What are we becoming?

Help Support CattleToday:

My son is 16, we did several hay jobs this year and everyone commented to me how hard of a worker he was-a real go getter attitude-have to admit I had that proud moment. Its not all kids that are lazy.

GMN

dun":67pgqqx7 said:
Friend of mine owns a logging company. He says that when he needs a new crew he has to hire 2 full crews and usually almost one full crew will show up for work. Pretty pathetic work ethic if you ask me.

Logging is very hard work and dangerous too, its definetley not for wimps,or guys who have no muscles-I've known a few loggers and allof them were very hard workers.

GMN

My 13 yo son took over the culivating from me this year. Didn't have to nag him at all. Get himself up, make his own luch. Grease the tractor and culivator and he was in the field til after dark.
Some people have a good work ethic and some do not. I was always taught to get to a job 10 minutes before you are suppose to be there and leave 10 minutes after you are suppose to be done.

I hired a young man today to help me get caught up on some things that are difficult for me to do. I needed a ditch dug about eight foot long and 2 foot deep so I could tap into an exhisting water supply line. As directed, this young man called me this morning at 6am to verify that we could work today. He showed up at 7am and Kathy had his breakfast on the table. He was surprised as no one had ever hired him and fed him aswell. He was one of the kindest young man I can recall ever meeting. He went right to work and completed the task. He had torn his jeans and was embarassed. Next I had him clean our gutters on the house, which he did cheerfully without any complaints. Not once did he ask what his pay would be, he worked about five hours and refused lunch so Kathy made him a nice bagged meal to go. I asked him what I owed him and he replied, nothing you fed me. I gave him $60.00 and told him to come back Monday morning if he wanted to work more. Hope he comes back as Kathy went through our late sons stored clothing and found lots of nice things for him to wear. It makes our hearts happy to know that we met a kind young man in need and were able to help him. God bless America and all our Children.
Tom.

Great story, Kerley. Just shows that all is not lost.

I know this doesn't really apply because it happened almost 40 years ago but I'll never forget something that happened one summer up on my aunt and uncle's farm. After the morning milking we went in for breakfast as always. After my aunt got the food on the table she went into a seldom used bedroom on the first floor and I heard her talking to someone. A few minutes later a young black man appeared and sat down at the table. I can't imagine the look on my face. Didn't see many blacks in that area to begin with, and I had no idea who he was or where he'd come from.
Turns out he had been walking along Route 45 the night before and sometime after I'd gone to bed knocked on the door and asked if he could sleep in the barn because it was raining. I remember the dogs going off but didn't think much about it at the time. My aunt said he could sleep in one of the spare bedrooms. At breakfast he apoligized for oversleeping and asked if there was any work he could do to pay for the bed and meal. He helped us unload four loads of hay we had pulled in the barns the night before and helped me clean the calf pens. Didn't say much but I remember his name was Jim. Never did say where he was from or where he was going.
My aunt fed him lunch and gave him some money and he went on his way. Never saw him or heard from him again. I remember him whistling "Nothing Could be Finer Than To Be In Carolina" while he worked so every time I hear that song I think of that time. I hope he's had a good life.

VanC":pc0j6zyy said:

I know this doesn't really apply because it happened almost 40 years ago but I'll never forget something that happened one summer up on my aunt and uncle's farm. After the morning milking we went in for breakfast as always. After my aunt got the food on the table she went into a seldom used bedroom on the first floor and I heard her talking to someone. A few minutes later a young black man appeared and sat down at the table. I can't imagine the look on my face. Didn't see many blacks in that area to begin with, and I had no idea who he was or where he'd come from.
Turns out he had been walking along Route 45 the night before and sometime after I'd gone to bed knocked on the door and asked if he could sleep in the barn because it was raining. I remember the dogs going off but didn't think much about it at the time. My aunt said he could sleep in one of the spare bedrooms. At breakfast he apoligized for oversleeping and asked if there was any work he could do to pay for the bed and meal. He helped us unload four loads of hay we had pulled in the barns the night before and helped me clean the calf pens. Didn't say much but I remember his name was Jim. Never did say where he was from or where he was going.
My aunt fed him lunch and gave him some money and he went on his way. Never saw him or heard from him again. I remember him whistling "Nothing Could be Finer Than To Be In Carolina" while he worked so every time I hear that song I think of that time. I hope he's had a good life.

Powerful post. (In many ways)

I like your new signature line. Good message there also.

VanC":2mi6q7pv said:

Thats another good story. Every time I see a homeless man on a road with a sign I tell Kathy "There's another retired drywall contractor"~Tom

3waycross":1fcjv91k said:
VanC":1fcjv91k said:

Powerful post. (In many ways)

I like your new signature line. Good message there also.

Been feeling a little nostalgic this weekend, in a good way.

I like the quote in my signature, too. Haven't got a clue who William Cowper is, though. :lol2: Some things can never be compromised, but if a man that's lived 50+ years still thinks the same as he did when he was much younger then he hasn't done much thinking. At least that's my opinion. Experience and living life changes a lot of things over the years. Someone who goes through life like it was a horse race, with blinders on and a fast beeline to the finish, hasn't lived very well in my book.

BTW, the signature has been up there for awhile so I reckon it's about time for a change. Maybe something a little more humorous this time. I'll shut up now. :tiphat:

VanC":gn0ls9bl said:
BTW, the signature has been up there for awhile so I reckon it's about time for a change. Maybe something a little more humorous this time. I'll shut up now. :tiphat:

I'm considering a new signature myself--I'm thinking "Warren Buffet".

kerley":2pi9kc5m said:
I hired a young man today to help me get caught up on some things that are difficult for me to do. I needed a ditch dug about eight foot long and 2 foot deep so I could tap into an exhisting water supply line. As directed, this young man called me this morning at 6am to verify that we could work today. He showed up at 7am and Kathy had his breakfast on the table. He was surprised as no one had ever hired him and fed him aswell. He was one of the kindest young man I can recall ever meeting. He went right to work and completed the task. He had torn his jeans and was embarassed. Next I had him clean our gutters on the house, which he did cheerfully without any complaints. Not once did he ask what his pay would be, he worked about five hours and refused lunch so Kathy made him a nice bagged meal to go. I asked him what I owed him and he replied, nothing you fed me. I gave him $60.00 and told him to come back Monday morning if he wanted to work more. Hope he comes back as Kathy went through our late sons stored clothing and found lots of nice things for him to wear. It makes our hearts happy to know that we met a kind young man in need and were able to help him. God bless America and all our Children.
Tom.

This one is a keeper for sure!

I had something happen last week that made me feel good about one of the guys that work for me. About fifteen years ago I hired a fella cause I knew he was honest and a hard worker. He has been a wonderful asset and has always been willing to do whatever it took to get the job done without ever griping. Along with the job I also furnished him a truck since we don't exactly go into the office each day. Over the last few weeks his truck has been acting up and the mechanics can't seem to pin down the problem. Replaced sensors and the computer and the truck still intermittantly goes on the blink. I suggested buying a new one but he said he knew a mechanic that he thought could fix it. He worked on it and it got better but started acting up again and his down time was really starting to cost us so he finally threw his hands up and accepted my offer to buy him a new truck. The way he approached me is what really made me think all the more highly of him. In a bashful sort of way he approached me and asked if I would still be willing to buy a new truck cause he couldn't get this one sorted out. Apparantly he understands these last few years haven't been the best in the world and this is not the best time to have to buy a new truck so he offered to pay for half of it out of his paycheck. I declined but he said it didn't seem fair to me. I declined and bought a new truck last Monday for him.

Now if I could find about three more guys like him there no telling what we could do but unfortunately he is an exception. So many people want the check but not the responsibility or the work and this is probably why he has a brand new brick house and a new farm and the others don't.

Jogeephus":2xpd6frk said:
I had something happen last week that made me feel good about one of the guys that work for me. About fifteen years ago I hired a fella cause I knew he was honest and a hard worker. He has been a wonderful asset and has always been willing to do whatever it took to get the job done without ever griping. Along with the job I also furnished him a truck since we don't exactly go into the office each day. Over the last few weeks his truck has been acting up and the mechanics can't seem to pin down the problem. Replaced sensors and the computer and the truck still intermittantly goes on the blink. I suggested buying a new one but he said he knew a mechanic that he thought could fix it. He worked on it and it got better but started acting up again and his down time was really starting to cost us so he finally threw his hands up and accepted my offer to buy him a new truck. The way he approached me is what really made me think all the more highly of him. In a bashful sort of way he approached me and asked if I would still be willing to buy a new truck cause he couldn't get this one sorted out. Apparantly he understands these last few years haven't been the best in the world and this is not the best time to have to buy a new truck so he offered to pay for half of it out of his paycheck. I declined but he said it didn't seem fair to me. I declined and bought a new truck last Monday for him.

Now if I could find about three more guys like him there no telling what we could do but unfortunately he is an exception. So many people want the check but not the responsibility or the work and this is probably why he has a brand new brick house and a new farm and the others don't.

A good case for cloning.

I just wanted to say it took me working on a ranch to teach me good work ethic. My parent's were gone a lot when I was young and I was in charge most of the time and had to take care of my younger brother and sister. I didn't have a regular job until I was 18. I didn't know what I wanted to do and didn't have money for college so I applied to pretty much every job I could. There was a job for a ranch hand and I met the owners and got a tour of the place. Others had applied as well and they ended up hiring someone else because he had more experience. He was in his early 40s. Well two weeks later they called me and told me that he stopped showing up for work and they needed someone. I started work there the next day.

I learned a lot over the 8 years I worked there and feel it really changed me. I owe my old boss a lot and still do work for them for free sometimes because they are having trouble financially. She has cancer and he is getting on in years and also has his vet practice to deal with. I work for free cause I feel I owe them for teaching me to be a man, not complain, and to be a hard worker. And I love a good days work as currently I'm working at a gas station, which isn't tough work at all. They have given up ranching because of economic issues but have a lot of property that needs maintained so I help where I can.

BorderC":lhb9zb9t said:
I just wanted to say it took me working on a ranch to teach me good work ethic. My parent's were gone a lot when I was young and I was in charge most of the time and had to take care of my younger brother and sister. I didn't have a regular job until I was 18. I didn't know what I wanted to do and didn't have money for college so I applied to pretty much every job I could. There was a job for a ranch hand and I met the owners and got a tour of the place. Others had applied as well and they ended up hiring someone else because he had more experience. He was in his early 40s. Well two weeks later they called me and told me that he stopped showing up for work and they needed someone. I started work there the next day.

I learned a lot over the 8 years I worked there and feel it really changed me. I owe my old boss a lot and still do work for them for free sometimes because they are having trouble financially. She has cancer and he is getting on in years and also has his vet practice to deal with. I work for free cause I feel I owe them for teaching me to be a man, not complain, and to be a hard worker. And I love a good days work as currently I'm working at a gas station, which isn't tough work at all. They have given up ranching because of economic issues but have a lot of property that needs maintained so I help where I can.

You are a good person, a little kindness goes a long way! :)

Work ethic, education and upbringing are important but I think it starts with God. Everything starts with God. When I worked as a manager I could expect to fire half the number of people I hired. It was just how it was and now it is worse. However, I hired a kid last year to completely clean out my barns last year, my back was giving me trouble so I got him in. I was paying by the job not the hour. He took forever, I didn't think he would get done, finally I went to have a look at what he was doing. That barn floor was spotless, you could eat off it. This kid worked hard. I gave him a bonus at the end of the day I was so impressed. The other good workers we had down here were a couple of kids we hired after the floods to help pick up garbage, tons (literally) of garbage that had washed in. They always had a smile on their face and anything of any value they saved to bring to us instead of throwing out. Maybe it is a coincidence that all three of these kids came from good Christian homes but I don't think so.

I'll tell you what, do a 4 day 3 night canoe trip with some kids and you will find out who the workers are and who the do nothings are pretty darn fast.
A few were ranch/farm kids and the rest were mainly town kids.

In the end we had 4 girls that could almost out work all the boys except for one.

Had to keep telling them to unload things. Got on one kid about helping out. We were unloading the canoes and he was standing there doing nothing. I told him to start getting the water jugs out, they were all empty except for 2, and he walks by me carrying 1 empty jug. :devil2:
Told him he has 2 hands and he could carry more then that.
He was in my canoe one day. Told him he had better paddle or I was going to throw him into the river in the deepest spot I could find.
He wanted to steer so I let him have the back, couldn't figure out why we were not moving forward very well.
Turns out he was back paddling while I was forward paddling. :roll: :mad:
We switched.
Just glad that was the only day he rode in my canoe.

Got told by another girl that this one girl had never been camping outdoors before and I was worried about her. That girl out worked them all.

The one boy we did not have to bug all the time to do something was always there carrying the heavy coolers and boxes, carrying canoes and dry bags. That boy is not afraid of work and will go places. I can hardly wait to see how he does in his life. :D

One of my daughters friends started hanging out here alot(she liked riding horses)
She couldn't/wouldn't do ANYTHING. When I made it be something that HAD to be done before any fun stuff she dragged her feet grumbled and dumped most of it on my daughter(which made her feel bad).
Had a talk with her one day and said work was going to be done and she was asking for getting the worst jobs assigned to her. She thought I was joking........... only took one day for her to start volunteering :)

Luckily when she complained to her Dad, he backed me up and decided it was a good method for him to use too. Not to mention she got a whippin for having given me grief.
She is a great help now and I think it makes her feel good too.