What Breed Should I buy?

Help Support CattleToday:

RPFarm

Reaction score
I know this question is going to have mixed results but I still wanted to know what everyone's favorite breed of dairy cow is and why, I am looking to purchase 1 dairy cow to feed my hogs cats and stuff, mostly for a hobby. Also wondering what the best time of year is to rest your dairy cow, I believe it's for about 2 months for rest but I was wondering as far as winter or summer. Thanks guys!!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A good laugh is like manure to a farmer - it doesn't do any good until you spread it around"

a jersey cow would fitt your needs.an as for her dry period.that has todo with when she is bred.an you usually dry them up when they are 6 to 7 months bred.

One of the first things to consider is winters. Do you want her to calve during the worst of the winter and/or do you want to be milking her during the worst of the winter? The winter milking decision will ehp to decide when she should calve and be dry

Does a Jersey cow produce as much milk as a Holstein? Are are they pretty close to the same. We used to have dairy cattle and our purebred Holsteins produced on average about 4.5 - 5 gallons of milk per day (2 milkings). Can a Jersey produce close to the same or more?

RPFarm":334dn00g said:
Does a Jersey cow produce as much milk as a Holstein? Are are they pretty close to the same. We used to have dairy cattle and our purebred Holsteins produced on average about 4.5 - 5 gallons of milk per day (2 milkings). Can a Jersey produce close to the same or more?
Depends on what you consider close. Jersey will milk significantly less then Holstein but the BF content is much higher.

RPFarm":fmqhzncd said:
Jersey is the way to go ---less milk than a holstein, but butter fat in a jersey is much better than a holstein plus a jersey doesnt have a frame score of 10 and you can aford to feed a Jersey

T

4CTophand":23i978z9 said:
RPFarm":23i978z9 said:
Jersey is the way to go ---less milk than a holstein, but butter fat in a jersey is much better than a holstein plus a jersey doesnt have a frame score of 10 and you can aford to feed a Jersey

T

...Holsteins have been bred more so than ever the last ten years to produce higher butter fat..Also they really are easy keepers especially if you are not pushing them to life time production records, Holsteins are smart and very easy to train..But I must agree with Dun ,go by your weather if you do not have adequate shelter than a Holstein is not what you want. There are tonnes of good dairy breeds out there, do some research on which is best for your environment and your own personal needs..

As far as a dry period,,that is the whole purpose of a milk cow they are 24 - 7 ,get two, ours calve in the coldest, h@llish winter, but that is why you need adequate shelter ,no matter what the dairy breed.

Latest posts