What am I??

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I have followed the threads on here that pop up about part timers, hobby farmers and the new one that I like called the "flashlight farmer". It has confused me on my own identity ;-) Here is my situation and maybe someone can clear up what I am...

I only have 75 acres
I have less than 40 head
I raise red and black angus w/ some jersey kid projects
I do have a head gate & squeeze chute
I give my own shots etc..
I do not have a diesel truck (1994 chevy 4x4 currently)
I work a "regular" job
I have done some chores by flashlight :lol:
I do have a registered bull
I do not have registered cows
I do own a cattle trailer (bought used)
I have 1 tractor (Ford 3910)
Raise my own hay (neighbor cuts it on shares)
I pet some of my cows...others I don't
Some of my older momma cows have names....the rest have numbers
I built my own fences
I do have a barn
Cows pay for land and taxes but little profit

OK.....am I a hobby farmer, a flaslight farmer, a part-timer or a hybrid???? I am soooo confused now! :cboy:

Seems to me you are a part-time hybrid hobby farmer who owns a flashlight.

Crowderfarms":13jmwf8r said:
jw":13jmwf8r said:
I have a "Q" Beam! What does that make me?
Part time broke back hobby sheep farmer who sells feed at inflated prices.

Muratic":3r307lp0 said:
Crowderfarms":3r307lp0 said:
jw":3r307lp0 said:
I have a "Q" Beam! What does that make me?
Part time broke back hobby sheep farmer who sells feed at inflated prices.
Muratic, another outburst like that un' and I'm gonna let our dirty little secret out the bag. :lol: You Ol' ho Dog... :shock: I have been bout breaking my back lately. The only back broke round here would be me.

jw":2dz65v1u said:

That there is a mouthfull.......hard to put that on mi bizness card....

Crowderfarms":1617kew1 said:
I have been bout breaking my back lately. The only back broke round here would be me.
Sure sounds personal to me. Might ought to get that looked at!!

Lot of difference in the part timer in the hobby guy IMO the part timer is doing it for the love of it and is really trying to make them pay.
The hobby guy is looking for an ag exception, hat, and truck.
Read an article a while back from TAMU the average rancher in Texas is over 50 now and runs 25 head. It was amazingly small number than ran over a 100 head.

Caustic Burno":1mhe44ax said:
Lot of difference in the part timer in the hobby guy IMO the part timer is doing it for the love of it and is really trying to make them pay.
The hobby guy is looking for an ag exception, hat, and truck.
Read an article a while back from TAMU the average rancher in Texas is over 50 now and runs 25 head. It was amazingly small number than ran over a 100 head.

If it dont rain this year that number is gonna get smaller,started plowing today,everything was good till I turned on the radio,long term weather forecast calls for a dry spring/summer..................good luck

I don't meet the IRS hobby farmer definition, but I am one. The truth don't hurt one bit. That's just how it is. The day job keeps me busy.

Caustic I wear a cap 24/7, except on Sunday mornings. But I do have a hat, somewhere. I know there's a hat in this house somewhere.

Now if anyone else would like for me to gather up some dried horse droppings, put them in a zip lok, and mail them to you so you can put them in your pockets and smell like the real deal, just let me know.

Campground Cattle":1wl42uk2 said:
Part timer for now, full time when I retire next January along with honey do's.

If you're counting in the Honey Do's then You're still going to be a part timer. :lol: :lol: :lol: Z

I am the one who brought that term flashlight farmer here. I got it from an NRCS guy from Texas. I am glad that the days are getting longer. My batteries were just about dead. I really hate running into a black bull on a dark rainy night when the batteries are dead. All you can see is his ear tag and that is the wrong dang number to be reading from this close.

Dave":2mh6th4f said:
I am the one who brought that term flashlight farmer here. I got it from an NRCS guy from Texas. I am glad that the days are getting longer. My batteries were just about dead. I really hate running into a black bull on a dark rainy night when the batteries are dead. All you can see is his ear tag and that is the wrong dang number to be reading from this close.

Been there done that too. Was heading to my tree stand one morning before daylight. I had to go through a section of standing cane in the creek bottom. I had a big black ornery steer that was bedded down in the cane. He was one that I could not catch....buck wild....we named him curly. Anyway I spooked him and he run through the cane in my direction. All I could see was a wave of cane moving toward me in my small flashlight beam. I felt like dropping my bow and running. I wound up waving the light and talking to him so that he would know that I was no danger. Luckily it worked and he turned and walked out the other side. Whew!

Ya know Hoss...if you were up in this part of the country I would probably be calling you...NEIGHBOR.

I consider myself as a full time, semi-retired, small herd beef (and soom to be egg) producer. Oh yeah, we sell a little produce on the side.
Dave Mc

Susie David":2n4cgvwm said:
Ya know Hoss...if you were up in this part of the country I would probably be calling you...NEIGHBOR.

I consider myself as a full time, semi-retired, small herd beef (and soom to be egg) producer. Oh yeah, we sell a little produce on the side.
Dave Mc

I would be proud to be your neighbor. I used to visit up in Lewiston, Idaho. Really nice country.

Latest posts