What are you paying for AI'ing?

Help Support CattleToday:

We have two AI people we deal with. One charges a trip charge - $18 and then $8 per head. We synch. part of our herd so we only get charged one trip charge for his services. The other one charges $10 per head with no trip charge. We call him when we catch one in heat prior to our synchronizing. With both of them we supply the semen which is usually $30-40/straw for Limousin semen.
Our AI tech is more than just someone who inseminates our cows though. He fills our semen tank and can sometimes get semen that we have been unable to find on our own. Also, he gives us advice on which bulls to use or stay away from because he's either seen or heard about the calves from these bulls. After the calves hit the ground he's back to see what worked or what could be improved on.
Good luck with your venture!

Jennifer

We did over 60 hours of AI'ing in class. We had to get a rod passed and then the professor/ TA would check where the rod was. Once you figured out passing a rod you could do 10 per class.

I get my semen from All West Breeders out of Missoula MT, only semen rep in the area. He comes by every 8 weeks, its about 300 miles to my place. So we don't have many people AI'ing in my area that's why I was asking about do some. We don't have any dairies nearby that I could work for, but do have some large ranches. The professor for my class said he would take me with him when he goes to MT to AI in the spring if I was still interested. That may be the way to go to get some experience.

Bobg

Boy if they charge better than $20 a head down south I think I need to make a trip down there. Up here I usually get $5/head but am usually doing better than 150 at a time. It is not my profession so I take what I can get. Maybe that's why everyone wants me to do theirs because I work for cheap.

yup, welcome to the west. Probably from here though. It seems that there is a lot of small herds in the east and midwest and the coastal west and in smaller herds you get more money and do alot less cows. It would be a sweet plum to do 150 head at 15 bucks though.