What are you willing to PAY ??

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":1znbivoa said:
It's official , I own this little piece of land now. I still can not believe it did not get out in the community that I was buying it.

Congrats dash!! Happy for you!

Kingfisher":ik3c2cc5 said:
Congrats on your purchase. What's it matter if the community knew about your plans?

mine and his other neighbor is his EX inlaws . They are the reason he is wanting to move , His exwife moved in with them and is a drama queen. I have no issues with them as they don't bother me. Also this piece used to belong to another neighbor years ago he lost in a foreclosure. I have heard him many times say he would buy it back if he ever got the chance. The market value is more than what I gave for it so I didn't want anyone else coming in and offering more as that would have caused some animosity. Also with our deal as everyone else understood it I rented his property and equipment and now he is renting my doublewide on this place until he moves. If someone else had of bought it they would have wanted him out in 30 days . He has till EOY if it takes it. I suspect it will be gone early OCT at this point as he found a couple acres he is going too buy and it will take a few weeks for him to put up a barn to store his stuff. We have the necessary contracts for legal stuff but most of the deals were done on handshakes. we have been neighbors for over 15yrs and have never had a cross word. even though we live out in the country there are a lot of people that employ the rumor mill as their profession. It give me great pleasure to tell some of them I bought it just to see the look on their faces when they had no clue. When I told him yesterday I was gonna put up no trespassing signs he laughed and said if I wanted him too he would nail the one that faces his exinlaws up for me.

M-5":2wqk4osn said:
Kingfisher":2wqk4osn said:
Congrats on your purchase. What's it matter if the community knew about your plans?

mine and his other neighbor is his EX inlaws . They are the reason he is wanting to move , His exwife moved in with them and is a drama queen. I have no issues with them as they don't bother me. Also this piece used to belong to another neighbor years ago he lost in a foreclosure. I have heard him many times say he would buy it back if he ever got the chance. The market value is more than what I gave for it so I didn't want anyone else coming in and offering more as that would have caused some animosity. Also with our deal as everyone else understood it I rented his property and equipment and now he is renting my doublewide on this place until he moves. If someone else had of bought it they would have wanted him out in 30 days . He has till EOY if it takes it. I suspect it will be gone early OCT at this point as he found a couple acres he is going too buy and it will take a few weeks for him to put up a barn to store his stuff. We have the necessary contracts for legal stuff but most of the deals were done on handshakes. we have been neighbors for over 15yrs and have never had a cross word. even though we live out in the country there are a lot of people that employ the rumor mill as their profession. It give me great pleasure to tell some of them I bought it just to see the look on their faces when they had no clue. When I told him yesterday I was gonna put up no trespassing signs he laughed and said if I wanted him too he would nail the one that faces his exinlaws up for me.

That's why I like the land a lot more than the people drama surrounding it. Out on my ranch have no drama to deal with other than the elements, bull getting out, and work associated with keeping up and maintaining property. I'll take that over people drama any day. Once the land drama subsides enjoy the land and forget the rest. The land is there forever, people aren't.

M-5":96rvpef0 said:

just a screen shot of what I purchased for perspective . This type land is around 2800.00 an acre according to comps in our area

Cool exciting but what is there for shade, water? Also what are those two buildings towards north edge of property? Nice that it is fully cleared land for better stocking capacity since there is so much timber land down there. What can you stock on it 15 cow-calf pair?

Brute 23":19arjro1 said:
Congrats!

My brother and I are making a play for 80ac that adjoins us. Trying to do the same thing by keeping it on the DL.

Best of luck land buying is a competitive process so yes keeping on DL like M-5 did very smart.

NECowboy":3mdgg1ig said:
M-5":3mdgg1ig said:

just a screen shot of what I purchased for perspective . This type land is around 2800.00 an acre according to comps in our area

Cool exciting but what is there for shade, water? Also what are those two buildings towards north edge of property? Nice that it is fully cleared land for better stocking capacity since there is so much timber land down there. What can you stock on it 15 cow-calf pair?

A 40x60 barn w/15' leanto off the back and a 90's model double wide . The fence is in the wood line and most of it is 100+ yr old oaks. the water line run 1/2 down the fence on the left side field. under normal conditions I could run 15 pair easy. The fields on the far left is Bahia the other two patches are tiff 85

Glad it worked out for you Darryl. The double wide should help you out on the income side. It would here. Looks like a nice place.

I just closed Friday on a farm I've been renting for several years. I know exactly what you're talking about regarding keeping it quiet. I never thought he would sell it because he actually had already given his grandson the right of survivorship. Grandson is doping and acting the fool. One night the man calls me and asks if I'd be interested in buying his place. I said that I sure would if I could afford it. He told me to come see him, he was fair, and the rest is history. He did request lifetime fishing rights which I was more than happy to oblige.

M-5":y8mbtdva said:
NECowboy":y8mbtdva said:
M-5":y8mbtdva said:

A 40x60 barn w/15' leanto off the back and a 90's model double wide . The fence is in the wood line and most of it is 100+ yr old oaks. the water line run 1/2 down the fence on the left side field. under normal conditions I could run 15 pair easy. The fields on the far left is Bahia the other two patches are tiff 85

Wish our stocking rate was like that here (it's more like 7 acres/au). I'm going to try to improve on that by doing rotational grazing, cross fencing etc, stock tanks in each sub pasture and hoping then that way for closer to like 4 acres/au. Pasture here is like $1600/acre which for the stocking capacity is kind of high. We have a lot of farmers/ranchers (most people here do both) that made $7-8/bushel on corn (though it's now 2.96 so rough for many). Farming/ranching pretty much our ONLY industry so makes it quite competitive on farm ground. I guess I'll try not to look at what we paid vs stocking rate or would just feel depressed. Land has great view, some good hunting areas, and we want to build a house on it so guess some value in that for us.

I would say what you are paying based on the stocking rate is low. Around here you would be looking at $20,000/AU. So feel blessed and not depressed.

NolanCountyAG":2x1wb18p said:
I would say what you are paying based on the stocking rate is low. Around here you would be looking at $20,000/AU. So feel blessed and not depressed.

I'm not being sarcastic I just really want to know from someone smarter than me..... How can a person justify that cost for land to be used for a cow/calf operation or stocker operation? There's no way it can ever pay for itself with cattle unless there's something I don't know.

When we started buying land 15 years ago it was $400/acre then about 8 years ago it crawled up to $800. Now your looking at $1200-1500 per acre. All the big places are being spilt up and people are buying them to hunt. We do have lots of wind turbines but most people don't sell their wind right(LOL) so that shouldn't be affecting price.

JMJ Farms":2w5j72cp said:
I'm not being sarcastic I just really want to know from someone smarter than me..... How can a person justify that cost for land to be used for a cow/calf operation or stocker operation? There's no way it can ever pay for itself with cattle unless there's something I don't know.

1) increase stocking rate
2) increase gross margin
3) leverage some leased land
4) sell recreational use
5) move to lower cost area
6) combination of the above

Cows are a challenge because of their forage consumption. There have been periods where stockers could pay for land. This year is not one of them.

I have a friend who is good with the spreadsheets, and he has gone full time with direct sales of grass fed. He is moving towards buying feeders (no cow forage required) and finishing on a mix of perennial pasture and cover crops.

An ongoing ag issue in my area is that deer hunters are driving the land market. Many deer hunters exclude cattle from their properties.

Stocker Steve":13oibtvt said:
JMJ Farms":13oibtvt said:

1) increase stocking rate
2) increase gross margin
3) leverage some leased land
4) sell recreational use
5) move to lower cost area
6) combination of the above

Cows are a challenge because of their forage consumption. There have been periods where stockers could pay for land. This year is not one of them.

I have a friend who is good with the spreadsheets, and he has gone full time with direct sales of grass fed. He is moving towards buying feeders (no cow forage required) and finishing on a mix of perennial pasture and cover crops.

An ongoing ag issue in my area is that deer hunters are driving the land market. Many deer hunters exclude cattle from their properties.

With cost of land now my goal is to use rotational grazing to increase stocking rate. We have some dryland so growing that for feed to increase gross margin by not having to pay for as much feed in winter.

As far as moving, I came here for work from SC as economy in SC was terrible (getting better now but nothing like the economy here which is much much better). SC, GA seems better from a purely cattle perspective - cost of land vs. stocking rate, but would not nearly be as good for my off farm business.

Latest posts