What are you seeing?

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
There should be a "market" section on these boards.

There was a post on these boards this spring about bull prices. Hard for people to pay high for a bull when their feeder prices are projected to be dismal. Anyone taking any feeders to sale soon/lately? What are you seeing/expecting?

Yeah, I went Tuesday. 1.40 for 7 weights. Sold my 6 year old bull too. He brought 1770 and weighed 1960.

We had 4 bulls to sell but didn't advertise them. Rented them out in mid May for July 4th pickup for $500 each. Had 5 calls from mainly repeat customers that wanted to find a bull as cheap as possible. Sold 4 @$2000 each which wasn't enough for the quality but was glad to keep a customer happy then ended up pulling a bull of mine to replace a 4 year old to a repeat guy that wanted some new genes. He ended up weighing 1975 and brought $1.0575/# so that wasn't a bad deal either. We are keeping 6 back his year as of now and $2,000 next summer looks good with $1.50 500# steer price! Who knows what will happen~!

angus9259":2rlqgejp said:
There should be a "market" section on these boards.

There was a post on these boards this spring about bull prices. Hard for people to pay high for a bull when their feeder prices are projected to be dismal. Anyone taking any feeders to sale soon/lately? What are you seeing/expecting?

Unless someone else posted from your area it would be a waste of time. Prices here don't have much to do with prices there.

Calf market was $6 to $8 per cwt better than week ago. I saw a set of 6 fancy tiger stripe F1's average weight was 520 bring $2.52 a lb. Caustic Burno, you would have loved this girls. I will try to post a picture latter.

BC":28o2e32f said:
Calf market was $6 to $8 per cwt better than week ago. I saw a set of 6 fancy tiger stripe F1's average weight was 520 bring $2.52 a lb. Caustic Burno, you would have loved this girls. I will try to post a picture latter.
BC, surely you misquoted the price on the heifers. If not that's double the price 520 lb heifers brought here last week.

kenny thomas":1bbxycsg said:
BC":1bbxycsg said:
BC, surely you misquoted the price on the heifers. If not that's double the price 520 lb heifers brought here last week.

On fancy tiger F1s it wouldn't surprise me.

Kenny, I saw the bidding war. Several players up to $2.30 a lb and then there just two individuals. Here is a picture of the market report and a picture of the F1's heifers in a pen with a couple of Charolais heifers.

VZ_7-30-16.jpg

tiger_heifers.jpg

BC":9jnjmtuh said:
Kenny, I saw the bidding war. Several players up to $2.30 a lb and then there just two individuals. Here is a picture of the market report and a picture of the F1's heifers in a pen with a couple of Charolais heifers.

VZ_7-30-16.jpg

tiger_heifers.jpg
Wow again, is it very common for them to get that much higher than other cattle of the same quality?

kenny thomas":11zkvyfz said:
The bottom line of this market report should be posted on the castrate or not thread.
Here is what I wrote tonight on that thread:

"Here are some averages from todays sale. I went in the office after the sale and asked for averages on 3 orders that I observed this afternoon.
BT 40 (bull calves) average weight - 621 average price per cwt. = $121
BT 758 (steer calves) average weight - 651 average price per cwt = $127
BR 58 (steers, top quality) average weight - 613 average price per cwt = $135.57

It is easy to see $6 to $10 per cwt difference on 600+ lb steer vs bull calves. That is $36 to $60 per head difference. It amazes me to see a big bull calf that someone took the time to put an ear tag in his ear, but couldn't or wouldn't take the time to steer him."

BC I know what the tiger stripes are and that they are popular but do some bred them just for the heifers they sell? I assume the steers are not as high?

TexasBred":2dgltzvg said:
Unless someone else posted from your area it would be a waste of time. Prices here don't have much to do with prices there.

Prices go up and down as general trends and relative percentages unless there's a specific and sudden cropping of a health issue that prevents interstate transfer. So the information is still helpful to me.

BC":1qu8fe1j said:

VZ_7-30-16.jpg

tiger_heifers.jpg

Could have been a couple folks jerking the numbers and protecting their animals - seeing if someone would bite.

Tough pricing for everything else though it seems. Will need to subtract 20% for my area anyway.....

kenny thomas":2wq9mvnz said:
BC I know what the tiger stripes are and that they are popular but do some bred them just for the heifers they sell? I assume the steers are not as high?
Yes, there are several people that raise the F1's for the heifer calves. The steer mates DO NOT top the market. Most of the big F1 producers retain ownership of the steers. They have been selecting Brahman genetics with better carcass traits (they are out there, you just have to search)

Sold 3 good black gelbvieh sired steers today. 530lbs@$1.43=$758 / 600lbs@$1.37=822 / 620lbs@$1.35=$837

I was well satisfied.

I only look at the average when I want to see how the market is doing.. seeing a few heifers sell for $1.20/lb over average means nothing to me.. I know they weren't mine

Latest posts