What am I missing ?

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":rpndf0od said:
msscamp":rpndf0od said:
dun":rpndf0od said:
What your missing is hte peace and quiet and tranquality of not having a bunch of people around.

I never figured you for the anti-social type, dun! :lol2: :lol2:

Not anti-social, just don;t care for very many people. I also subscribe to the old adage that relatives and fish begin to smell after 3 days but I modify it a bit. Most visitors start to smell after about 10 miinutes.

:lol2: :lol2: :clap: I could live with a hearty serving of pecan pie, a hot mug of doctored coffee and comfortable chair out in the barn so I could visit with the cows a bit. A pretty non-stressfull holiday. What exactly is "mince meat" anyway?

What exactly is "mince meat" anyway?

Well traditionally it was actually made with meat and then suet. My mom made it with suet a long time ago and when I heard what went into it I gagged. Now a days most make it with currents or raisins a heck of a lot of booze ,brandy, Cognac etc. mom's bringing that one. I do not like it but my parents and sister/bil do thus it is what is being served as with the pumpkin pie. I like pumpkin pie but not for Xmas but it is the only pie my sister can make so I said that would be fine. For the real desert it is strawberry cheesecake which I will be making tomorrow upon hubby's request/demand.. :lol:

Do you think I could find horseradishes anywhere or even the paste, I went to 5 different supermarkets this afternoon and was looked at like I was nuts...Who makes a roast beef this time of year, you are supposed to make a turkey.. :roll:

Well ,I found some really thick and hot gourmet horseradish sauce at a specialty store so I will try to use that and tweak the recipe. Unless you think wasabi flavored horseradish paste will work ?? :lol2: :lol: :help: The last time I made my own horseradish sauce was for our housewarming party 5&1/2 years ago and that was in the summer so all I had to do was raid moms garden in the city.. :p

Well, I went to the fridge and looked at my bottle of horseradish....it came from WalMart and it is "Fresh Ground Horseradish Coarse Cut Good-n-hot...Product of Silver Spring Gardens, Inc. Eau Clarie, WI"
Didn't realize it may be hard for folks to find. Prime Rib is pretty common fare for Christmas dinner in these parts.

I still don;t understand why anyone would take an excellent cut of meat and hide it with seasonings. A liitle salt is all that's needed. I like horseradish on kelbasa but not prime rib.

I agree as well except for the salt part ,a little fresh ground pepper is all you need.. :)

I don't mind if someone puts horseradish on my beautiful home grown roasts BUT I draw the line at ketchup, that piece of meat will be going to the dogs before I let someone defecate it with that crap.. ;-)

CKC1586":cfdp4rym said:
Jogeephus":cfdp4rym said:
That sounds delicious but since you asked I'm going to meddle. You probably already got this but you gotta have some horseradish sauce with the prime rib. I also would put a pot of buttered mushrooms on the table and would personally prefer twice baked potatoes with plenty of cheese in them myself. But if you cheese up the taters and add a little garlic that'll do too.

Oh, you need some decoy food too. Something like pickled okra wrapped in sliced ham or some tarts or something to get all them folks out of the kitchen. I can't stand people hovering around when I'm creating culinary masterpieces. ;-)

I agree, here is my favorite all time horseradish sauce:
Horseradish Sauce:
1 heaping tablespoon freshly grated horseradish or 3 tablespoons bottled.
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Juice of ½ lemon
1 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
Stir horseradish, salt pepper, and lemon juice into whipped cream.
CKC...just copied your horseradish recipe... the husband LOVES it on prime rib so I can't wait to do it for him. Thanks!

It is a really easy recipe and very tasty. I don't use A1, BBQ or sauces normally, just prefer the good taste of beef. BUT this horseradish in whipped cream stuff is great.... Enjoy.

Well dinner was a hit, even the picky 6 year old nephew ate.. :lol: All that work and chaos for one meal, it is kind of a let down when everyone goes home.. :(

On the bright side one of our waters heating elements quit so we have that to keep us entertained, you would think at least one store in the city that handled the stuff would be open on boxing day,,, but NO......Hey ya know it's a holiday when sh@t happens :p :help: ...

BTW the horseradish was a hit, I made it with the gourmet extra hot that I found,,that stuff would have been deadly by itself so I think maybe it really is a paste and not a sauce.. Anyways the whipped cream, lemon juice and HR was fab on the beautifully prepared roast (I will pat myself on the back for that one) ... :D

Thanks to all, I hope all of your meals were as wonderful as well, of course being surrounded by those you love makes everything tastes delicious... :heart:

Success. :clap: I was thinking yesterday after we ate, all the work and prepreations that went into the spread of food --- and it was over in about an hour. Sure was good.