What breed of bull do I have?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hello,

I just located this board and I am fairly new to raising cattle. I have always wondered what breed of bull I have. Some people call him a Red Angus and other call him a Red Limo mix. I am trying to attach a picture but if that does not work here is the details. He is about 2 years old and 1200.lbs. He has very short stubby horns that are loose and a bump between them. He predominantly red with a little area of white hair on the base of his belly. What do ya think?

Bob2.jpg

Damon, seriously, sell that bull and buy one with a known pedigree. The price difference between the two won't be much. Just my respectful opinion.

ga. prime":141ddiyr said:
Damon, seriously, sell that bull and buy one with a known pedigree. The price difference between the two won't be much. Just my respectful opinion.

AGREE, get the heck rid of him while slaughter prices are high and go buy yourself a bull that you know for sure what is... if you buy a purebred Red Angus or Black Anugs bull you could source verify or AnguSource the calves and get an extra few $$$ for them....

I really don't think there is any Angus in him. I would say there is Shorthorn in him. If I could see his rear end it may convince me that there is Limousin in him.
If he has OK hindquarters and is quiet and you are selling the offspring off I probably would use him.
Good on you for wanting to learn everyone has to start somewhere.
Colin

Thanks for all the replys.

This bull has an excellent temper that is why he would be hard to replace. I did breed this bull to 2 cows I have and will see what size calves he throws. They are due in 3 weeks. One cow is a black Angus and the other is an old Hereford.

Thanks,

Damon K. Rapozo":35vriwzm said:
He is about 2 years old and 1200.lbs. He has very short stubby horns that are loose

First off, welcome to this wealth of information and put downs :D

Secondly, 1200 pounds and 2 years old??? The old boy needs some groceries.

Thirdly, "short stubby horns that are loose"== SCURS

My 2 cents would be for the shorthorn and the red angus cross. Maybe he isn't a cross at all...maybe he is a full blood shorthorn. I'm like everyone else...need to see the hind quarters before I'll throw in my vote for the limosine influence.

Good day! He looks like mostly shorthorn, could have a little simmental but weighing 1200lbs at 2 years not likely about the simmental part. If you are not sure of the breed or mother, how sure are you of the age? One of my concerns would be the look he has in his eye and the way he is standing looking at the person at the gate, How gentle is he? Looks like you are on the right track it appears you have some new pens to work with.

Damon, bottom line is he is still a nice bull. 1200 pounds in Southeast is not bad but Oregon is probably a different story. Some may not understand that unless we feed this beasts down south they don't grow off like they do out west. Must be the water :lol: No seriously they don't grow off down south unless the feed it poured to them. I guess our grasses do not provide the necessary neutriants like the grasses out west. Did you weigh him or is the 1200 a guess? He looks heavier than 1200 to me but I can't see his butt. If he throws good calves, is easy to keep, and you just want to raise commerical stuff, I say keep him. Small outifts need bulls that are easy to keep and handle. It is usually a crap shoot with a new one. I bought one one time that ate out of my hand, I got into a 20 x 15 ft foot pen with him and talked him into the back of my trailer. Got him home, unloaded and he proceeded to tear down three fences and run off as far as he could. Unless he fell down in the trailer and bumped his head, he just went nuts.

Just my opinion on the subject.

Alright all you experts :D , here a a rear view. a more experienced cattle farmer was over and thought he looked like 1400.lbs. I also checked my records and he is about 20 months old.

Thanks again!

BobRear2.jpg

Definately NO Limosine in him. Still needs some groceries. I'm sticking with the shorthorn theory.

Latest posts