What breed is she?

Help Support CattleToday:

PLR

Reaction score
This is a cow out of a cow I bought from a neighbor three years ago. I dont know what breed she is. Some people have suggested Hereford or Shorthorn influence. I want to know because she had a great calf two years ago. He ended up Hanging at 574 pounds at 14 and a half months with out any grain or creep feed.

Any Ideas?

Shelby

Photos17.jpg

The Cow, 3.5 years old

photo_2.jpg

Her Half brother 2.5 years old

Hereford. Maybe/probably something else, but not necesarrily Shorthorn.

dun

Sure looks Herf/Shorthorn crossed to me...could have some Simmie in there too. That's the fun part of having mixed breeds - always leads to speculation as to what the genetic makeup is.

Take care.

Looks like the Hereford/Shorthorn crosses that we've had. What's her brother out of? Is it the same mother as the cow in the picture with a black bull for a father?

Back in the days when hereford and shorthorn were predominant breeds in this country there were a lot of cattle that looked just like that.

Your website photo section lists her as "Cheyenne, 3 1/2 year old shorthorn/angus cross".

I just sold a bunch in Alberta that looked like her.

CattleAnnie is pretty close to spot on - any time I see az roan I figure there is most likely some Shorthorn mixed in. As for the other half I'd pick a British - only 25% - Hereford. Pretty standard in some parts of the prairies I grew up in.

As for the half brother being black - well, what was the other "half"? That will tell the tale.

Bez

A guy in the next county has several cows like that. His are because of too many years of inbreeding his hereford cows.

certherfbeef":3dyfroqi said:
A guy in the next county has several cows like that. His are because of too many years of inbreeding his hereford cows.

Phew, didn't think anyone else had seen this situation with inbreeding.
The reason I originally said Hereford is because I've seen a couple of very inbred herds of Herefords that were roany like this one. The white neck patch parallel with the back rather then over the shoulders also seemed to say Hereford.

dun

Well her mother was all white with a few red roaned out spots. The sire of the bull was a purebred angus bull. I called her a shorthorn/angus cause I figured that her sire had some angus influence and her mother looked shorthorn. the guy I bought her from only had black bulls with white faces the year she was sired.

thanks

Shelby

This cow of yours looks like she is a cross between Shorthorn and Horned Hereford. Her brother is black, because he is probably half Shorthorn and half Black Angus.

She could be a pure "Roan" Shorthorn looks like the ones my Gpa raised back in the '40 & '50's. :)

Latest posts