What are the typical guns of the modern American cowboy?

Help Support CattleToday:

Oh, if I were a ranch owner or farmer, I'd have a shiny new well-waxed Toyota Tacoma or Tundra. Preferably Hot Red paint kept garaged. No shoddy "cowboy looking" stuff on my fantasy ranch. COWBOY is a pejorative for half-ass workmanship or haphazard ways. The old dame in Wizard of Oz kept her farm hands energized with homemade corn fritters was it? That Dorothy and that little rat mutt (no real farm dog like a German Shepherd or collie) just kept getting in the way. A farmer needs a daughter like a bull needs tits.

Sometimes things get a little western on the ranch and you need a good cowboy to rein it in. Ranches cost allot to run and cowboys come up with some pretty crafty solutions to make things work too.
Did you watch the season opener of The Ultimate Cowboy Thursday night?

I'm not just talking about Cowboy Action shooters, I mean rootin-tootin working cowboys on the spread and in the range. Back in the real Old West (about 1865-1895) it was the likes of the Colt Peacemaker in .45 Colt, the Remington 1875 and the Winchester 1873 lever gun maybe in .44-40 as well as the Sharps buffalo gun in .45-70 Govt. and the Colt coach gun in maybe 10-ga. This is what I think of whenever somebody says "cowboy guns". Do American cowboys still carry the same shootin' irons in the saddle today, do they use modern reproductions of Old West guns or do they carry entirely modern firearms?

Cowboys once had to fight Indians, robbers or rustlers. They had to deal with card cheats. They had to fight gunslingers. They had to protect stock from predators and stray hound dogs. They had to put down wounded animals. They hunted game on long drives. They need to control pests on the ranch. Snakes are always a threat. There is still the possibility of rustlers today. The West can still be wild in some parts. I've driven through the deserts of Southern Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and SoCal lately. I know how rough it is. Like a branding iron or a hay fork, I can't imagine any American rancher, farmer or sheepman without at least one gun as a tool of the trade.
Just one of a dozen or so that I might carry, might not.

Attachments

• 41Magnum.jpg
    41Magnum.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 5
My place is small enough I don't carry daily.. For a rifle, I bought my friends Husqvarna 6.5x55 Swedish that's nice and light and will do anything that needs doing around here, it's easier on my bad shoulder than the 308.. expensive ammo though, but the rifle was cheap..

Got a 7mm Rem mag wtih a 6-16x 50mm scope, an SKS if I need to do the spray and pray method. Most used rifle is my old single shot Cooey .22 with a 3-9x scope that thing has had 1000's of rounds through it and it drives tacks, taken tons of starlings down, but it's taken bear too.
For pistols, I have a Tokarev 7.62x25, nothing fancy but it's cheap and makes holes, treated myself to an American Arms stainless 22/22 mag revolver with a 6" barrel (regulations here)... real easy to carry
1650777311557.png

I always carry in remote areas as in the woods. Never know what boogerman might show up. Always have a good K9 for comfort out there too. If I owned a ranch, dairy or farm, I would have big German shepherds around always for extra security. See that black fellow in my pfp. My spread would be completely enclosed by galvanized barbed wire. I'd give electric fencing some consideration too.

Oh, if I were a ranch owner or farmer, I'd have a shiny new well-waxed Toyota Tacoma or Tundra. Preferably Hot Red paint kept garaged. No shoddy "cowboy looking" stuff on my fantasy ranch. COWBOY is a pejorative for half-ass workmanship or haphazard ways. The old dame in Wizard of Oz kept her farm hands energized with homemade corn fritters was it? That Dorothy and that little rat mutt (no real farm dog like a German Shepherd or collie) just kept getting in the way. A farmer needs a daughter like a bull needs tits.
You are going to have a ranch with a "garage" to park in? Boy you are really dreaming now.

As for the daughter idea. There was a pretty sharp looking young lady at the branding I attended on Friday who is probably a better hand than 90% of the guys on here (no offense to the guys, she is just that good). I am going to a branding this afternoon where there will be another young lady who is handier than pockets on a shirt.

Real ranchers drive beat up flatbeds to work or the wife's car to town.
Hobby ranchers drive Platinum's,and king ranch.
Cowboys drive whatever the boss let's em drive.
Order buyers drive Lincoln town cars.

This whole thread is starting to remind me of someone :unsure:. Hmmm, 🤷‍♀️ but I thought she got into her Chevy and rode off into the sunset.🤡🤡🤡

Real ranchers drive beat up flatbeds to work or the wife's car to town.
Hobby ranchers drive Platinum's,and king ranch.
Cowboys drive whatever the boss let's em drive.
Order buyers drive Lincoln town cars.
Who said a rancher (or even a farmer) had to have a wife to begin with? Don't you know any bachelor ag men? It's true that some ag men think their family members are their indentured servants.

Latest posts