What are your Food safety practices?

Help Support CattleToday:

ranchersswiss

Reaction score
Hello to fellow members who are into food related business. I'm managing a restaurant soon and I want to ensure quality and good service. I'm aware that we are required for a food risk analysis and preventive controls. What food safety practices do you implement to ensure that we comply with the FDA standards. Any managers and entrepreneurs around?

I am regulated by the USDA so I'm different than a restaurant. Health department handles the inspections of restaurants and they are easier to deal with on some things than the USDA. Sanitation, traceability and process critical control point documentation is important in what I do. Some of the stuff is common sense, some is simply silly and a lot depends on your inspector and how you answer questions.

Employee hygiene, sanitation, food temperatures all critical. Check with the restaurant association and take the manager certification class. Study up on HACCP. Make written procedures, then enforce them. Have overseen 22 cafeterias
for years, and - knock on wood - not a foodborne illness related incident yet. Your local health department may
have slightly different/more stringent requirements than the national certification will teach you, and they will inspect
before you open. They often are a good source of information and help. Good luck!

Use Common sense. Which FDA and health dept seems to be short on. HACCP is a joke and the records can be easily manipulated. Which they are quite regularly. The best advice: Do not sell a product that you would not eat yourself.

zirlottkim":1gvwv4qa said:
Use Common sense. Which FDA and health dept seems to be short on. HACCP is a joke and the records can be easily manipulated. Which they are quite regularly. The best advice: Do not sell a product that you would not eat yourself.

A lot of wisdom in that.

zirlottkim":12cvn0tn said:

I had a rule for all my cooks, that I learned from my mentor early in my chef career. He would say "If my family, or my grandma walked through the door right now, would you feed it to them/her?"

Unfortunately, you have to follow all health dept regulations, even those that are over kill or wrong. I remember having a fruit fly problem on onions, so we built an outdoor storage shed and stored the onions in there. It was a battle, and my argument was, once I brought the onions in he would write me up for a fly problem, which he agreed, but he wrote me up for outdoor storage, and the only solution was to process the onions when they arrived and store them in the walk-in.

Honesty and integrity are key. My family actually asked me on Sunday how many times I fed food that fell on the floor. I could honestly tell them that I fired every cook that tried to serve it, because I could walk up to any table and say "Hey, your food on the floor. Instead of serving it to you, we are comping it and remaking it." No one ever complained.

Do what's right and the rest will fall into place. And work with the health dept, and treat them like partners. I know I complain about them a lot because we had our issues, but I always maintained the attitude of partners and never feared them.

Thank you guys for all the pieces of advice about the food safety management system. It's really a big help to me and our company since everything you said were all true. I'm just new in this business so this is something I will be thinking and will take into consideration.

I will be checking this too.

http://www.versesolutions.com/food-safe ... t-software

ranchersswiss":2wdu2iwn said:
Thank you guys for all the pieces of advice about the food safety management system. It's really a big help to me and our company since everything you said were all true. I'm just new in this business so this is something I will be thinking and will take into consideration.

I will be checking this too.

http://www.versesolutions.com/food-safe ... t-software

In your earlier thread some months ago where you asked this same question and you said you were using this software but now you are checking this software out so what gives?

Latest posts