What am I missing ?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I am planning my Christmas day menu. Dinner for nine, 6 adults two girls an one boy..

Roast prime rib,,,roast duck ,,cabbage rolls.
Mashed potatoes and gravy.
Special stuffing from the duck (moms recipe it is yummy).
Tossed garden salad.
Baby beans and carrots in a butter sauce.
Cauliflower in a cheese sauce.
Fresh baked buns.
Condiments.
Pickle and olive tray.

Pumpkin and mince meat pie with ice cream for desert as well as assorted squares and tarts..and of course red and white wine as well as a selection of cocktails ..

I feel like something is missing, I haven't hosted in 5 years so I need a little help please.. :help:

You forgot to invite me :wave: ,I'm glad I was able to remind you in time so you can make a little extra.

Your meal sounds good to me. I would love to have a small sit down dinner like that. Holiday dinners are different no matter where you go and where the people were raised.

We did do the traditional stuff for years on holidays but too many people started to show up. The thing we run into is everyone wants something different and some people will not it something's, so we cook a spread. We do not cater to everyone but we do put out a verity of stuff and let them fend for them selves.

Right now we have 50 people on the list but it will not surprise me if 300+ shows up and we run out of food and just start tossing stuff together once dinner starts. Last year we had 45 on our list and ended up with 258. Thanksgiving we planned on 45 and ended up at 287 ending count I think. No one is allowed to bring any food (Kids under 15 months is ok). Every one drinks.

15 lbs smoked deer parts; depends on what I find in the freezer that we don't normally eat
5 beer butt wild turkeys
15 lbs smoked beef briskets
10 lbs smoke beef liver and onions
15 lbs smoked goat parts; depends on what I find in the freezer that we don't normally eat
5 beer butt wild ducks form the lake down the road
3 types of dressing
mashed red potatoes
beef and turkey gravy
salad – field of greens and what ever else is left in the green house
canned green beans and red tatters
stewed tomatoes
yeast rolls
fresh yellow squash and zucchini
fresh grilled corn on the cob
strawberry, lemon, mint, wild blueberry, and wild blackberry jellies
deviled eggs

10 rhubarb pies
10 Pumpkin pies
10 Apple pies
10 lemon pound cakes with; strawberry, lemon, mint, wild blueberry, and wild blackberry sauce

Every thing is coming off our farm but the eggs, goat milk, flower, sugar, and stuff like that. Eggs, goat milk, and goat butter come form the lady down the road.

What your missing is hte peace and quiet and tranquality of not having a bunch of people around.

dun":1pgf64dj said:
What your missing is hte peace and quiet and tranquality of not having a bunch of people around.

Amen to that.

Geesh mobgrazer, is that all family or are you cooking for the homeless :p . You are a better person than I ,no way I could pull that off for every holiday.

I like having a small family and it is plenty big enough for us. It will be a short but sweet dinner, show up, eat, go home..
Even with only nine people hubby still complains about having "all those people" around.. :lol2:

The size of our Christmas dinners keeps getting smaller and smaller. Mom will be 92 years old January 16th and all that is left is me and my little sister and spouses. A few of the grandkids and great-grandkids will drop in and out during the day but just Mom, my sister and BIL and me and my wife for lunch and dinner. But it seems like we have more time for quiet talk and discussions of old times and such. We get together Christmas eve and go to midnight mass then Christmas morning Mom will have a big old pan of cornbread dressing with a fat hen baked, deboned and mixed into it, baked ham, boiled okra, collard green, mac and cheese, creamstyle corn, a few other things and chocolate, coconut, and buttermilk pies. Coffee then served up about 3 pm along with more pie.

Were cooking for my family witch will be about 40 people. A bunch of farmers will show up that don't have families to be with. The volunteer fire and rescue squad will stop by to get food at some point.

Our Christmas will be the 27th this year. I'll start breakfast move the cows go home and sit in the living room. The kids will do the rest till about 7pm when I go move the cows for the night and then it's back to the family. Mostly we sit around, hang out, and eat.

As far as the cooking it's not that bad. I think the worst part is the salad and bread. The 22 we will pick and clean the field of greens and get the ears of corn ready. The tomatoes and green beans were canned this year so just heat them up. We just pulled the potatoes, onions, and celery out of the green house. We have already made the bread for the dressing and will mix it up on the 24th. We will do the pies and the pound cake on the 23rd. On the 25th will smoke and the meats, boil the tatters, heat up a bunch of canned veggies, bake the dressing, and make the rolls. Everything will be put out, we will use 2 steam tables and we will just keep dumping in the food till it's gone.

That sounds delicious but since you asked I'm going to meddle. You probably already got this but you gotta have some horseradish sauce with the prime rib. I also would put a pot of buttered mushrooms on the table and would personally prefer twice baked potatoes with plenty of cheese in them myself. But if you cheese up the taters and add a little garlic that'll do too.

Oh, you need some decoy food too. Something like pickled okra wrapped in sliced ham or some tarts or something to get all them folks out of the kitchen. I can't stand people hovering around when I'm creating culinary masterpieces. ;-)

Jogeephus":15geh98h said:
That sounds delicious but since you asked I'm going to meddle. You probably already got this but you gotta have some horseradish sauce with the prime rib. I also would put a pot of buttered mushrooms on the table and would personally prefer twice baked potatoes with plenty of cheese in them myself. But if you cheese up the taters and add a little garlic that'll do too.

Oh, you need some decoy food too. Something like pickled okra wrapped in sliced ham or some tarts or something to get all them folks out of the kitchen. I can't stand people hovering around when I'm creating culinary masterpieces. ;-)

I agree, here is my favorite all time horseradish sauce:
Horseradish Sauce:
1 heaping tablespoon freshly grated horseradish or 3 tablespoons bottled.
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Juice of ½ lemon
1 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
Stir horseradish, salt pepper, and lemon juice into whipped cream.

Horse radish was under condiments.. :) I have made my own somewhat like yours CKC but we came across Inglehoffer's a couple of years ago and their horseradish as well as Dijon mustard is to die for ..........

Eat beef you don't give a location but if you are close I would invite you over. :)

Jo Jee the last time I made horderves before the meal, crab stuffed mushrooms, dutch meatballs, shrimp rolls...Well, they all pigged out and we had to postpone the main meal a couple of hours so they could have room in their bellies. Hubby, Bil and Dad are bad for eating a lot when they really like the food...So no horderves this year ,but they had all better stay out of my kitchen ,I need my space and I think most of them have gotten it by now as they have been told enough times before. :nod:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. :tiphat:

Sounds just wonderful hd, I can't see a thing you are missing there. As far as that horseradish goes, I have to go with ck on that recipe. Awesome, really, :santa:

Sounds like you got it covered then. I'm glad you were aware it is illegal to serve prime rib without horseradish sauce. You'd be surprised at how many people do not know this FACTOID. ;-)

Misty, ya know I don't usually like to mess up the taste of my beef. I like the taste of beef and don't use A1 or other sauces, don't really like BBQ ribs unless they are the dry rub kind. BUT that whipped cream horseradish sauce is some of the best stuff ever on beef! :nod:

CKC1586 I read the horseradish recipe to my mom and my sister today and was told by both of them that I have to make it so I guess that is that. Now I have to get horseradishes, lemons and whipping cream..I hope I can find fresh horseradishes or the bottled.

dun":2zz05mbe said:

I never figured you for the anti-social type, dun! :lol2: :lol2:

msscamp":1md52vcf said:
dun":1md52vcf said:

I never figured you for the anti-social type, dun! :lol2: :lol2:

Not anti-social, just don;t care for very many people. I also subscribe to the old adage that relatives and fish begin to smell after 3 days but I modify it a bit. Most visitors start to smell after about 10 miinutes.

Jogeephus":b7afwyie said:

Decoy food. :lol: Gotta remember that one!

Latest posts