What are bred heifers worth??

All Calving in February and March
AI bred low birth weight Angus bulls
good quality
Vet checked

Registered Angus with good bloodline?

F1 registered parents?

Commercial?

Just trying to see what you all think a bred heifer is worth with today's cattle prices. How do you all set your top price for a commercial herd. Example 3 calf prices to pay for one heifer?

There was a special sale at my local sale a couple weeks ago. $1650-$1850 on brangus baldies, $1450-$1550 on solid colored black and red Angus, and $1250-1400 on crossbred heifers. I figure a heifer is worth 2 calves, with good calves bringing $600-$700 today :2cents:

How many did you buy? :D I was wanting to go, but hauled some cows to Farmington and couldn't get back in time. How did they do?

I would still hold to my 3 calf guide for good heifers. This would be good genetic heifers, registered, lbw registered bull, ns. A little more for really good ai'd heifers I think?

talltimber":3a4h3alu said:
How many did you buy? :D I was wanting to go, but hauled some cows to Farmington and couldn't get back in time. How did they do?

I would still hold to my 3 calf guide for good heifers. This would be good genetic heifers, registered, lbw registered bull, ns. A little more for really good ai'd heifers I think?

Zero!!!!
I just couldn't pencil out most of the prices. That's why I'm asking. Do I need to sharpen my pencil or is money no big deal for quality?

With a 3 calf guide you could have bought some.
The average was $1950

RiverHills":1z9u3gnp said:
talltimber":1z9u3gnp said:

Zero!!!!
I just couldn't pencil out most of the prices. That's why I'm asking. Do I need to sharpen my pencil or is money no big deal for quality?

With a 3 calf guide you could have bought some.
The average was $1950

That average is quite a bit higher than the Farmington sale at the end of October. Was the quality that much better or do you think people were wanting to pick some up before year end and the demand was better?

talltimber":3luwi996 said:

I went to the Farmington sale for a few hours. Didn't get anything bought, but felt prices were decent for the sellers on what I had seen sell. How did yours do?

I would have accepted less but I was hoping for more. There is another thread on it. 1275/hd for three big black cows, averaging 1693 lbs, and as far as I know right now, should have been two in third stage and one in the second.

RiverHills":2qri4p5n said:
How do you all set your top price for a commercial herd.
I am not comfortable using a calf multiple. Your costs are not the same as mine, and sometimes calf prices go up and down rapidly... In theory - - we would all be doing a NPV calculation using our carefully compiled costs. Not many of us are that brave.

Even without that -- you can quickly see that heifers are over priced in many markets. Look first at the kill market, and then at what solid mouth red cows are selling for. Then add up to $150 if they are F1s.

I have seen some small groups of bred heifers selling for $750 to $800, but you need to be careful with that kind. Some sorting may be required. You will want to have some lute when they go through the chute.

RiverHills":1u96ccqm said:
I just couldn't pencil out most of the prices. That's why I'm asking.

Some buyers have free grass and free labor and a free pickup. It is hard to bid against buyers with this level of book keeping skill.

I have a neighbor like that. He is buying fancy heifers because they look nice and he can raise a calf for less than U$S 300. :lol2:

Stocker Steve":3w22ze2v said:
RiverHills":3w22ze2v said:
I just couldn't pencil out most of the prices. That's why I'm asking.

Some buyers have free grass and free labor and a free pickup. It is hard to bid against buyers with this level of book keeping skill.

I have a neighbor like that. He is buying fancy heifers because they look nice and he can raise a calf for less than U$S 300. :lol2:
Lol A fool and his money are soon separated

RanchMan90":a2gtk7ir said:

He does not understand why everyone is not expanding a fast as possible??? His wife is pretty sharp, and has him on a heifer budget.

An opportunity here would be to sell overpriced heifers. :idea:

Stocker Steve":g58fo9fk said:
RanchMan90":g58fo9fk said:

His wife has a good job, and she has him on a heifer budget.
Haha Not trying to make a living off them helps too. My wife has a good job, but I don't even get a sheep budget. As long as she stays out of my pockets I'm happy :)

RanchMan90":16fepwl5 said:
Haha Not trying to make a living off them helps too. My wife has a good job, but I don't even get a sheep budget. As long as she stays out of my pockets I'm happy :)

Strong hobby ranch wives are all that stand between us and 80 cent fats.

Stocker Steve":3q15c59l said:
RanchMan90":3q15c59l said:

Strong hobby ranch wives are all that stand between us and 80 cent fats.

A friend of a friend (single and in his 60s) was once describing his ideal woman. His description started off like this...

"Long fluffy hair and a good job at the courthouse, ..."

Still makes me chuckle!

Latest posts