What are they?

Help Support CattleToday:

do belts come red and white?
Several years ago when I worked on a kill floor you had to catch a vile of blood from bulls and put it in a bag with any ear tags and sale tags. The government vet/inspector that was on site took care of all that he also had to write what breed of bull it was. One day we killed a bull that looked like a belted but it was red and white. He ask me what I thought it was and I said looks like a R/W belted but that I did not know if they came in R/W. He said they did and that was what it was but if they do I have never seen another one like him, but there is not to many belts around where I am from.

slick4591":sntlgs90 said:
If you saw those on 69 going out of Greenville to Emory they were the Belted Galloway.

I did. Went down to Emory to pick up my right rear cab window on my Branson 6530, compliments of a rock tossed by my drum mower. While there spent some time in Hootens picking up some hardware to attach my cobbled up shield I'm putting on the front of the mower to keep the rocks away from the cab.....first time it was the door, 7ish years ago, $640 and now this, $300. Nuf is nuf.

I told the sales clerk I could spend a week in his store. Really a comprehensive retailer.

Thanks for the replies all you guys. I'll do a google and find about them; idle curiousity.

Muddy":p73t1ljg said:

Yepper, that's them except the belt was foreleg to hind leg. As I read herein, depends on the breeding.

So you get them for milking qualities, cold weather survival and efficient managers of poor diets.....stressed non-improved pasture.

I had some small frame ⅜-⅝ Brangus cows like that. Dropped me a calf every 11-12 months for many years and stayed fat as a hog when others pin bones were punching through the hide on the same pasture.

BRYANT":39df7gyj said:
Several years ago when I worked on a kill floor you had to catch a vile of blood from bulls and put it in a bag with any ear tags and sale tags. The government vet/inspector that was on site took care of all that he also had to write what breed of bull it was. One day we killed a bull that looked like a belted but it was red and white. He ask me what I thought it was and I said looks like a R/W belted but that I did not know if they came in R/W. He said they did and that was what it was but if they do I have never seen another one like him, but there is not to many belts around where I am from.
They do come in both red/white and black/white.

M.Magis":306t567a said:
Getting the occasional solid calf isn't breeding the belt out.
Do you raised the belties? If not, then I got more solid calves out of the beltie cows than belted calves. I typically got two belted calves per year out of what, 13 belted cows? I use black Angus bulls on the beltie cows.

BRYANT":ajo2zo14 said:
Yes they do come in red. There are three different colors of belted Galloway. Black, red and dun.

Muddy":3bxyh6hr said:
M.Magis":3bxyh6hr said:
Do you raised the belties? If not, then I got more solid calves out of the beltie cows than belted calves. I typically got two belted calves per year out of what, 13 belted cows? I use black Angus bulls on the beltie cows.
But you also get belted calves out of solid cows, so the belt is not "bred out". Its still in the woodpile and likes to be seen. And from your pictures in the past, I thought I remembered a fair number of belted calves.

M.Magis":1a1ub6df said:
Muddy":1a1ub6df said:
M.Magis":1a1ub6df said:
But you also get belted calves out of solid cows, so the belt is not "bred out". Its still in the woodpile and likes to be seen. And from your pictures in the past, I thought I remembered a fair number of belted calves.
No you cannot get a belted calf out of a solid cow, it's impossible unless they're bred to a belted bull or that cow has a really small quarter sized belt spot. Yes I have belted calves but I usually have 1-3 belted calves per year tho we had gone two years without any belted calves in the past. The belted calves we have, are always out of belted cows, not solid cows.

Muddy":3pnh3han said:
M.Magis":3pnh3han said:
Muddy":3pnh3han said:
No you cannot get a belted calf out of a solid cow, it's impossible unless they're bred to a belted bull or that cow has a really small quarter sized belt spot. Yes I have belted calves but I usually have 1-3 belted calves per year tho we had gone two years without any belted calves in the past. The belted calves we have, are always out of belted cows, not solid cows.

my neighbor has two cows that are half galloway and half angus. one of them has a belt and the other has a small white spot about the size of a silver dollar.
The belted one has had two belted calves now.
the non belted one had a red calf by a red angus bull last year.
this year that same cow had a black and white belted calf when bred to a red angus bull. in fact her calf had a better belt than the belted cows calf.

That cow with small spot, would be partial belted, we had two cows with tiny quarter sized spots on mid section and they had full belted calves. We also have few full black cows with no white hair, never had any belted calves.

Latest posts