what are the chances this could be legit?

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I put a ad on craigs list for our boat to sell, and this guy emailed me siad he was interested, the first time, so I emailed him back and said he could come out and look at it on the weekend. He emailed me back, and said consider it sold, he wants to buy it for his Dad, but he is on a ship offshore most of the time. he would pay me with paypal, and even put a $100 down for me to hold it for him. He would send his agent to come and pick it up. I'm wondering, I sell on ebay, use paypal, but this would be for a much larger amount, is it safe or is there a way for him to pay then somehow, start a dispute or cancel the payment? Sounds too good to be true, but would be easy if it was-has anyone ever paid for larger items via paypal-any problems, or could this guy be legit?

Thanks

GMN":1yqljl07 said:
I put a ad on craigs list for our boat to sell, and this guy emailed me siad he was interested, the first time, so I emailed him back and said he could come out and look at it on the weekend. He emailed me back, and said consider it sold, he wants to buy it for his Dad, but he is on a ship offshore most of the time. he would pay me with paypal, and even put a $100 down for me to hold it for him. He would send his agent to come and pick it up. I'm wondering, I sell on ebay, use paypal, but this would be for a much larger amount, is it safe or is there a way for him to pay then somehow, start a dispute or cancel the payment? Sounds too good to be true, but would be easy if it was-has anyone ever paid for larger items via paypal-any problems, or could this guy be legit?

Thanks

Tell him to send his "agent" with the cash and see how quick he runs

I've been selling my kitchen equipment on CL and had to stop allowing emails because of all the scams. Now it's either call or text me. That's stopped the scammers and brought out the real people wanting to buy.

thats what I told him is to have his agent come with cash-whatever a agent even is?

One thing I should add is when you include your phone number spell out some of the numbers. (nine72-six58-0six-4six) That prevents the bots from picking up your number to sell it.

Tar and feathers come to mind. You'd be surprised at folks who get scammed. Some elderly folks get embarrassed and don't say a thing.

There was a company in OK that supposedly built trailers. Place an order with 1/2 down. They took a bunch of folks to the cleaners delcaring themselves bankrupt after a short time. Their offers on eBay and Craig's were awesome. I personally know 2 people who got took. One was wanting me to buy in partners on a stock trailer.

When I post something on Craigslist, I tell the future buyer to include full name and phone number in inquiry. I don't like to post my phone number.

Yeah it is a scam. Just ignore him.

I don't use paypal anymore I got hacked. The creep only got $95, but I got it back. Closed my account.