What age do you sell your calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Opinions on Selling calves from all of you here on the Cattle forum!

What age do you sell your calves? Do you sell them as you wean them, and if you do, what is the advantage over selling them as fat yearlings?

If you sell them as yearlings, what do you feel the advantage is over selling this over selling them as weanlings?
Thank you
Chuckie

I think you will get alot of different answers on this question. But, I personally sell them according to the age and what the market is doing at the time. I used to sell them around 600 lbs; but the way things are now, I see yearlings going for as much as a 7 month old calf will. I think that is in part because the feedlots would rather not pay all the costs to feed out a calf for another 5-7 months.
Most folks around here sell calves as they wean them; but a pre-conditioned calf will bring you more.

For years we sold based on the feed we had. 10 years ago, we switched and started keeping calves over till yearling all the time. The reason is simple. Profit. Double the profit by selling a yearling rather than a calf. This isn't new either, money has always been better in yearlings, unless you can sell 500 lb. calves for $800. :cowboy:

we sale the calves as yearlings or younger.an we want as much weight on them as possable.ive always liked selling calves at 700lbs or better.because they are ready to go right into the feedlot.thus cutting the # of days they are on feed.

I generally sell my calves I don't keep for bulls or replacements at arond 10 months of age, just shy of yearlings. My calves are born in Feb and March, and I haved always weaned and then backgrounded my calves for 90 days. Am changing a little this year, leaving the calves on the cow about a month longer. Normally wean around Labor Day, but will wait until the end of the month this year. Will only feed the calves 60 days this year, maybe only 45. Primarily to save on feed costs, but I do not believe I will sacrifice any growth on the calves. Forage will be very good the next 60 days before frost as moisture is abundant and the CSG will be good again.

It really depends on each person's preference and market. I believe that if your calves don't weigh at least 600 pounds, you better hold them until they do. Feeders don't want to feed the calves any longer than they have to, and will pay for the heavier calves.

Latest posts