What breed is this calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie":1xc772ue said:
http://cattle-today.com/Senepol.htm

Senepol

Senepol were developed on the Caribbean Island of St. Croix by Henry C. Nelthropp in the early 1900's by crossing Red Poll cattle and N'Dama cattle. The Senepol breed combines the N'Dama characteristics of heat tolerance and insect resistance with the extreme gentleness, good meat, and high milk production of the Red Poll. He selected for early maturity and maternal efficiency, no horns and solid red color, definite heat tolerance, and gentle disposition. The isolation sheltered the cattle from the fads and fancies of the purebred seedstock industry. While other breeds made giant leaps in one direction, only to turn and make equally large strides in the opposite direction, the Senepol made a series of small, multiple-trait steps toward animals whose production met the demand of their breeders. St. Croix provided a unique situation where ranchers practice selection for the traits they desired and mother nature provided natural selection for cattle that could produce at superior levels under the harsh St. Croix environment.

Thanks!! :D

msscamp":3mqswxh7 said:
preston39":3mqswxh7 said:
His phenotype suggest beefmaster...His color suggest red angus....the light hair around/above the nostrils suggest limousin. If I were a guessing cattleman...that would be my best conclusion.

If you wouldn't mind indulging someone who is not up on her lingo, what is a 'phenotype'? Is that body build, or perhaps body structure? And what is a 'Simbrah'? If I had to hazard a guess, I would say Simmental X Brahma? Also, if it wouldn't be too much to ask, what is a Senepol? No clue on that one. Thanks for your help.
=============

msscamp,

A definition;

"... the outward physical manifestation of
internally coded, inheritable, information".
====
It generally refers to the overall outward general appearance...structure....physical highlights if you will... of..in this case...an animal.

Hope that helps.

since that calf was bought out of the sale barn it could very well be a dairy x breed of calf jmo tho scott

buckaroo_bif":3sqo44yb said:
she looks limi to me cept i can't see her face. ears look too small maybe.>?
bif
I agree it looks like a Lmousin - the light tan upper lip sort of give it away, however it muight be a cross between Limo and Red Angus. The Angus influence might be the reason for the seemingly light hind quarter. But it is a pretty young animal, so phenotype would tend to make one think Limoxred Angus. :?:

preston39":2eq414i1 said:
msscamp":2eq414i1 said:
preston39":2eq414i1 said:
His phenotype suggest beefmaster...His color suggest red angus....the light hair around/above the nostrils suggest limousin. If I were a guessing cattleman...that would be my best conclusion.

If you wouldn't mind indulging someone who is not up on her lingo, what is a 'phenotype'? Is that body build, or perhaps body structure? And what is a 'Simbrah'? If I had to hazard a guess, I would say Simmental X Brahma? Also, if it wouldn't be too much to ask, what is a Senepol? No clue on that one. Thanks for your help.
"Quick rule of thumb: Phenotype=what it LOOKS like. Genotype=what it BREEDS like. DOC
=============

msscamp,

A definition;

====
It generally refers to the overall outward general appearance...structure....physical highlights if you will... of..in this case...an animal.

Hope that helps.

DOC HARRIS":2se5ribv said:
preston39":2se5ribv said:
msscamp":2se5ribv said:
preston39":2se5ribv said:

================
msscamp,

A definition;

====

Hope that helps.
===============
"Quick rule of thumb:
Phenotype=what it LOOKS like. Genotype=what it BREEDS like. DOC
================
Doc...I like the..."Good rule of thumb"......better than the definition. Have to remember that.

Baby2.jpg
l[/img]

Can't really tell if it has a black nose or if just in the shadow but if it has a black nose, it could very well be Tarentaise. Here is one of my babies and they look very similar.

="Schnurrbart
Baby2.jpg
[/img]

Can't really tell if it has a black nose or if just in the shadow but if it has a black nose, it could very well be Tarentaise. Here is one of my babies and they look very similar.

Nice

Latest posts