what breed of steer should i show

Help Support CattleToday:

rodeoking06

Reaction score
Hi
this year i am going to purchase a steer to show at fair. But i wanted to know what breed of steer would be best to show at fair?
thank you
rodeoking06

It mainly depends on your location. Let us know where you are and we can help you a little better.

I think it also depends on how much experience you have with cattle. I mean, you wouldnt want something that is going to be somewhat crazy if youve never raised cattle before. Theres a lot of factors that could affect that? Personally I think you should just check out as many breeds as you can, make a group of breeds you like, then research them all, then make a decision. I did that too, and I came out with Brahmans. Liked them more than anything else.

I think it also depends on how much experience you have with cattle. I mean, you wouldnt want something that is going to be somewhat crazy if youve never raised cattle before. Theres a lot of factors that could affect that? Personally I think you should just check out as many breeds as you can, make a group of breeds you like, then research them all, then make a decision. I did that too, and I came out with Brahmans. Liked them more than anything else.

I am glad it worked out for you but I would not reccommend a Brahman steer for a first timer unless he came gentle AND halter broke.

Personally - Chiangus, Chimaine, Chi x angus x maine, Chiangus x simm, simangus.

Those have all worked really well for us in the past. If you are going to go to a major show you'd better have a good one or its out the gate baby.

Everyone is right...depends on your level of experience, confidence,
area you are in, etc.

First year my son showed one of our Hereford's...nice disposition,
gentle to handle, etc...didn't show well because Hereford's aren't
considered showy in this area, but received higher price
than Grand Champion...Second year Maine/Anjou and came in
top three showing with Senior 4H kids. This year will be Angus
because he has more confidence and experience handling and the
attitude I can do it!

Do your research, have fun, learn and Good Luck ;-)

Definately get something that is quiet and easy for you to handle your first year out! If you have a rank one, you won't want to do it again next year.

See what some of the other kids are showing, and get something you like.

Good luck!

txshowmom Those have all worked really well for us in the past. If you are going to go to a major show you'd better have a good one or its out the gate baby.[/quote said:
Sometimes it isn't how good of a steer you have it's who you are in those big shows. Really turns me off with a few of those people at Western and Louisville anymore. Reason I don't get into clubbies. I should though. At least market to the local 4-H kids. One kid $$ bought a Chimaine last year in the midwest, he got first of course, but what local kid can afford to go there and buy, however he would have gotten bottom if it was a carcass class. Made the other kids at least feel better.

Maybe someday I'll take a pen of 3 to NILE. Not really fretting about it though :p

Here where I live You stand a better chance if the cow has black hide meaning as long as it has some angus some where you stand a little better chance, but now I showed two smokie(reg. char. X reg. blk. angus) heifers in 2001-2002 year and they whipped some butt but the next show season(2002-2003) I showed a smokie and a reg. black angus heifer and didn't do worth a flip. and this year I'm showing two(heifer and a steer) that I raised personaly(the others a good friend of mine raised) and My heifer got first out of 23 at the perry ga. fair and it was her very first show and shes a blk. angus the steer is a half brother two her same bull different cow he's in a growing weird stage right now but he got 9th out of 17 at perry so not bad, but as to answer your question it doesn't really matter what the breed(I know it makes a difference :roll: ) but just remember it's only one mans opinion one might like one and the next might like something totally different it just depends on the person. Hope I helped

Latest posts