What are you giving up?

Help Support CattleToday:

If you really want to test youself the three most addictive things to give up are cigartettes, alcohol and sex. I am not addicted to any of these, and am pretty much free of sin, except I do tend to lie. :hide:

J&D Cattle":33y4xpp6 said:
TN Cattle Man":33y4xpp6 said:
J&D Cattle":33y4xpp6 said:
Methodist here too.
Seems like here in the South, the majority of churches are either Methodist or Southern Baptist!

I don't imagine the Southern Baptist's would put up with me very long. :)

Lots of country Baptist churches around here. Seems like one down every county road.
if you ever take a Baptist fishing,, you better take two,,, if you take just one, he'll drink all your beer..but if you take two, wont either one touch em... :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":335fyrhi said:
Lots of country Baptist churches around here. Seems like one down every county road.
if you ever take a Baptist fishing,, you better take two,,, if you take just one, he'll drink all your beer..but if you take two, wont either one touch em... :cowboy:[/quote]

Nail on the head. :lol:

J&D Cattle":147cjrq4 said:
ALACOWMAN":147cjrq4 said:
if you ever take a Baptist fishing,, you better take two,,, if you take just one, he'll drink all your beer..but if you take two, wont either one touch em... :cowboy:

Nail on the head. :lol:[/quote]
Isn't that the truth!!

Do you know what the difference is between a Methodist and a Baptist?....

A Methodist will at least say hello to you at the liquor store!! :lol2:

I gave up Catholicism 30 years ago and became Presbyterian. I never check with them to see how they feel about lent and really don't care..

It's pretty simple for me Love the Lord year round, and be as kind as you can be. (note that i am not always successful on the second part but i keep trying)

That said i exalt Easter more than any other holiday as it is the day my Lord is risen.

:2cents:

3waycross":3syv1wm2 said:
I gave up Catholicism 30 years ago and became Presbyterian. I never check with them to see how they feel about lent and really don't care..

It's pretty simple for me Love the Lord year round, and be as kind as you can be. (note that i am not always successful on the second part but i keep trying)

That said i exalt Easter more than any other holiday as it is the day my Lord is risen.

:2cents:

I agree with you. I was raise Luthern. They did something for lent but it has been too many years ago for me to remember what. Now I attend an Assembly of God. I would imagine they will mention lent but that is about it. Year round is a much better plan.

J&D Cattle":2au30zlw said:
ALACOWMAN":2au30zlw said:

Nail on the head. :lol:[/quote]
Not really!

TN Cattle Man":2nq41u7v said:
ga.prime,

Lent lasts for 40 days. Lent is a time when many Christians prepare for Easter by observing a period of fasting, repentance, moderation and spiritual discipline. The purpose is to set aside time for reflection on Jesus Christ - his suffering and his sacrifice, his life, death, burial and resurrection
You penned that very well! Thanks Brother! I heard a good bit of radio last week on the topic of lent and how we as evangelicals can practice this period as you describe. Thanks again for your post

denvermartinfarms":12m2dxon said:
J&D Cattle":12m2dxon said:
ALACOWMAN":12m2dxon said:

Nail on the head. :lol:
Not really![/quote]

Got Baptist relatives in Missouri. He is pretty darn close if not dead on. Been there seen it many times! Not passing judgement just tellin it like it is!

3waycross":39od6ljr said:
Got Baptist relatives in Missouri. He is pretty darn close if not dead on. Been there seen it many times! Not passing judgement just tellin it like it is!

Yep, got a good Baptist "Deacon" friend. He's really a pretty neat guy especially on Sunday and I'm sure he gives 10% of everything to the church....Monday thru Saturday he'll do whatever it takes to make that $$$ at any cost.

I'm sure we could all be stronger in our faith or at least I know I could. These special times of the year are good reminders tho of how much our Lord loves us and how much he suffered for us. I know most protestants have a cross in their church somewhere. We still use the crucifix which has the corpus on the cross....Not that Jesus was left on the cross and not that he didn't rise from the dead three days latter....but more as a visual reminder of just how much he loves us.

I agree there are some that are like that but not all. We go to a very small non denomintional church. around here alot of the assembly's of god people are the one's that will do exactly what you are talking about,some of my dads family is that way, some of them will do certain things when they are on vacation where knowone knows them but act like they are better than everyone else here.

Just a quick update...

I have stayed committed to the "No-Carbs" (what I gave up for Lent) and although the first week was not fun at all... I find now that I have a lot of energy and have lost a total of 7 pounds! I plan on being carb free until Easter and will keep you posted as to the weight loss and overall well-being.

Brian

TN Cattle Man":1i4yvx05 said:
Just a quick update...

I have stayed committed to the "No-Carbs" (what I gave up for Lent) and although the first week was not fun at all... I find now that I have a lot of energy and have lost a total of 7 pounds! I plan on being carb free until Easter and will keep you posted as to the weight loss and overall well-being.

Brian

Hang in there Brian. You'll make it.

TN Cattle Man":6rqezy59 said:
Just a quick update...

Brian

I'm happy for ya TN!! My hope is that you don't stop just because your Lent is over. I don't mean carb free, but rather keep an eye on them until you reach whatever weight you want to be at. After you reach your desired weight, then you will immediately know when to back off the carbs if the weight rises. It worked for me too. Not everyone who wants to lose a few are carb sensitive but it seems you are and now you know it. Recognizing it allows you more control now. Good luck!

James T":2v877xmo said:
TN Cattle Man":2v877xmo said:
Just a quick update...

Brian

I'm happy for ya TN!! My hope is that you don't stop just because your Lent is over. I don't mean carb free, but rather keep an eye on them until you reach whatever weight you want to be at. After you reach your desired weight, then you will immediately know when to back off the carbs if the weight rises. It worked for me too. Not everyone who wants to lose a few are carb sensitive but it seems you are and now you know it. Recognizing it allows you more control now. Good luck!

Thanks James. After a lot of research, I have found that controlling carbs is the key to sustained weight loss. As I get older, it is apparent that I do not need the same carb's that I did when I was younger... and we all know what happens to carbs that aren't used... stored as fat!!

I plan on getting down to a weight that I am comfortable at and then slowly start introducing carbs back into my diet (understanding the difference between good and bad carbs). I actually thought it was going to be a lot harder then it really is. Granted, there are times when the cravings are horrible (especially breads and pasta) but I find that a quick snack of cheese or some beef jerky typically curves the craving.

Good to know someone else on the boards is doing the same thing.

Brian :cboy:

Latest posts