What are the odds?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I am at the mercy of some really nice people to AI a few of my cows. They are super nice people and have done well with their cattle. They AI everything, and they use a method that I can't recall reading that much about here. So I need some input.
They lutalyse their cattle the first time and wait ten days. They give another shot on the tenth day and AI them exactly 80 hours after the second shot. How accurate is this method?

I have heard of something close to this. When I am at the mercy of someone breeding my cows, we give a shot of lutalyse and heat detect and then 10 days later give her another shot and breed on standing heat. I "think" what they are trying to do is make sure that all the cows come in heat on the second shot. Lutalyse will not work if a cow has been in heat the previous 10 days. Are you sure they are giving the first shot of lutalyse and not something else (implant to keep them from coming into heat). I am not a big fan of a straight timed breeding but I know if we AIed more cows that is the way we would have to do it from a labor point of view.

jerry, You have the mind of an elephant! :lol: When we bought the heifers, we were given two straws with each heifer. So we thought we might as well get some more women in for the young bull, hoping that the heifers have one more group of young ladies. They both had heifers this year. I wonder what the odds are it happening again? We are gonna gamble on it anyway. They gave us two straws of Connection and four straws of Sydgen Focus.
We are going to turn a couple of our commercial cows in with the bull since he is still young. Then next year, we will sock it to him! :shock:

jscunn, We have two cows and one heifer to breed. The man told us to get a bottle of lutalyse and give two shots 10 days apart and breed on the 80th hour. When you say heat detect, is that a brand of something or are you talking about the pads that go on top of the tail? If this man is doing it, I will have to go along with his program until I can do it myself. I hope to get three more heifers out of the group.

jscunn, I will go ahead and glue the Kamar pads in place after the second shot. Maybe I can head off a dud before it happens. I was going to try to place the 80th hour where it would come up on a Saturday afternoon. That way if it were to swing several hours one way or another, we still could get it done. I will tell the gentleman what I am doing.
I ran a search on all the posts on this forum and did not see this method listed. He says he has always done it this way. He always has a pasture full of calves, and he doesn't run a bull.
How many days do you hold your bull out of the pasture with the cows after then have been AI'ed. I do want the bull to catch the next time they come in if we missed it. Next time I do this, I will be relying on myself and I can choose the method. I try to go by two rules.
1. If I don't have it, I don't need it.
2. If I can't do it, then it doesn't need to be done.
I don't mind helping someone else, and I don't mind loaning some things out to certain people. If I do, then I go along with what ever they want.
Some people can tear up everything they touch. These rules keep friends from running when I pull up in their driveway. I' ve heard rules are made to be broken. Don't seem right when it's your own.

First of all Congrats on the 2 heifers!! I hope we are that lucky. Second what I am about to tell you is what I have heard second hand from more than one AI Tech. Lets suppose that one of your heifers came in heat 14 days ago and the other 5 days ago. When you give the first shot of lutalyse the first heifer (#1) will come in heat. The second heifer (#2) will not. Ten days later you give the second shot, #2 will come in heat and #1 will not. The reason #1 will not is because Lutalyse is not suppose to work if the cow/heifer was been in heat in the past 10 days.
On the bull we wait a week to 10 days. You can always pull blood if there is a question.

jscunn":3ehtzytp said:
First of all Congrats on the 2 heifers!! I hope we are that lucky. Second what I am about to tell you is what I have heard second hand from more than one AI Tech. Lets suppose that one of your heifers came in heat 14 days ago and the other 5 days ago. When you give the first shot of lutalyse the first heifer (#1) will come in heat. The second heifer (#2) will not. Ten days later you give the second shot, #2 will come in heat and #1 will not. The reason #1 will not is because Lutalyse is not suppose to work if the cow/heifer was been in heat in the past 10 days.
On the bull we wait a week to 10 days. You can always pull blood if there is a question.
The cow that came in the first time will come in again. You can give lut 7 days after they cycle and they will come in again. That is why you wait 10 days from the first shot to give the second.

Thanks I had always heard 10 days. That makes sense to me now Chuckie. See what WE learn if you ask the right questions.

Thanks jscunn and Tod! How I wish I had gone to A.I. school this spring. One of us is going to go this year.
jscunn, you've been laying low. Glad to see you jumping back in again!

Latest posts