What AI sires progeny are you impressed with? Which are you disappointed in?

Help Support CattleToday:

elkwc

Reaction score
So far a son of Brown's Double Decker maybe the best calf we have raised. The Stock Fund calves are good again. A little inconsistent in type and frame size. We got one Bloodline heifer that is good.
Disappointing so far have been the Baldridge Drag Iron calves. Bone has been lighter than I prefer. Muscling is average.

Have AI calves by S Architect, Sitz Intuition,and S Right Time 7861. I like them all not a bit disappointed in any of them.

Basin Safe Deposit 9324 made some nice calves with good rib shape and added some bone on most. Also greatly increased carcass traits according to our scan data. He was weaker than we anticipated on PAP scores and his EPD adjusted some after we turned in PAP scores. Not high altitude cattle (6500'+), but they did fine at our altitude (4800-6000'). Sold three daughters and kept one who is in the replacement pasture. Disposition seems to be mellow on all of them.

I have S Right Time 7861 calves on the ground and like them so far. Hope his PAP EPD is real. Have more in the tank for this year.

Square B True North scanned well and PAP'd well. Really like the yearling heifers and this year's heifer calves. The bulls are good, but could have had better growth (their dams were first calf heifers), but the heifers at this stage of the game are real good and weaned off heavy from first calf heifers. We will see what kind of cows they make next year.

Sitz Resilient has done well. Calves grow well and the ultrasound scan data was favorable. Have three daughters that are first calf heifers doing a good job and have had excellent dispositions. Bulls were hit and miss on disposition. A couple have been gentle and easy to handle and a couple could get a little hot under pressure. Have heard from others about disposition issues on progeny.

GAR Home Town - we only had one bull and he was a wreck. Bad feet, slab sided and bad disposition. Pounded him out as a yearling. A lot of it probably had to do with his dam. She was on the same bus to the sale barn for calving late on her second calf as well as other faults.

Basin Safe Deposit 9324 made some nice calves with good rib shape and added some bone on most. Also greatly increased carcass traits according to our scan data. He was weaker than we anticipated on PAP scores and his EPD adjusted some after we turned in PAP scores. Not high altitude cattle (6500'+), but they did fine at our altitude (4800-6000'). Sold three daughters and kept one who is in the replacement pasture. Disposition seems to be mellow on all of them.

I have S Right Time 7861 calves on the ground and like them so far. Hope his PAP EPD is real. Have more in the tank for this year.

Square B True North scanned well and PAP'd well. Really like the yearling heifers and this year's heifer calves. The bulls are good, but could have had better growth (their dams were first calf heifers), but the heifers at this stage of the game are real good and weaned off heavy from first calf heifers. We will see what kind of cows they make next year.

Sitz Resilient has done well. Calves grow well and the ultrasound scan data was favorable. Have three daughters that are first calf heifers doing a good job and have had excellent dispositions. Bulls were hit and miss on disposition. A couple have been gentle and easy to handle and a couple could get a little hot under pressure. Have heard from others about disposition issues on progeny.

GAR Home Town - we only had one bull and he was a wreck. Bad feet, slab sided and bad disposition. Pounded him out as a yearling. A lot of it probably had to do with his dam. She was on the same bus to the sale barn for calving late on her second calf as well as other faults.
It will be interesting to see how your Right Time progeny pap test. You are not the only Wyoming breeder to use him that is pap testing. So there should be enough data to get an accurate feel of using him at elevation. His calves are quite consistent and I do expect he will be replaced by a son at some point not too distant in the future.

Deer Valley Allin a disappointment as barely average with attitude problems from a former bull of the month club star.
First sign should've been flighty groups of calves sired by him. Overpriced and he got used way more than deserved, but had great numbers once upon a time.

Last edited:
I do like my GAR Ashlands, my first Ashland heifers are due to calve in July and am looking forward to seeing how they do at the job.
I have some DB Iconics both bulls and heifers that are coming up to 12 months which have grown pretty well to date so will be looking to how they develop.
I have some Mead Magnitudes of similar age that I feel have underperformed to date. They have grown frame but just seem a bit slow filling out. I'm hoping they do something over the next few months. 3 of the 4 are out of good well proven cows and so far they are not up to previous calves from these cows.

Ken

I do like my GAR Ashlands, my first Ashland heifers are due to calve in July and am looking forward to seeing how they do at the job.
I have some DB Iconics both bulls and heifers that are coming up to 12 months which have grown pretty well to date so will be looking to how they develop.
I have some Mead Magnitudes of similar age that I feel have underperformed to date. They have grown frame but just seem a bit slow filling out. I'm hoping they do something over the next few months. 3 of the 4 are out of good well proven cows and so far they are not up to previous calves from these cows.

Ken
Will be interested in how you're Iconic's develop. I have his semen in the tank. Started hearing mixed reviews. So haven't used him.

It will be interesting to see how your Right Time progeny pap test. You are not the only Wyoming breeder to use him that is pap testing. So there should be enough data to get an accurate feel of using him at elevation. His calves are quite consistent and I do expect he will be replaced by a son at some point not too distant in the future.
S Right Time 7861 daughter not even 3 months old. This one is thick and turning the crank.

Attachments

• IMG_20230530_145854.jpg
    IMG_20230530_145854.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
Will be interested in how you're Iconic's develop. I have his semen in the tank. Started hearing mixed reviews. So haven't used him.
Please elaborate on the mixed reviews. I was suspicious of using him when everyone jumped on the bandwagon but haven't heard much either way.

Please elaborate on the mixed reviews. I was suspicious of using him when everyone jumped on the bandwagon but haven't heard much either way.

I saw some positive comments from some I respect. Did some research and bought 4 straws from my tech. Was under the impression he was close to a 6 frame. Then have seen where he maybe smaller. That some are more refined in muscling and bone. Then saw one that was bought at Congress. He was the more refined type. Wasn't my type. Since have watched the results of a few sales in this area where they had 1-2 and they haven't been at the top. Glad to hear you stated yours are heavier muscled. Frame size is concerning me.

S Right Time 7861 daughter not even 3 months old. This one is thick and turning the crank.
No experience on your environment and the bull so a non-aggressive question: do you see her as feminine enough to be a solid replacement?

No experience on your environment and the bull so a non-aggressive question: do you see her as feminine enough to be a solid replacement?
Well, we will see in September/October when we wean. Her dam has been a solid cow here. NR 4/105 (her 2021 calf got kicked by another cow as a baby and died). I think she will belly down as she matures, but we shall see. Thanks for bringing it up. I appreciate an honest review.

Latest posts