what %age of cows settle first go round?

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
has anyone read or heard a statistic on what %age of cows fail to settle on first heat with natural service? assume the bull to be good... i guess what i am looking for is... how often does a cow fail to settle due to it being her fault?

thanks

jt

jt":1tnxj4lv said:
has anyone read or heard a statistic on what %age of cows fail to settle on first heat with natural service? assume the bull to be good... i guess what i am looking for is... how often does a cow fail to settle due to it being her fault?

thanks

jt

Many, many variables here. Physical condition of cow, outside temperature, number of cows cycling per bull, time since calving. We are trying to move up calving season this year, so the bull was with the cows when they calved. By our observations, less than half stuck the first observed heat after calving, but about 75% stuck the second heat. Apparently all stuck by the third heat. No preg checks yet, just observing for bull interest. We paid special attention this year because of moving the season and having a new bull. His motility was tested as 5 and the tech said very high 5.

jkwilson":2kny320i said:
jt":2kny320i said:

thanks

jt

Many, many variables here. Physical condition of cow, outside temperature, number of cows cycling per bull, time since calving. We are trying to move up calving season this year, so the bull was with the cows when they calved. By our observations, less than half stuck the first observed heat after calving, but about 75% stuck the second heat. Apparently all stuck by the third heat. No preg checks yet, just observing for bull interest. We paid special attention this year because of moving the season and having a new bull. His motility was tested as 5 and the tech said very high 5.

thanks jkwilson,

was hoping someone had seen a study on this... usually a study will classify the variables to cover as many situations as possible..

do you run a lot of cows per bull? just curious, a less than 50% rate seems low.

jt

jt":1q5zozgp said:
was hoping someone had seen a study on this... usually a study will classify the variables to cover as many situations as possible..

do you run a lot of cows per bull? just curious, a less than 50% rate seems low.

jt

No, probably about 20 cycling since we are trying to consolidate and move up our season. You have to remember, this was the first heat after calving, and some cycled inside a month. We don't normally have a bull with them until a couple of months after calving when they should have cycled a few times before hand and have a chance to physically and hormonally recover from calving. We made extra effort this year to have them come out of winter in good condition to make things work better.
Long term, my guess is that when randomly turning a healthy fertile bull in with a reasonable number of healthy, fertile cycling cows, you will stick about 70-75% on the first heat. Absolutely no scientific basis other than my recollections of turning bulls in on Memorial Day and noticing how many calves were born before March 15th. Even my dates aren't scientific
:oops:

i dont know what it is, but i would have thought about 90%... or better.. on healthy cycling cows..

maybe someone will know of a study done on this..

thanks

jt

jt":1mjix37j said:

thanks

jt

I've read in ABS literature that a good AI tech can settle cows about the same rate as a bull, 80% for first service. They didn't cite any studies, though.

thats true on the AI techs but reality is their rates are only as good as your heat detection meaning if you AI 20 cows how meny are truelly in heat an will settle when everything is done right scott

Latest posts