What are the benefits of burning pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

Newcutter

Reaction score
I have seen ranchers burn off there pastures. Could someone tell me what are the advantages of doing this and when would be a good time to do it?

We haven't been able to burn in a few years (circumstances beyond our control) and I wish we could! It kills off a ton of weeds, bushes, small trees, junk forage, etc. Pastures grow back a beautiful, lush green. Our land is so rocky & hilly we don't have the option of just cutting/brush hogging/clipping the pastures and we've looked into aerial application ($$$!). Not sure where you're located but around here everyone burns in March, April at the latest.

Different country but usefullness varies from district to district. On our light sandy soils African lovegrass is a big problem and people will burn that in spring but it produces a very intense fire and will kill off favourable species and favour more lovegrass growing back.

Ken

Here we got the wild buttercup to contend with in the spring ... It'll take over a burned field.. And choke out the new growth.. Forcing you to spray anyway...

It also kills bugs - like chigger. We used to burn our fields in Kansas when we lived there. Hated chiggers!!!
No one burns here in NY that I have ever seen. Hubby used to burn road ditch in spring.

Newcutter":1435ehq4 said:
I have seen ranchers burn off there pastures. Could someone tell me what are the advantages of doing this and when would be a good time to do it?
What are you needing to accomplish with the burning? Do you have warm season or cool season grasses? Big difference in the results

Burning helps control woody junk. Depending on what the grasses are that will dictate what time of year you burn. Around here for WSG we want to burn in early spring when the CSG hav started but the WSG is still dormant.