What breed if starting over????

Help Support CattleToday:

What do you guys think about the Black hereford cattle? This is the breed that has come from crossing a angus and a hereford however in 94 they started a registry for them. I have been thinking about a starting to breed a few. Thanks.

tnwalkingred":3diz2qmq said:
What do you guys think about the Black hereford cattle? This is the breed that has come from crossing a angus and a hereford however in 94 they started a registry for them. I have been thinking about a starting to breed a few. Thanks.
Right now they're more of a novelty. I'd love to put a good polled hereford bull on some brangus ladies tho. :idea:

SEKDUTTON

Would these animals be for hobby or profit? For hobby just get whatever suits you. For profit, IMO you need to get cattle that are suitable to your farm/ranch environment and the forage it will produce. These animals also need to match what sells readily for good money with your marketing method. Once you know these facts then start looking for animals that will match these requirements as well as subtle factors related to cattle production. As for me, personal preference has little to do with what breed I produce.

cattleman99":1drzst1p said:
I'd use Simmental. They are the second most poplular breed worldwide behind the Brahma and cross well with pretty much anything. You can get Blacks, Reds, Fleckvieh and even a Dairy Strain if you want. They are about as diverse as you can get and excel in pretty much any climate. They also provide better milk production to make black baldies than the other option will. More milk means more weight in the fall. Fleckvieh are my personal choice but any would work. Personally I think a Hereford/Fleckvieh cross is hard to beat.
Couldn't have said it better :banana:
Someone posted that you lose too many pounds when you breed black (Angus) - not true if you use black Simmental - or black Simmental x Fleckvieh bloodlines. And if you like BWF, pick a black one with white face. :D
I think the poster already has his mind made up. Hereford bred Balancers.

cattleman99":hehflvna said:
I'd use Simmental. They are the second most poplular breed worldwide behind the Brahma and cross well with pretty much anything. You can get Blacks, Reds, Fleckvieh and even a Dairy Strain if you want. They are about as diverse as you can get and excel in pretty much any climate. They also provide better milk production to make black baldies than the other option will. More milk means more weight in the fall. Fleckvieh are my personal choice but any would work. Personally I think a Hereford/Fleckvieh cross is hard to beat.
My Simi/Herefords are top cows. The breeds seem to complement each other.
My Simi/Angus are are not top cows. Got the wrong lines here. Big cows with udder problems and dumb calves... Neighbor has had similiar issues and now likes 1/4 Simi.

I would change our commercial cow herd from Black Angus to Red Angus and continue crossing with Bonsmara bulls. Bonsmara gives me the heat tolerance (without the ear) and the built in sales market via Bonsmara Natural Beef, then to Sysco, and on to the consumer.

If it is at least 1/2 blood Bonsmara, then I can sell straight to BNB and get paid cattlefax price for Oklahoma. The cattle are weighed at the closest scales and are picked up on my ranch. It is nice not pay any freight or commission with only a 2% shrink; plus get $50.00 per head bonus for 1/2 bloods, or $60.00 per head bonus if 3/4 blood Bonsmara or greater. We have 200 Black Angus cows crossed with Bonsmara bulls. Our Bonsmara bonus money alone is over $10,000.00 per year. For me, changing from black to red Angus is what I would do over. It is all about making money, regardless of the breeds.

On the seedstock side, I would not change a thing. I love my Bonsmara cattle just like everyone else loves their breed of cattle.

HerefordxAngus will be the dominate breed of the future unless we screw it up on both sides of the equation. Which we are both capable of doing.

I run brangus cows with horned hereford bulls . I have a couple young brangus bulls I'm going to breed to the next two years for replacements . But down here brangus baldies or super baldies sell well for replacements and the steers don't get docked .like some of the other crosses.

JSCATTLE":3epd939a said:
I run brangus cows with horned hereford bulls . I have a couple young brangus bulls I'm going to breed to the next two years for replacements . But down here brangus baldies or super baldies sell well for replacements and the steers don't get docked .like some of the other crosses.

I am already moving toward a brangus cow herd because of the back to back droughts we have experienced in East Texas so essentially I am starting over. I am still kicking around whether to put them on a Hereford or Simmental bull.

Pineland":2ae8f8t9 said:
JSCATTLE":2ae8f8t9 said:

I am already moving toward a brangus cow herd because of the back to back droughts we have experienced in East Texas so essentially I am starting over. I am still kicking around whether to put them on a Hereford or Simmental bull.
The only thing I would do different than what I am now is probably use f 1 brangus cows . Most down here want the hereford baldies . I don't know anything about simmental crosses. I have a uncle that has a small herd of them but he doesn't cross breed .as long as they don't color your calves like a long horn they should do fine .

This is purely a "why not" question.

Why not Wagyu?

Or

Why not Murray Grey?

BTW - In my area you are docked if it ain't black.

alacattleman":1s5p8o2c said:
SEKDUTTON":1s5p8o2c said:
I know this will probaly get some peoples blood flowing and im not trying too just still trying to search for the best breed out there for me. i was looking at getting hereford and breeding a angus bull to them but not am thinkin maybe a gelbveih or balncer breed. just wondering what you guys would get if starting over? maybe a 3 way cross or stick with what ya have. and this post is not so everyone can dog on everyone elses breed just kinda wondering what yall would do.
just to give you a heads up, their legal documented name is black baldies
:cowboy: hard too beat

Only if they're black.. they could be reds too :p

Meanwhile, If I were to start over, i'd first of all get my stock from a reputable place, when we started we had 50% loss due to bad breeding that wasn't our fault, and I think there are a lot of poor breeders in any breed, but particularly herefords, and this is also because they are very common. I know that my taste for herefords has been spoiled more by a breeder than the breed itself... that being said...

I think I'd like to have a Saler/Shorthorn/Gelbveih mix, and I'd go with a solid red shorthorn, no roan, The Salers are good mothers and pretty durable cows, I'd watch for the fence jumpers though, Shorthorns have good milk and more docile than the Saler, which is nice, and the gelbvieh for a thicker build which I find is lacking in my shorthorns and to a lesser extent Salers... I'd end up with a mid sized animal which is fairly heavyset, and can pass as red angus at the sale barn around here, if it's anything other than red/black, you get less. I personally would stay away from anything with white in it since it's easier to add the color from the herd than to remove it.

anyhow, that's what I'd do

I will probably go Hereford. I still have a tank full of Brahman semen that sure would make for some good F1's. By the time it's gone I'll be tired of AI and a Brahman bull I sold will be ready to buy back, Secondly CT is loaded with good info. on Herford genetics. Those I cannot find there are plenty of experts to ask.