What am I

Help Support CattleToday:

Its a crossbred eared cow with some Hereford and Brahman in the background. Seen a many a one through the barn that coloration that Herf/Char/Brahman cross. I have a couple that I know the mating that are.

She is the cow on the far left the Char newborn is hers out of a homozygous Angus. The Char diluter gene pops up from time to time.

Ok, I am glad I asked, I could not see Brahman, the ones I see here are usually skinny and jumbo ears.

Her ears not overly large compared to Angus or Herefords she is in with, but her coat is short, and she is filling out nicely. Will see if I have a front on of head.

Any breeding issues you think ? Will prob put her with a decent Angus later, as will prob borrow a good bull later on.

greggy said:
Ok, I am glad I asked, I could not see Brahman, the ones I see here are usually skinny and jumbo ears.

Her ears not overly large compared to Angus or Herefords she is in with, but her coat is short, and she is filling out nicely. Will see if I have a front on of head.

Any breeding issues you think ? Will prob put her with a decent Angus later, as will prob borrow a good bull later on.

None I can think of looks like a worker to me.
Here's one that could have been her older sister with this years angus calf.

Do navels take a shape depending on breed ?

I have an angus like that and a bit bigger than that calf, also hereford.

I was trying to get a shot of head, will post later....

greggy said:
Do navels take a shape depending on breed ?

I have an angus like that and a bit bigger than that calf, also hereford.

I was trying to get a shot of head, will post later....

Yes, that kind of navel is characteristic of cattle with Bos indicus genetics. The SEC of college football is the largest cow calf sector in the US. Most of our commercial cattle have some Brahman in the family tree. It's not surprising that a Gelbvieh would have a Brahman navel. Gelbvieh were part of the LSU experimental breeding stations for years.

Here is a mugshot of sorts....

ears look like other Angus etc

20200301-113207.jpg

Maybe has simbra in it... I have a few that look similar. Even though we haven't had simbra bulls since last century, it pops out occasionally.

Latest posts