What are you paying for AI'ing?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bobg

Reaction score
I would like to start AI'ing on the side and was wondering what everyone was paying. I'm located in southeastern Washington and I know that prices will vary. As far as I know there is no one else in this area doing it. What I'm looking for is the price per animal, plus what a second, third or more animals would cost to do at one time.

Bobg

Don't know what is costs to AI anymore. But I danged sure wouldn't be paying anyone just out of AI school to do it. :roll:

Espically someone who thinks he is goodeough right out of a class to pred check acuratley at 70 days.

You seem to be blowing alot of smoke there bubba.

Muratic,

Your a real smart a$$ aren't you. I'm just asking a simple question and you want to cause trouble. AI'ing is not that hard if the person checking for standing heat does their job. Ya everyone gets better with practise, you got to start somewhere. As far as preg checking yes I can tell when a cow is at 70 days, but most preg checking is not done that early. Anyone can do it when cows are normally checked at 5 to 6 month.

Have a good day and why don't you take a Prozac.

Bobg

I was told, the cost is around 10-12 dollars per head with a 50 hd min.

I have just finished school a few weeks back and will be doing my own in a few weeks and a friend wants me to do his in Jan. I told him that I would not gurantee the results but I am not charging him anything. He is willing to give me a try and he has a bull to catch what I miss. EVEN the pro's at AI had to start somewhere.

Bobg":3i68cm1r said:
C HOLLAND":3i68cm1r said:
EVEN the pro's at AI had to start somewhere.

I don't plan on charging full price until I that I'm doing an adequate job of it. Just need somewhere to start.

Bobg

you can let them pay you when the calves hit the ground instead of when you a.i.
that way, you'll get the experience, but they only have to pay for the ones you settle.

Txag,

That's a good idea, maybe charge for the semen if I supply it and then go from there.

Bobg

[/quote]you can let them pay you when the calves hit the ground instead of when you a.i. that way, you'll get the experience, but they only have to pay for the ones you settle.[/quote]

I make 15 a unit, up to 20 head, 10 for more head, but I have been doing it for quite a while. I recommend holding off a while before you go out and start selling your skills, you can make enemies if you have problems, or don't settle as many cows as they think you should. You should be proficiant and confident with numbers to back you up before making too many business ventures in that arena. Oh, they pay for the semen.

AI'ing is like doctoring or lawyering. There are no guarantees.

I would never take a dime for it except for expenses (traveling, etc.) nowdays.

Most of the people I have AI'd for recently are friends or potential customers anyway.........a little "good will" goes a long way.

I went to AI school in 1969 and went to work for ABS breeding dairy cows for them the day after I graduated. It took about a week of breeding 20-30 cows per day to really get the hang of it.

Practice makes perfect find a bunch of cows and start working with them. Hiefers are more difficult because the cervix is so small. I get all my practice at a dairy barn. If you know some one who has a dairy and is willing to let you work with them on there breeding program it is a good place to work on your technique.

Bob....a guy from Rearden charges $65.00 and supplies the semen...add ten bucks for carcass semen. I've used him but didn't get settle so went back to using a bull...all settled the first time. DMc

My ABS rep charged $5 per head to arm them, he gets $1 per straw of semen when I order it thru him. If I have him come help with shots or CIDR's he just charges a flat rate for having to be called out on a rescue mission for me. That is for 150 head, I think he charges more for smaller herds.

I get charged $10 for the call, and whatever the going rate is for the semen I order. So if I use Bando and his semen is $18.00/straw my charge will be $28.00 total.

Bobg":2ogajncn said:
I would like to start AI'ing on the side and was wondering what everyone was paying. I'm located in southeastern Washington and I know that prices will vary. As far as I know there is no one else in this area doing it. What I'm looking for is the price per animal, plus what a second, third or more animals would cost to do at one time.

Bobg
The guy that does it for us charges $25 per head.

I'm just wondering......

When you say charge em for the calves that hit the ground in the spring...... How do you know if the calf is an AI or a cleanup bull result?

:?:

Thanks!

cornstalk":1qwryfyg said:
I'm just wondering......

When you say charge em for the calves that hit the ground in the spring...... How do you know if the calf is an AI or a cleanup bull result?

:?:

Thanks!

If your records are worth a crud at all your dates should tell ya.

I AI then wait to see if they pass over the next heat then turn the bull out closer to the next cycle. That seperates the calving dates by better than 6 weeks. No problems telling the AI calves from the bull's calves.

Howdy,
$15 a head here.
customer supplies semen.
travel distance can come into play for long distance, unless they want multiple breedings, say 50 plus head.