

What makes a Tiger Stripe Braford different from a white face Braford?

SF --- in my area we commonly refer to a 50/50 Hereford/Brahman crossbred as a "tigerstripe". But they don't all "stripe up", and sometimes that 50/50 animal is also referred to as a "chocolate brown". A true Braford is supposed to be 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Hereford.

Arnold Ziffle":1tbsup9y said:
SF --- in my area we commonly refer to a 50/50 Hereford/Brahman crossbred as a "tigerstripe". But they don't all "stripe up", and sometimes that 50/50 animal is also referred to as a "chocolate brown". A true Braford is supposed to be 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Hereford.

Learned something new today. Thanks AZ

I would go with Simbrah. They represent the two most populous breeds in the world. Simmental & Brahman. they must be doing something right. Whatever you pick, I think you should keep some Brahman blood in them, but check with locals to see whats working & making money. Good luck.

la4angus":1wdkh377 said:
Angus Plus and / or Super Baldies would in my opinion be the ideal cattle to raise in your area of the great state of Texas.

Super baldies are darn fine critters. I use Braford cows and put angus bulls on them to that end result. The braford cows are not wild, but can definitely show their brahman influence from time to time. I might just run baldy cows with baldy bulls one of these days to ease away from the eared cattle. Brahmans can sure get your blood to boil. Just too smart (or dumb) most of the time.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":24trr9a1 said:
the two most populous breeds in the world. Simmental & Brahman

can you tell me where you got those numbers? can you also maybe give us the most populous breeds in the United States?

Arnold Ziffle":1bwafwrt said:
icandoit --- great looking avatar! Reminds me of one of the bad guys that Wyatt Earp (Kurt Russell) was chasing after towards the end of the movie Tombstone.

I think he got it off a album cover , Pure prairie leage , or maybe Marshall tucker band?

The sale starts at around 11:00 or 11:30 in Flatonia, I like to go and watch , you don't have to buy .

I can't add to any thing on what kind of cattle to buy , I thinl all of the other replies have been very good.

Latest posts