What Breed Bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi, looking for advice on what breed to service 1 st calf heifers.. Lots say use an Angus Bull,because of a smaller head diameter,at birth, others say that breeds such as Beefmaster are better because they don't ride the cow so hard, I'm going to buy a bull soon and need some sound advice! Thanks, P.C.

[email protected]

If you must you a bull versus AI, use the same selection criteria you would for AI. Calving ease is kind of breed dependent, what is calving ease for lets say Charolais is not calving ease for a Hereford. That said, use a bull with reliable data acquired from a reliable source. Pound bulls at the sale barn are rarely a good choice unless all you want to do is sell bred cows, once. An inferior bull will hurt your credability and reputation in a heart beat and take years to repair. Sermon is over. If they are well grown out heifers the choice is much less critical, smaller heifers require more care in calving ease/BW selection. Also, be aware that if they are predominantly a specific breed, if you use a breed other then that predominant breed you will have larger calves at birth then if you used the predominant breed bull. Contrary to popular believe I don;t really think you can starve a small calf out of a mating that will produce a large calf. Restricting the nutrition the month or two before calving may slightly affect the calves BW but only because it will be less healthy, it can also hurt the cows ability to produce colostorum and milk. Also make her harder to breed back. My views on the subject. But I would go with an Angus, either RED or the odd colored black ones.

dunmovin farms

> Hi, looking for advice on what
> breed to service 1 st calf
> heifers.. Lots say use an Angus
> Bull,because of a smaller head
> diameter,at birth, others say that
> breeds such as Beefmaster are
> better because they don't ride the
> cow so hard, I'm going to buy a
> bull soon and need some sound
> advice! Thanks, P.C.

I have to agree with Dunmovin, except I'd say use real Angus (the black ones). Most all breeds have some hard calving bulls, but Angus EPDs are quite reliable. The Angus Association recommends using a bull with less than 3 birth weight EPD on heifers. If the heifers are not well grown out or are a breed known for hard calving, I'd look at even a lower birthweight EPD. Good luck....

> advice! Thanks, P.C.

[email protected]

I would rccomend the Beefmaster, but a better choice would be a Brangus. They will provide much better calves than if you use a straight Angus and you could keep back some of the High quality heifers.

hi there, i have freshened out several heifers over the years and there are 2 breeds that will be very good for freshening out the heifers. keep in mind that the number one goal is to have a live calf and a live fresh heifer.

the two breeds are the angus and the longhorn. the longhorns are more lively and smaller at birth so there is essentially no calving problems and if you are not going to be there to baby sit the heifers then this would work fine. the negative part is that the calf will be worth considerably less than the angus. the angus is the best bull to breed heifers to and with black calves selling for 1.40 -1.50 per pounds for a 350 lb calf (which is what you will want to sell the calf at to let the heifer grow and mature) it is hard to go wrong with the angus. all other breeds such as limousin and gelbveigh and brangus throw occasional big calves so there is a risk. good luck.

> advice! Thanks, P.C.

[email protected]

> I think we have it astablished that we are going to use an angus. I would go with a red because they have more calving ease than the blacks. The blacks have some calving ease but not to the degree of the reds. That is a fact, not opinion.

Hi, looking for advice on what
> advice! Thanks, P.C.

Latest posts