What breed to Use, Angus, Beefmaster or Braunvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

DORIAN

Reaction score
I have not posted anything in a long time but I need the help of the forum. I am planning on moving to Mexico with my dad and help him out with the family ranch. We started raising cattle about 5 years ago and started with commercial cattle. We have been increasing our herd slowly thru the years and we are up to 70 cows. We made the mistake to use Charolais bulls and keeping some of the heifers for replacements. Since then I have added an Angus bull with the plan to better my herds maternal ability. The conditions in our ranch are dry most of the year with limited feed. We have green pasture 3.5 months out of the year with the rest being dry pasture. I am debating with adding more Angus, Beefmaster or Braunvieh to my herd. I want my end result to be a good maternal herd and then I am able to use whatever terminal sire that I wish.
The climate is between 35 degrees to 90 tops. We have a big problem with blood sucking ticks and parasites.
Thanks for any advice.

I think I would narrow my breed selection considerably. You are selecting between one English Breed, one "American" Bos Indicus derived breed, and one Continental Exotic. Very different types of cattle. I would rather select the type cattle I want first and then narrow it down too breeds within that major type of cattle. Charolias and Braunviehs are both Continental breeds like Limousins, Gelbviehs, Simmentals. The Char X females did not work out so well for you so I think that indicates that another Continental breed like the Braunvieh may not be the best option. That leaves an English breed (Angus, Hereford, Shorthorn, etc) or a Brahman derived breed (Beefmaster, Brangus, Braford, Simbrah, etc) . Since you are in Mexico, you have a problem with ticks and insects, and your focus is maternal rather than carcass, of your three favorite breeds I think I would try breeding a half Beefmaster herd.

This is really none of my business, BUT you and your dad DO have some other income and won't both be relying on 70 Mexican cows for your livelihood, right?

You are correct; I do have other income besides the cattle. My plan would be to bring them up to 140 cows and that is the reason I know I need to change my strategy. I need efficient cows that can wean a calf with little supplement. The reason Charolais cows are not working out is because in Mexico they are focusing too much on full French and they don't provide the calves enough milk. I like angus but maybe the Beef master would be the best choice for my area. I do have some Brangus from the northern part of Mexico and they have had some problems becoming acclimated. I am trying to make my herd medium size frame and more parasites resistant.
Thanks for the input

DORIAN":3oqapmla said:
I have not posted anything in a long time but I need the help of the forum. I am planning on moving to Mexico with my dad and help him out with the family ranch. We started raising cattle about 5 years ago and started with commercial cattle. We have been increasing our herd slowly thru the years and we are up to 70 cows. We made the mistake to use Charolais bulls and keeping some of the heifers for replacements. Since then I have added an Angus bull with the plan to better my herds maternal ability. The conditions in our ranch are dry most of the year with limited feed. We have green pasture 3.5 months out of the year with the rest being dry pasture. I am debating with adding more Angus, Beefmaster or Braunvieh to my herd. I want my end result to be a good maternal herd and then I am able to use whatever terminal sire that I wish.
The climate is between 35 degrees to 90 tops. We have a big problem with blood sucking ticks and parasites.
Thanks for any advice.
Get you some GOOD longhorn cows and breed to your Charolais Bulls !! :nod: :nod:

talldog":37vwz8gi said:
DORIAN":37vwz8gi said:
Thanks for any advice.
Get you some GOOD longhorn cows and breed to your Charolais Bulls !! :nod: :nod:
..then jump on your stick horse, wave your hat in the air as you ride off into the sunset
:lol:

Of the options you gave and the information you provided, I'd recommend Beefmasters.

I understand that you're wanting to buy cattle that are already in the area. There are good Beefmaster cattle to be found in southern Texas and Mexico. However, I don't believe anyone does is better that the foundation herd.

http://www.lasaterranch.com

Their sale is coming up 9/15/09 - 9/16/09. Buyers from South Texas and Mexico are there every year, and they keep coming back (evidenced by the back of the sale catalog). The herd started in south Texas and moved to Colorado. They'll have no problem working in 35 or 90 degree temperatures. They do it up there with little feed...I don't think they'll have a problem in your country with your conditions.

Good luck to you.

EC

how does the angus bull stand the heat & bugs. i would also think beefmaster, braford or santa-gertrudis would be a better choice. but if it doesn't bother the bull maybe angus would be ok. but brangus should have taken the heat & bugs better than the angus

Thanks for all the input from everyone. I do agree the best cattle would come from the ranch that started the breed; to bad I am not able to import cattle at a profitable price. I will be on the lookout for a Beefmaster Bull and for now my Angus Bull is doing a good job sired by SAV 8180 TRAVELER 004.

Thanks to all the good input.

Red Brangus,F-1 tigerstripes, gerts, I would want a herd of at least 3/8 brahma as my herd base... and i would stay to the Red side , unless you just have to have black....F-1 tiger crossed with a Black or red Brangus might do well...just my thought....

DORIAN":2cdtyrp3 said:
Thanks for any advice.

1. Santa Cruz = good mamma cows / moderate milkers, insect and disease and heat tolerant, 1/2 gert/ 1/4 RA, 1/4 Gelb
2. Beefmaster = good mamma cows / too much milk (for your environment) / insect and disease and heat tolerant.
3. Simbrah = good mammas / moderate milk / insect and disease and heat tolerant some can get a little framey.

My choice would be Santa Cruz........................................ (which is a 4 way cross) and you can breed them to the english breed or continental breed of your choice as long as it isnt a Fleck Simm or a Charolais.

i would go with beefmasters.an your right theres some good beefmaster herds in mexico.they will fitt your needs.id buy a reg bull or 2 an 4 or 5 reg cows to start building your herd.

Have you ever thought of using Red Angus and or Red Brangus. The Red hide will give you a little more relief than the black hide from the heat. I know alot of breeders in the South that would be glad fill your needs.

edrsimms":3esiwugs said:
DORIAN":3esiwugs said:
Thanks for any advice.

1. Santa Cruz = good mamma cows / moderate milkers, insect and disease and heat tolerant, 1/2 gert/ 1/4 RA, 1/4 Gelb
2. Beefmaster = good mamma cows / too much milk (for your environment) / insect and disease and heat tolerant.
3. Simbrah = good mammas / moderate milk / insect and disease and heat tolerant some can get a little framey.

My choice would be Santa Cruz........................................ (which is a 4 way cross) and you can breed them to the english breed or continental breed of your choice as long as it isnt a Fleck Simm or a Charolais.

Simbrah with moderate milk?

Latest posts