what breed is best to cross with a LH?

Help Support CattleToday:

wild willy

Reaction score
I have a long horn bull not registered, and have two heinz 57 cows and was looking to purchase 2 more cows and was interested in finding out what would be the best breed or breeds to look into.

wild willy":j5mfw05k said:
I have a long horn bull not registered, and have two heinz 57 cows and was looking to purchase 2 more cows and was interested in finding out what would be the best breed or breeds to look into.

It doesn't matter your obviously not in it to make a profit. Why not Belgian Blue?

Holstein or Corriente then sell the calves as roping steers.

dun

wild willy":1g1al69q said:

your right blackpower, not in it for the money. i was given my mamma cow about seven years ago from uncle who kept her and as time went on traded a calf for the long horn. and was considering keeping a calf or two for beef. since all i have ever gotten out of the two cows are bull calves.

Willy: If you are bent on keeping the Longhorn bull because of sentimentality, want a pasture ornament, to throw small calves if you have real undersized cows or just because of some other intangible reason, well I say more power to you! It's your money that gets spent and you realize and freely admit that keeping and using the Longhorn bull is not motivated primarily by profit motives --- not a darn thing wrong with that.

But IMHO --- IF you are going to buy a few more cows AND definitely keep the LH bull, and you will want to keep a calf or two for your own beef, then by all means buy a couple black Angus cows. In so doing you will (hopefully) increase the carcass quality of your calves ---- unless you really WANT the super lean LH-type carcass. The LH/Angus calves have a good chance of being both black and polled so if you decide not to eat them you'll at least have a little better chance a getting a decent price for them at a sale barn. Consider getting rid of your Heinz 57's and in their place getting black Angus. Arnold Ziffle

wild willy":3quix5u5 said:
as ornament?? maybe Watusi (Dickinson Cattle is doing it) but why not just keep straight Longhorns. If you are buying you're cows for your own beef you can go two ways, for lean meat cross them to a terminal breed cow and if you want some marbling cross them to Angus or Shorthorn

Since your not in it for the money get an angus or polled hereford and keep that calf for meat and then have fun with the other cattle you buy whether they are more longhorns, holsteins, watusi, or Heinz 57 there will be $$ come from the barn to help buy some feed. I'd probably go with the holstein for a generation and keep the resulting heifers and put extra baby calves on them.

I have had great calves from my longhorn cows bred to my angus bull. He throws small calves like a longhorn but they gain alot faster than longhorns. Also mostly turns out black calves which never hurts anything.

While LH cross well with many breeds, it seems the producers I know seem to do the most of are Limosine, Saler and Angus. One of the LH producers I know quite well in Kansas, crosses LH/Angus and sells some very nice calves every year. Makes money on them to, contrary to those who would like you to think otherwise. I also know a gentleman in central texas that does LH/Limosine.. he runs about 200 LH mamas.. all Limosine bulls..also makes good money on them. WHile I dont cross breed here, I do sell alot of LH bulls to Angus as well as Brangus breeders. Dont let any one convince you that your LH crosses have to be ropers.....it is in fact totally not true. Good luck! :)

Dyann":25uoztwp said:
I also know a gentleman in central texas that does LH/Limosine.. he runs about 200 LH mamas.. all Limosine bulls..also makes good money on them.

So where does the LH come in if he's using all Limousin bulls?

Latest posts