What are they?

Help Support CattleToday:

Texasmark

Reaction score
Ok, this is Cattle Today Site....these are cattle????
Breeds board.....curious as to the breed????
Was down in beef country today, (Emory, TX.) and saw half a dozen "things in a guys front yard. Look to weigh 1800 give or take a couple hundred, looked like very well fed cattle, were all black with a very large white saddle consuming most of the mid section. All were marked exactly alike. Never saw such a thing.

Any ideas?

They say their meat is is some of the best, great marbling...course there's marketing them,,folks tend to think its a hobby breed..and that all the breeders wear sandals and have ponytails....

Belted Galloways do get big, just depends on the bloodlines. Sounds like a belted Galloway more than a Dutch Belted tho it's possible they're Buelingos.

Belted Galloway if they were a beefy built animal, and some bloodlines do get big. Have a thicker type coat of hair, often curly. They have a double haircoat which makes them very good in the cold. They come in a couple of colors, black, red, dun, both belted and solid.
If it was a much finer boned, statuesque type of cow with alot more udder then a Dutch Belted. They normally get about 14-1600 at full maturity, but again it depends on the bloodline. Good milkers, good on grazing dairies.

ALACOWMAN":2oydruzu said:
They say their meat is is some of the best, great marbling...course there's marketing them,,folks tend to think its a hobby breed..and that all the breeders wear sandals and have ponytails....

they spool up the ponytails nowadays I believe...correct nomenclature=manbuns.

They ran a handful of heavy bred young bellies through the sale at lampasas Wednesday. I think they sold for around 700.00
I mean they were nice young well conditioned cows 8 months bred. I don't know why nobody liked them. I had to sit on my hands.

callmefence":1bvkgaio said:
They ran a handful of heavy bred young bellies through the sale at lampasas Wednesday. I think they sold for around 700.00
I mean they were nice young well conditioned cows 8 months bred. I don't know why nobody liked them. I had to sit on my hands.

I don't have any experience with them, but I've heard it's harder to breed that color pattern out than it is to breed spots off of Longhorns.

callmefence":7ocml3yc said:
Most cattlemen ""Here'' would be afraid of just what you seen.taking a hit on them..personally I wouldnt mind having some to cross with.. If I could breed that belt out of em,, it's like trying to tone down the Brahman Influence...it just keeps going, and going and going.....

You can breed the belt out. We have several Angus x Beltie cows that are solid black. You won't get a solid black one on first generation but can get solid calves on second generation. After F1, it's usually 50% chance of getting solid calf and 50% chance of getting a belted calf....no different from skunktails or whiteface.

Rafter S":1gc1p5ls said:
callmefence":1gc1p5ls said:

I don't have any experience with them, but I've heard it's harder to breed that color pattern out than it is to breed spots off of Longhorns.
I heard the same thing from a dairyman. He used a Dutch belted bull one year and a coouple of generations later he was still getting belts occasionally. Maybe the spotting gene in Holsteins augments it.

dun":1kue0yij said:
Rafter S":1kue0yij said:
callmefence":1kue0yij said:

I heard the same thing from a dairyman. He used a Dutch belted bull one year and a coouple of generations later he was still getting belts occasionally. Maybe the spotting gene in Holsteins augments it.
It's easy to hide a belt marking in the Holsteins spot pattern. It's not hard to breed belts out than breed spots off of longhorns.

Latest posts