What age would you breed limousin heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Pharmer

Reaction score
I am looking at buying some limousin heifers and breeding them to a pretty good low birth weight angus bull. What age is appropriate for this? Some of these are only a year old now. How old should they be when exposed to a bull?

I don't know much about limosin , but I like to wait until they are about 15 months old so they will be 2 years old when they calve.

I'm with Mr. Shorty. We raise Simmental, and at 15 months most heifers are ready for the Bull. That's what I shoot for with replacement heifers. May vary a little in relation to when we want her fresh.

If they are big enough I think you could expose them to they bull from 14 months on. If they are big enough to handle calving and raising a calf earlier than 2 years why not let them.

Pharmer":riyfkvpr said:
I am looking at buying some limousin heifers and breeding them to a pretty good low birth weight angus bull. What age is appropriate for this? Some of these are only a year old now. How old should they be when exposed to a bull?

Do you have cattle already, if not heifers is not the place for a wantabe to start at. If your a newbie wanting to raise a particular breed your money ahead buying older proven breed cows until you learn the ropes.

Pharmer,
I raise limousin stock and I don't see any difference in their breeding age compared to other breeds. I breed from 14 months on up, depending on size, etc.

Why the question....Has anyone told you different about Limo's? Just wondering.

Caustic wrote
Do you have cattle already, if not heifers is not the place for a wantabe to start at. If your a newbie wanting to raise a particular breed your money ahead buying older proven breed cows until you learn the ropes.

Speaking as a newbie wantabe. I'll have to agree with Caustic. I purchased 4 heifers to start with and it seems like it takes forever to get them to calf. Hard to learn when you have to wait a year or 2 before you get hands-on experience with calving, shots, weaning, ect, ect, ect...
You may have a dud that doesnt calf and then you've wasted time and money.
3 in 1s or bred cows would be the way I would go if I were to start over.

With some of the early maturing breeds use extra caution in breeding them too early. It is not uncommon for our heifers to cycle pre weaning and we don't leave them on till they're grown either. But if these are good sized yearlings (65% of estimated mature weight) and breeding to a easy calving angus bull I wouldn't think you would have problems calving. Just make sure they get all they need in forage to continue growing while supporting a pregnancy.

I mostly run calves but I do run about 30 limosin cows in a differant herd. I put them with the bull (limosin) at 15-16 months. I'm sure I could a little eariler but I don't want to have any calving problems. To me waiting an extra month is worth it. I ain't had to pull any in at least 4 years. I did have a heifer get bred by a neigbors great bigheaded charolais bull. She did fine and she was probally 14 months when she was bred. I do cull hard, any problems their gone.

when I started out afew years ago I stared with 5 heifers, I learned alot that first year, but then I still learning, whenever you think you have them figured out they pull something different on you.

Latest posts