What breed should I use?

Help Support CattleToday:

Guardian

Reaction score
I recently purchased an abandoned 1200 acre ranch in Eastern Wa. I would like to eventually work my way into a full blown cattle heard. However I'm not real sure as to which breed would be best. Our temperatures here can get as cold as 30 below zero in the winter, or above a 109 in the hottest part of the summer. This area is basically prairie ground (dryland).

Thanks for your help in this matter.

I agree with the last option. Particualrly Red Angus X Polled Hereford. But that's because I happen to like that combination and it works so well for us.

dun

Beefy":37elxug9 said:
angus (black or red) or hereford or herefordXangus.

What do you guys think about adding some Tarentaise blood to the Angus x Hereford for that high desert scenario Guardian described?

dun":q30m9l1p said:
I agree with the last option. Particualrly Red Angus X Polled Hereford. But that's because I happen to like that combination and it works so well for us.

dun

Beefy":q30m9l1p said:

No thoughts. I don't have any direct experience or knowledge of how they do in different environments. I know there is a woman in Alaska that was milking them in a dairy. My reasons for the recommendation may be a bit different then others. The angus is for size, maternal, fertility, carcass and milk. The Hereford is for (my word) "rustleability", size, fertility, maternal, carcass and disposition. The two give you heterosis.
If it was a drylot environement some continental couldn't hurt. Gebvieh or Simmenthal, I still don't know enough about Tarantaise.

dun

MR3":1c77sijv said:
What do you guys think about adding some Tarentaise blood to the Angus x Hereford for that high desert scenario Guardian described?

dun":1c77sijv said:

dun

Beefy":1c77sijv said:

i agree with dun for the same reasons, especially angus for fertility and hereford for rustling ability. no experience with tarentaise here but angus, or angusXhereford is hard to beat. i'm not real big on straight hereford though but i guess somebody has to raise them.

What about xing brahman I know brahman is for hot climate but theres a guy from aust. thats says brahman is good for both climates, "we americans dont know it yet"
Read the postings thats what he stated.

The cattle might do as well, but the Brahman influence isn't really needed up there and the dock at the salebarn/slaughterhouse doesn't in my opinion make it a good idea.

dun

ronay0":3koivvas said:
What about xing brahman I know brahman is for hot climate but theres a guy from aust. thats says brahman is good for both climates, "we americans dont know it yet"
Read the postings thats what he stated.

A good red or black baldy cow base would be great. Breed those back to Angus or Balancer bulls and you'd be set. I'd stay away from brahman influence they'll get docked and you don't need the ear for them to get by.

I use Brahman influence, but say stay away if your program works without it. Brahman are excellent problem solvers for those who require it, but unless you live in a tropical climate you probably don't have that problem. They were used extensively in the past to help calving ease, but modern bull selection has done so much more. I'm working on a composite breeding system to try and reduce the influence while still maintaining a degree of the desired traits. Cross your fingers. Brahman breeders don't get offended, this is just an opinion.

Agatn it't like the little boy that kissed the calf in the butt, everyone to their own taste. Sure is hard to beat the herefords.

Or maybe consider black or red baldy cows and then for added heterosis breed to a Continental terminal sire? Charolais make for a real good terminal sire on the indicus/taurus cows down in my neck of the woods and would probably be good in your area on the English/English cows --- though not recommended for heifers IMHO. Or with Simmental or Gelbvieh sires you would have a growthy terminal-type Continental sire that you could probably just as well keep replacements out of, and you can get both of those in black.

But I guess the first thing I woud do is to roam around and talk with the locals that actually make their living in the cattle business. Check around and see what grows & sells best in your area and determine how you plan to market your calves. And if you can, try to get some meaningful input to help you determine how 100% English selling on quality grade stacks up against the grids for English/Continental crosses in your area. Doing some of those things should give you some additional useful ideas and guidance. Good luck, Arnold Ziffle

it depends on what you like, but it wouldn't hurt to see what sells good.angus will need to be in the mix, and the northern herefords are good looking cattle. simmental is good in the mix. i have some simmental in mine and theyare excellent cross with hereford and angus bulls. black is hot and i like the brangus cross cattle but i am in the south. i would like to have some montana herefords.

After seeing how the last few posting print on the screen I'd like to note that the post by a Guest that was something like: "Since you're obviously rich it doesn't matter" WAS NOT MY POST . Thanks, Arnold Ziffle

Anonymous":xhuni0id said:
After seeing how the last few posting print on the screen I'd like to note that the post by a Guest that was something like: "Since you're obviously rich it doesn't matter" WAS NOT MY POST . Thanks, Arnold Ziffle
Arnold
I certainly didn't think it was you. It would not have been like you at all.
That was riduclious.

I'd go with the Herefords because they are exelent in weather like that. I have over 100 head of Herefords, and that's the kind of weather we have, so i'd truly go with the Herefords. (they have an awsome temperament!) :D

i think what has already been said is great but jus check into pinzgauer. there are not many around you i am sure and they really arent a hole lot more money wise. they are a very good breed with more great things about them then bad things. there is a guy who sells breeding stock around where i live in OHio and that is about the only farm that raises pinzgauers. he has the biggest purebred herd in the near area and i am talkin a lot of area and he only has 25 cows. thats jus what i think though

joe

The only real down side with pinz cattle are the stripes they'll get docked at sale time because they look like longhorn coloration. Not that they are but if you can get by paying less why not.

We raise registered beefmasters. We live in Central Texas and I know the breed does well in heat and in drylands (although we're not really a dry region). I'm not sure about the extreme cold, but as hearty of a breed as they are I think they'd do great! They have a very good disposition. We work cows with our 2 year old in tow. Check out the Beefmaster Breeders United website at http://www.beefmasters.org.

Stacy

Latest posts