What are you giving up?

Help Support CattleToday:

TN Cattle Man

Reaction score
This is purely a question out of curiousity more then anything else... I do not want to have a "Religous" debate on the topic!

To those of you who observe Lent... Happy Ash Wednesday! As the tradition goes, typically we are encouraged to give something up during Lent. With today being the start of Lent, I am just curious as to who on the boards observe the season and what, if anything, are you going to be giving up?

For me, I am going to try to give up carbohydrates... I have a few friends who have been very successful with this form of weight loss and believe me... I need to take off a few pounds.

Brian

ga.prime,

Lent lasts for 40 days. Lent is a time when many Christians prepare for Easter by observing a period of fasting, repentance, moderation and spiritual discipline. The purpose is to set aside time for reflection on Jesus Christ - his suffering and his sacrifice, his life, death, burial and resurrection

Thanks TN, if you come up with a list of no or low carb foods, let me in on it. I need to cut way back on those also.

TN Cattle Man":2xgtsa3p said:
This is purely a question out of curiousity more then anything else... I do not want to have a "Religous" debate on the topic!

To those of you who observe Lent... Happy Ash Wednesday! As the tradition goes, typically we are encouraged to give something up during Lent. With today being the start of Lent, I am just curious as to who on the boards observe the season and what, if anything, are you going to be giving up?

For me, I am going to try to give up carbohydrates... I have a few friends who have been very successful with this form of weight loss and believe me... I need to take off a few pounds.

Brian

Thank you Brian. As a Catholic my family observes Lent beginning today "Ash Wednesday" with no meat and then no meat on fridays. I always give up my favorite "Beer" for lent. Really a small sacrifice as it's loaded with carbs too ;-) Maybe I'll not only be revived spiritually but drop a few pounds in the process. We also try to "add" something special during lent so we increase our giving during this period to a point that it too becomes somewhat of a sacrifice.

PS. Most evangelicals do not observe Lent, however, Methodist, Lutherans, Episcopalians and a fw others all do.

To all my catholic friends: if you feel the need to give up something for lent, give up your money. Ill be happy to take good care of it for you. Pm me for mailing details. I only accept cashiers checks and money orders.
Shalom

In our church (Lutheran) it is more a positive change as opposed to giving something up, but maybe the change IS giving something up. The focus is more on what you will do, I think, rather than what you will not do. Sometimes people commit to volunteering in their communities more, reading their bibles, practicing more patience with others and our families, praying with their families etc. I like how you described it as a time of reflection and repentance and spiritual discipline. Certainly dietary changes are appropriate as your body is a temple. In our church people who observe Lent are strongly encouraged to keep their commitments (or even whether or not they are actively observing Lent) to themselves. That being said, I do not actively observe Lent.

As human centered activities go, all the above are good ones. I'm giving up figuring I can keep mud off the porch. Isn't lent how Mardi Gras in New Orleans, and Karneval in Rio de Janeiro and Cologne got their origins? And then there's all that splurging at the end!

angie":26g4glzd said:
In our church (Lutheran) it is more a positive change as opposed to giving something up, but maybe the change IS giving something up. The focus is more on what you will do, I think, rather than what you will not do. Sometimes people commit to volunteering in their communities more, reading their bibles, practicing more patience with others and our families, praying with their families etc. I like how you described it as a time of reflection and repentance and spiritual discipline. Certainly dietary changes are appropriate as your body is a temple. In our church people who observe Lent are strongly encouraged to keep their commitments (or even whether or not they are actively observing Lent) to themselves. That being said, I do not actively observe Lent.

You heathen !!!!! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :hide:

TexasBred":29t2hf9e said:
You heathen !!!!! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :hide:
:lol2: Sad but true. I used to try (swearing at other drivers most frequent behavior change :help: ), but I was never successful, and it feels like a bigger sin when I do it after commiting not to so I just quit committing so I didn't have to feel as bad about it. :roll:

I was raised Catholic but left the Church about 30 years ago. Haven't actively observed Lenten practices since. I still have a reverence for the period, but make no special commitments during the Lent. I wasn't aware that there are other Christian branches that observe Lent. That surprised me a bit.

CottageFarm":260eyuen said:
I was raised Catholic but left the Church about 30 years ago. Haven't actively observed Lenten practices since. I still have a reverence for the period, but make no special commitments during the Lent. I wasn't aware that there are other Christian branches that observe Lent. That surprised me a bit.
Cottage,
I was raised a Methodist and that has been the only church that I have ever belonged to... Lent and the preparation for Easter has always been a big part of our church.

Brian

TN Cattle Man":33sa2coa said:
J&D Cattle":33sa2coa said:
Methodist here too.
Seems like here in the South, the majority of churches are either Methodist or Southern Baptist!

I don't imagine the Southern Baptist's would put up with me very long. :)

Lots of country Baptist churches around here. Seems like one down every county road.

Latest posts