What are you eating today?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cooked up some Saint Louis pork spare ribs the other day. They turned great. I normally don't really care for pork, but these were the best I have ever had.

Start with 1 pork belly.

We just butchered 2 hogs and this one was a Mangalista, which has an incredible amount of fat!

Rub with #1 curing salt, maple syrup, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Important to get the right amount of ingredients per pound !

Put in Ziploc bags.... in a Tupperware in case it leaks .

Cure it for 7 Days in the refrigerator

Turn once every day and move liquid around slab. (It creates its own liquid )

Remove from bag and rinse off. Some people will leave it air dry in the refrigerator for one day .... I don't think it's necessary I just pat mine dry with paper towels

Smoke on indirect heat @ 200 until 150 in center. About 2-3 hrs. I used applewood.

Let it cool, vacuum pack and freeze or will stay good in refrigerator for a few weeks. Then slice off and fry as usual there will be no water come off of this like normal retail bacon that is wet cured or "pumped".

Also need to cook at a lower temp or the sugars will caramelize too quick and burn.

Warning ⚠️ you'll never want to eat retail bacon again.

Thanks!
Important to get the right amount of ingredients per pound ! Could you elaborate?
I'm going to see if I can find some pork belly. This looks and sounds amazing.
Got a 3 day snow storm coming. This will give me something to do.

Latest posts