What brands do you guys use?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hunny Do Ranch

Reaction score
I was on the valley vet site and I don't know if they ship to Canada but as I was looking through its hard to pick products when you can't actually pick-up the bottle and read the back.

What products do you recommend for:
Calcium
Mastitis
Pro-bios
Eletrolytes

I can't believe how much cheaper a lot of the stuff is. Like less than 1/2 price of what it is if I can find it here.

Or is there a place in Canada that sells this stuff. It is super expensive from the vets here. Cefa lac (not the same brand) costs $100 for a box of 24.

Calcium - CMPK gel or CMPK IV solution (I prefer the latter as if you have a bad case of milk fever, the gel may not be enough or work quickly enough).
Probiotics - Probios, I believe it's called.
Electrolytes - for calves? I like Purina's electrolytes with dextrose, but I think Land O'Lakes or one of the other other companies puts out an equivalent product for slightly cheaper. Nutri-drench is OK for cows.
Mastitis - the ones I like are prescription only. :p If you can get a prescription, go with Pirsue and maybe Spectramast DC (not LC). I like Pirsue for almost everything, but generally prefer Spectramast for ecoli or the coliforms. Can't believe it costs that much for Cefalac up there! it's one of the cheaper non-Rx drugs we have, also sold under the brand name Today.

I've always loved Quartermaster dry cow tubes and will use them on both lactating and dry cows IF I have any mastitis even tho they are considered "Dry Cow Treatment". Has one million units of penicillin and 1000 mg of dihydrostreptomycin and has a long (96 hour) milk withholding time for dairy cattle. A good one for lactating cows is Amoximast with Amoxicillin. both have to be purchased from the vet.

For milk fever my preference is Narcalciphos (From Vet) IV followed with a bottle of Dextrose solution. The Narcalciphos just always seemed to give better results than CMPK.

Fortunately it's probably been two years since I had to give an antibiotic for anything. (Looking for some wood to knock on) but we do keep Gentamycin, Micotil, and Pennicillin on hand and ALWAYS have a bottle of epinephrine on hand when giving injections especially vaccines and vitamins.

Latest posts