what breed is it?

Help Support CattleToday:

wildsawmill

Reaction score
i got 4 hefers that are charlay cross , they had a holsten bull several generations back . anyway 2 are white & one is a pretty cinnamion color & one is 1/2 cinnamon color
so what breed brings the cinnamon color in

wildsawmill":39mcikr2 said:
i got 4 hefers that are charlay cross , they had a holsten bull several generations back . anyway 2 are white & one is a pretty cinnamion color & one is 1/2 cinnamon color
so what breed brings the cinnamon color in
If I'm not mistaken, the Charlois have 1 red gene and a diluter gene which causes the white looking color. This diluter gene also causes the Angus charlois x to be gray looking in color.
Valerie

Valerie, you are mostly right.

A white Charolais has a base color of red and (2) dilution genes. A cream to light red one has one diluter and one non-diluter gene (the dilution gene is incompletely dominant over the non-dilution, so you get part way). If there are spots, many white Charolais are spotted (have spotting genes) but you can't see it until they are crossed on something that makes the offspring only heterozygous diluter.

redcowsrule33":2dvtap1i said:
Valerie, you are mostly right.

A white Charolais has a base color of red and (2) dilution genes. A cream to light red one has one diluter and one non-diluter gene (the dilution gene is incompletely dominant over the non-dilution, so you get part way). If there are spots, many white Charolais are spotted (have spotting genes) but you can't see it until they are crossed on something that makes the offspring only heterozygous diluter.

That's the way I understand it. The color genes and the dilution genes work independently of each other.

well here are my girls , they are soposed to be all the same age 16 mo. you can see the cinn colored one
girls2225x169.jpg

cinn3250x188-1.jpg

Latest posts